SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geneva Convention and today

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Geneva Convention and today Reply with quote

Well....well....well. Now the Supreme Court wants to apply Geneva Convention rules to the ununiformed terrorists who aren't affiliated with any specific country or military.
How can this be?
Another travesty of justice if you ask me. I don't think we need to take anymore prisoners if this is going to be the case. Shoot em when you find em or let em go. Or put them in prisons in the country in which they are captured and let them deal with em.
I'm flabergasted.

Dusty
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This turned out to be a very puzzling decision, and not one of the SCOTUS's finest moments IMHO. How they could determine that Geneva Convention rules should apply to terrorists is beyond me. It should also be noted that Justice Roberts had to recuse himself.

What I've read on some blogs this morning suggests that the SCOTUS decision actually contradicts other articles and provisions of the Geneva Convenition (since I'm not a student of the Geneva Convention, I can't comment more on this aspect). If so, though, this would suggest that the decision was not based on finely honed legal interpretation of law and treaties, but rather on that old liberal "FEEL" principal.

BUT there seems to be a silver lining in all this. Originally, the administration did not want to hold tribunals for Gitmo detainees. The idea of holding such tribunals was a concession offered to all the outraged liberals who were objecting to us holding "quasi-" POWs without benefit of trial. In this morning's SCOTUS decision, though, the SCOTUS reaffirmed the administration's right to imprison (or hold) the GITMO detainees until cessation of hostilities. Thus, the decision, in effect, returns the GITMO detainees status right back to where it was before the tribunals were offered as a concession. In that regard, the administration apparently won big time!

I think it will take some time for all the implications of this decision to be understood, and I still think it was not the finest hour for our liberal SCOTUS justices.
four-niner delta
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New rule on the battlefield: No quarter! Kill 'em where they stand.

I've had it with all this damn theory about the constitution. Why don't we just let 'em go right now, bring 'em here and play "pattycake". Let's see how long it takes these people to kill as many Americans as possible, "theoretically of course". Between the NYT and now the Sup Court, what's going on in this country?!! Rolling Eyes
Mobile Riverine Force
A Co. 3/60 9th INF DIV
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Various outlets report that Senators Kyle and Lindsey Graham are introducing fast-track legislation to repair the travesty. Hopefully, someone in the House is doing the same.

Surely, we can't have the most recent promulgator of military tribunals, Franklin Roosevelt, patron saint of Democrats, besmirched by saying retroactively that he broke the law by executing persons convicted in such tribunals.

Since none of the Gitmo prisoners have been so tried, this should be solvable.

Geneva rights? Beam me up, Scotty! Rolling Eyes

Schadow
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PI,Art 5: The present Convention shall apply to [legal combattants] from the time they fall into the power of the enemy and until their final release and repatriation.
Should any doubt arise as to whether persons, having committed a belligerent act and having fallen into the hands of the enemy [are legal combattants], such persons shall enjoy the protection of the present Convention until such time as their status has been determined by a competent tribunal.

How 'bout that? Seems pretty darned clear to me.
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it apply to the 2 soldiers killed last week...
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did it apply to the 2 soldiers killed last week...

The legal answer to that is "No" - since AQ didn't sign the Geneva Convention.

What in the H__ is wrong with these people? It's like they expect and want us to operate with one set of rules, while our opponents are not bound by any rules at all. But never mind, that does seem to be the modus operandus of the progressive liberals already.

What really PO's me about this is that the 4 liberal and 1 wimpy Justices who formed the majority of this morning's decision, apparently didn't follow the Geneva Convention, or think themselves bound to it either.

Unless someone can convince me otherwise, this has got to be the most incoherent decisions ever.
Leeman
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear if i had anything to say about the situation.. I'd set them free in Massachussetts. !!!

"We are all Ghost now"
"But once we were men"

from an unsigned diary recovered from Cabanatuan Camp
minnie presley
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: cort decision Reply with quote

this is a sad day for america, the terrorists all over the world will be dancing in the streets tonite, thanks to our liberial justices, I am about to explode, what are they doing to this country, the enemies have more right than our troops, what can we do about this, I rthink all decent americans need to stand up and be heard, also we need to make sure dems pay a price in november, after pelosi statement today
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I made my point in an earlier post. The actual text of the Geneva Convention can be found here:

http://www.unhchr.ch/html/menu3/b/91.htm

If you go to Part I, Article 5, you will find the text I quoted earlier:

Quote:
Article 5

The present Convention shall apply to the persons referred to in Article 4 from the time they fall into the power of the enemy and until their final release and repatriation.

Should any doubt arise as to whether persons, having committed a belligerent act and having fallen into the hands of the enemy, belong to any of the categories enumerated in Article 4, such persons shall enjoy the protection of the present Convention until such time as their status has been determined by a competent tribunal.

In this morning's Hamdan decision Justice Stevens is quoted as:

Quote:
Justice John Paul Stevens, writing for the court, said the Bush administration lacked the authority to take the "extraordinary measure" of scheduling special military trials for inmates, in which defendants have fewer legal protections than in civilian U.S. courts.

Source:
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060629/D8II1D0G0.html

OK, so the SCOTUS decided (very bad decision) that the Geneva Convention applies to captured terrorists. They then said that such prisoners could not be tried by a military court (a.k.a., tribunal). But if the Geneva Convention applies, then Part I, Article 5 then would appear to apply - which specifically allows for a military court.

I just don't get it.... It looks to me that the SCOTUS has just rewritten the Geneva Convention, which damned sure ain't in their job description! Can anyone explain this to me (/us)?
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anker;
You are quoting the 3rd Convention that relates to the treatment of POW's. There are 3 other Conventions and 2 "Protocols" that may be the basis for Stevens' comments.

My reading of Convention III clearly excludes the inmates in Gitmo as POWs.

I believe Convention IV "Relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War , 12 August 1949." to be a more likely grounds for the SCOTUS ruling.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, JN173, but I don't think the Fourth Convention applies at all. It is clearly written to protect true civilians, i.e., the Jews of Europe, the Chinese civilians when Japan overran China, etc.

Fourth Convention text:
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/History/Human_Rights/geneva1.html

Whatever the formal legal status of the Gitmo detainees is, they, I believe, were detained because they were thought to be combatants - which is what the Third Convention applies to (if the Geneva Convention applies at all). The issue that I thought was at the heart of the matter was whether all the detainees were, in fact, being detained correctly as real combatants (or, i.e., were they just swept up as "innocents" among combatants). And that issue is specifically what the Third Convention, Article 4 addresses - i.e., how to resolve whether they were, in fact, combatants or not.

I think - no, I know - that a large part of this problem is that no one seems to know what the specific issue was that brought the case to SCOTUS and resulted in this morning's decision. I know darned well that the media - TV and press - and much of the blogosphere don't. Everybody seems to be operating and opining on what they "think" rather than facts.

Guess I'll just shut up and watch this circus since I can't do anything about it anyway...

Addendum. It's Article 44, of the First Protocol, where the trouble lies. Quoting from the Wikopedia version:

Quote:
Article 44. -Combatants and prisoners of war
This is the most controversial section of Protocol I. More specifically the paragraphs 3 through to 5. It is the primary cause for US administrations not adopt this protocol.

3. In order to promote the protection of the civilian population from the effects of hostilities, combatants are obliged to distinguish themselves from the civilian population while they are engaged in an attack or in a military operation preparatory to an attack. Recognizing, however, that there are situations in armed conflicts where, owing to the nature of the hostilities an armed combatant cannot so distinguish himself, he shall retain his status as a combatant, provided that, in such situations, he carries his arms openly:

( a ) During each military engagement, and

( b ) During such time as he is visible to the adversary while he is engaged in a military deployment preceding the launching of an attack in which he is to participate.

Acts which comply with the requirements of this paragraph shall not be considered as perfidious within the meaning of Article 37, paragraph 1 ( c ).

4. A combatant who falls into the power of an adverse Party while failing to meet the requirements set forth in the second sentence of paragraph 3 shall forfeit his right to be a prisoner of war, but he shall, nevertheless, be given protections equivalent in all respects to those accorded to prisoners of war by the Third Convention and by this Protocol. This protection includes protections equivalent to those accorded to prisoners of war by the Third Convention in the case where such a person is tried and punished for any offences he has committed.

5. Any combatant who falls into the power of an adverse Party while not engaged in an attack or in a military operation preparatory to an attack shall not forfeit his rights to be a combatant and a prisoner of war by virtue of his prior activities.

And it should be noticed that this points back to the Third Convention, which specifically calls for tribunals to determine whether a detainee is a combatant or not.

2nd Addendum. The actual words (vs. the Wikopedia version) of the First Protocol - Article 44 is the relevant article - are here:

http://%20www.unhchr.ch/html/menu3/b/93.htm
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: The Ruling Reply with quote

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2487638612433437293&q=Veterans

Quote:
.......we conclude that the military commission convened to try Hamdan lacks power to proceed because its structure and procedures violate both the UCMJ and the Geneva Conventions. Four of us also conclude, see Part V, infra, that the offense with which Hamdan has been charged is not an "offens[e] that by ... the law of war may be tried by military commissions." 10 U. S. C. §821.

greasepaint
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this issue is troubling.

it is one thing for,
a military tribunal to decide if a person
was an illegal combatant, or not.

something else entirely, for a military tribunal,
with nothing from Congress,
to start rendering verdicts and punishments,
on whoever they please.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: