SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SecNav - Don't Tread on Me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: SecNav - Don't Tread on Me Reply with quote

We've a 'new' flag proudly flying from our Warships...to help 'NEVER FORGET'...I somehow blinked on this one back in 2002...

"The Secretary of the Navy, Gordon R. England, has ordered all U.S. Navy ships to fly the First Navy Jack (Rattlesnake Jack) in place of the Union Jack for the duration of the Global War on Terrorism. In a memo to all ships and stations, England explained, "The temporary substitution of this Jack represents a historic reminder of the nation's and Navy's origin and will to persevere and triumph."
--instruction dated 31 May 2002 (SECNAV Instruction 10520.6)

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq122-1.htm
or for those with money...
http://www.hebookservice.com/products/bookpage.asp?prod_cd=c6205

My question to you sailors is this:
Given that during a time of war, the Navy could 'commandeer' the entire US sailing fleet ( ie, private vessels, etc) does that mean those of us currently plying the waters with our favorite toys can fly the Rattlesnake Jack, as well, til the Global war on terrorism is over??? ie just to show whose side we're on!

Deuce
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the law is, but I'll bet you could get away with it. That way, if you were captured by pirates, you could claim POW status under the Geneva Convention. Laughing
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's talking here about a 'jack', not an ensign. An ensign is not a junior officer but the national flag. Underway the ensign flies from a gaff on the main mast. Moored the ensign hangs from the stern post. The 'jack' is a variation of the ensign and was the starfield of the stars and stripes for the US, the meatball vs. the rising sun for the Japanese etc. It is not flown underway. It is mounted at the bow when moored. You're welcome to fly any jack you like but privateering is not recommended.

-Wlm Shakespeare
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:
He's talking here about a 'jack', not an ensign...You're welcome to fly any jack you like but privateering is not recommended.

How's 'bout if I was absolutely certain that the other boat's crew were all lawyers!! Wink

Deuce
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Deuce,

What's 50,000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?....a good start.

The difference between a dead skunk in the road and a dead lawyer in the road?.....you'll see skid marks in front of that skunk.

The difference between a catfish and a lawyer?....one's a bottom feeding scum sucker and the other's a fish.

da da boom..

-Wlm Shakespeare
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: