SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lieberman Will Petition As Independent

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Lieberman Will Petition As Independent Reply with quote

His opponent is very wealthy and backed by Soros, MoveOn, etc.
Unbelievable what the moonbat Left has done to Dem candidates.
Anyone know who the Repub candidate for Senate is?
Quote:
Lieberman Will Petition
1:45 PM EDT, July 3, 2006
By MARK PAZNIOKAS, The Hartford Courant

Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman announced today he will petition for a place on the November ballot as an "independent Democrat," giving him a chance to stay alive politically should he lose an Aug. 8 primary for the Democratic nomination.

Lieberman, 64, a three-term senator whose outspoken support of the war in Iraq has brought months of grief and inspired a strong primary challenge from Greenwich businessman Ned Lamont, announced his decision this afternoon at a brief press conference at the State Capitol.

"I've been a proud, loyal and progressive Democrat since John F. Kennedy inspired my generation of Americans into public service and I will stay a Democrat, whether I am the Democraitic party's nominee or a petitioning Democratic candidate on the November ballot," Lieberman said. He added that he would, even if re-elected as a petitioning candidate, remain a member of the Senate Democratic Caucus.

Even should he lose in August -- and the most recent public poll shows him leading Lamont by 15 percentage points among likely primary voters -- Lieberman would retain his status as a registered Democrat. His name would not, however, appear on the ballot line with other Democrats.

Lieberman began making courtesy calls to leading Democrats late this morning. Among them were Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada and Connecticut's Democratic state chairwoman, Nancy DiNardo.

Most other Democratic candidates already have said they would support the winner of the Aug. 8 primary.

For months, Lieberman has refused to rule out running as petitioning candidate should he lose the primary, though he said recently he would not withdraw from the primary under any circumstances.

Lieberman will need to gather 7,500 signatures to guarantee a ballot place, an effort likely to begin next week.

Lamont, 52, the founder of a cable-television company, has contributed $1.5 million of his own money to his campaign. Lamont also has raised hundreds of thousands of dollar in small donations, mostly over the Internet.

His candidacy has been widely supported by a network of local and national Web logs.

Lieberman was accompanied at the brief press conference today by his wife, Hadassah. Reporters were still shouting questions as he got into his car and left the Capitol grounds.

Hartford Courant
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe is gonna stick it to them. This will effectively serve to split the demo vote in the general election should he not survive the primary. I assume the next step will be a call for his ouster from the democratic party. Any history on such a thing?
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too bad the Democrats want him gone. Joe has always been a honest and sincere person, but he doesn't fit their liberal-extremist philosophy. Joe Lieberman and others like Zell Miller have been conservative democrats all their lives and the current democratic liberal policies are at odds with them. These people support our troops, even when doing so hurts them politically. Maybe they should be called Ameri-crats to distinguish them from the anything-to-further-a-liberal-agenda democrats (Hillary, Gore, etc.) that we know so well.
I live in New York. It's hard being a conservative here.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Lieberman Will Petition As Independent Reply with quote

shawa wrote:
Anyone know who the Repub candidate for Senate is?

There are two as of now (names in bold):

Quote:
Republican Hopes to Take on Conn. Senator

Monday, April 17, 2006

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) -- A former state legislator and mayor announced Monday he will seek the Republican nomination to challenge U. S. Sen. Joe Lieberman. Alan Schlesinger, a former six-term state representative and mayor of Derby, becomes the second Republican hoping to unseat the Democratic incumbent.

Lieberman also faces a challenge within his own party from an activist critical of his support for the war in Iraq.

"I'm really concerned that our hard-earned tax dollars are being frittered away by our representatives in Washington," the 48-year-old Schlesinger said at a news conference at the Capitol. "I want Senator Lieberman and other folks serving in Washington to answer that. "

Paul Streitz, of Darien, is also seeking the Republican nomination, while Ned Lamont, an anti-war candidate from Greenwich, is challenging Lieberman within the Democratic party.

The two parties will endorse candidates on May 20, and primaries are possible in August.

Source

Schadow

EDIT: Just noticed the date of this article. Things may have changed by now. Back to Google.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1 said
Quote:
Joe is gonna stick it to them. This will effectively serve to split the demo vote in the general election should he not survive the primary.

I agree that Joe would win the general election as an independent.
The Left activists come out in droves in the primary and could well defeat Joe. But in the general election I think sober-minded voters, independents, and even Republicans would vote for Joe.
It appears the Repub candidate is Schlesenger but he can't win, and to prevent an ultra-Lib from winning, a lot of Republicans would vote for Conservative Lieberman. I know I would.

This article from a couple weeks ago shows the unbelievable madness Lieberman is facing from the Libs:
Quote:
Lieberman on the Brink
He struggles to survive a blog-fueled primary challenge.
By John Dickerson
Posted Tuesday, June 20, 2006, at 7:05 PM ET

At the fund-raiser for Democratic Senate candidate Ned Lamont in Chester, Conn., on Sunday, it got very Brokeback Mountain very fast. A volunteer handed me Lamont's campaign DVD, but the candidate wasn't on the cover. Instead it was decorated with a heart-shaped picture of his opponent Sen. Joe Lieberman and President Bush mooning into each other's eyes. Lamont is on the back, in a picture of the same shape, gazing at his wife. A popular button at the Sunday fund-raiser depicted Bush kissing Lieberman at the State of the Union in 2005.

Online liberal activists started e-mailing and linking to video of that kiss before Lieberman's cheek was dry.

For them it is the ultimate symbol of Democrats who have caved to the GOP. Lieberman is the chief capitulator, reviled for supporting the Iraq war and nuzzling up to President Bush on everything from energy policy to Social Security reform. This anger has fueled their support for Lamont in the Aug. 8 Democratic primary and made Lieberman's race to win a fourth term one of the fiercest battles for the soul of the party. But while Lamont's primary challenge has inspired a blizzard of blogs, it's not clear whether the Greenwich cable company executive can catch on like the kissing video. Has he tapped into a winning political movement, or does he just have a bunch of supporters who can type quickly?

Continued at: http://www.slate.com/id/2144093/

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe he should just switch parties? Be honest with his constituants, the Democrats are nuts and over the top with the hate Bush lines, he supports the government and the constitution.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit that I don't live in Lieberman's neck of the woods, so what I think I know about him is gained from a distant view. I have read that on social issues, his voting record is one of the most liberal of all the Senators.

But he supports his country (as opposed to party) where it really counts, and he's been courageous to stand up to the far left and the KOS disciples, and I darned sure admire him for that. I may not agree with his social liberal reputation, but I can't help but admire the fact that he's one of the few men of principle and integrity remaining in Washington.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawa wrote:
I agree that Joe would win the general election as an independent.

Perhaps I was unclear but, in the unlikely event that Lieberman loses in the demo primary, a split democratic ticket with Lieberman running as an independent might provide an opening to a republican candidate in the general election...just supposin'.
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a real pity that they are trying to run Joe off. While he's considered a conservative to them, the Republicans would probably consider him a moderate. So, now more than ever, it's a crime to be a Patriot in the democratic party. That's really what it is, imo.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a split democratic ticket with Lieberman running as an independent might provide an opening to a republican candidate in the general election...just supposin'.

That's what my first thought was, and why I asked who is the Republican candidate.
Finding out it is Schlesinger dashed that idea.
He just isn't a big enough name, only polls at 15-20% in a 3-way race.
My concern is that Lamont is really picking up steam. He has cut Joe's lead from 20 points to only 6 points in latest Rasmussen poll.
Quote:
Due to the anger many Democrats have about Lieberman’s continuing support for the war in Iraq, it is not clear whether Lieberman the three-term Senator will win re-nomination from his own party. The latest Rasmussen Reports poll on the Primary Race shows Lieberman nursing a six-point lead over Lamont. Lieberman had a 20-point lead over the challenger in our previous survey.

Check it out at: RASMUSSEN
God help us we don't need another rabid anti-war-liberal Senator!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: