SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Independence Day, Not The Fourth Of July

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doc Farmer
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Independence Day, Not The Fourth Of July Reply with quote

Independence Day, Not The Fourth Of July
Written by Doc Farmer
Tuesday, July 04, 2006

I'm back home for the holiday, and it's good to be in America on the anniversary of its birth. I'll probably celebrate in the traditional way. I'll spend it with my folks. If the weather is good enough, Dad and I will probably barbeque something for ourselves (and incinerate something for Mom -- well done is such a misnomer!). I'll say a prayer thanking God for the freedoms that most other Americans take for granted. That prayer also thanks God for the men and women gave so much to ensure those freedoms.

Oh, and I might see if I can get some sparklers. Personally, I'd much rather have REAL fireworks (see also: ordinance), but you've got to make due in today's wussified, litigious, anti-patriotic PC atmosphere.

The one thing I won't do, however, is misname this holiday. The date of America's anniversary may occur on July 4th, but to me, it's never the Fourth of July. It's Independence Day. The day America became independent of a King and a Parliament who gave not a fig for what WE wanted, needed, or paid in taxes.

Independence Day is more important to Americans -- REAL Americans -- than any other "National" holidays. Please note I don't include Christmas here, which is a national holiday (small n) but not a "National" holiday (Big N). That's a religious holiday, with a national scope, which is why it's celebrated. Jews don't complain about it, Muslims don't complain about it, Druids don't complain about it -- unless they're lib/dem/soc/commie, that is -- because it means they get a paid day off. Besides, Jews and Muslims recognize Jesus as a great prophet, so they don't appear too offended by the concept of the VAST majority of American's celebrating the declared date of His birth.

Independence Day is an American day. It's not like Bastille Day (when the Cheese-Eating-Surrender-Monkey-Bastards exchanged a corrupt monarchy for a corrupt civil government). Oh, sure, those of us who aren't boycotting Froggy-land will celebrate with baguettes and brie and (hopefully) Californian wine, but that's about it. No parades of people walking down the street surrendering. Independence Day is not like Cinco de Mayo, where our not-so-neighborly neighbors to the South commemorate their great military victory over.... well, the Cheese-Eating-Surrender-Monkey-Bastards. Which, to me, would be sort of like having America celebrate the day that George Washington drop-kicked a kitten across the Delaware. It's not like Guy Fawkes Day, where the British celebrate the day that some guy FAILED to blow up Parliament. Considering what Parliament does these days, I'd think they'd have celebrated a lot more if he succeeded!

Independence Day is about the only American holiday that hasn't been turned into a three-day weekend. It was lousy enough that they took the birthday of George Washington (First President, Father of our Country) and the birthday of Abraham Lincoln (The First Great Emancipator -- Reagan was the Second, and Bush 43 is the Third), and combined them into a generic "President's Day." Think about this. Two great presidents, whose actions were of such grand scope and import, are lumped together with lesser presidents like Kennedy or FDR (still important presidents, don't get me wrong here) and also with MUCH lesser presidents like Nixon and Carter and Clinton. All to have an excuse to extend a weekend and come up with a bunch of cheesy sales -- usually at places like Jo-Ann Fabrics and Duct Tape ‘R Us.

Independence Day is a remembrance day. Like Memorial Day, Flag Day, Veteran's Day and others, it is a day to reconsider what our Freedoms are, and what those Freedoms cost. The price has never been low. It's always been paid in the blood of our bravest. That's why the tradition of the Parade is so important. A tradition which seems to be waning, sadly. It's important because it gives folks like us the opportunity to openly thank our service men and women. To stand and place our hands over our hearts as the Flag passes by. To cheer and applaud our troops and our veterans as they march or ride down the street. To listen to high school marching bands play "Louie, Louie." Well, Sousa seems to be on the downturn, so you work with what you've got.

Independence Day is also a day of thanksgiving. Fortunately, one that does not include turkey (although Dad's Swiss Louie dressing makes up for the bird), but does include reflection on what we have to be grateful for, as a nation. We are the freest, the strongest, and the BEST nation God ever put on the face of this planet. This is not jingoism; it is the truth. We have freed more people -- our own, and those across the world -- than any other nation in history. These people were freed from enslavement, freed from terror, freed from tyranny, freed from starvation, and freed from desperation. We've paid a high price for their freedom -- and our own -- but nobody with more than 17 active brain cells could argue that it was worth it. This excludes many lib/dem/soc/commies and the vast majority of politicians of every political persuasion as well, sadly.

Independence Day probably means more to me than most "average" Americans. Not because I'm better than them, or smarter. It means more because most Americans have never been outside of America. They've not seen how other countries work. Oh, they watch the Discovery Channel or read National Geographic, but believe me it is NOT the same thing. I've learned much from other countries. How they view freedom. How they view America. How their rights and freedoms differ from ours. All of the countries I've visited have their own laws, rules, customs and good points. Well, except for Froggy-land -- can't think of one damn good point there. But none of them -- NONE -- offer the freedoms, the rights, the legacy of liberty and self-determination, which America provides.

Independence Day also means more because of my Dad and my Mom. Dad served in the Navy for 21 years. He served in two wars. He, to this day, still stays active in veterans affairs as well as other volunteer services. And as much as he served in the Navy, so did Mom. She kept the home fires burning, raised her children well, and worked her butt off to keep the family bound together when times were hard and Dad was out protecting our freedoms. Yours, too.

Independence Day gives me a chance to thank my Dad, my Mom, both my brothers-in-law who served in the Army, and every other man and woman who served, alive or departed, for my very life.

I hope you never again think of this day as the Fourth of July, but as what this holiday truly is.

Independence Day.

God Bless America.

About the Writer: Doc Farmer is a writer and humorist who is also a moderator on ChronWatch's Forum. He formerly lived in Saudi Arabia and Qatar, but now resides in the Midwest. Doc receives e-mail at docfarmer9999@yahoo.co.uk.

Source

ADV: "I HAVEN'T HAD A GLASS OF WATER IN 20 YEARS." Drinking tons of water is great...if you want to raise your stroke risk, bring on kidney failure, and encourage early Alzheimer's. This is just one example of how MASS MEDIA MEDICINE is ruining our health. YOU CAN LIVE LONG and LOVE every minute of IT! http://www.isecureonline.com/Reports/RHB/W6RHG603/

Fat, Bald and Ugly - And PROUD Of It!
NortonPete
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put Doc.
On the 4th I called my friend Reggie Clark (89) who fought in WWII in the 34th RED BULL and thanked him. He is very lucid and we talked about his service in North Africa Tunisia and then his being pinned down at Anzio.

He was contacted by the BBC to relate his experiances at Cassino but declined telling them they would not report accurately.

He is sharp as a tack, and throughout history soldiers like him saved our Independence.

Nice piece.
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NortonPete wrote:
Well put Doc.
On the 4th I called my friend Reggie Clark (89) who fought in WWII in the 34th RED BULL and thanked him. He is very lucid and we talked about his service in North Africa Tunisia and then his being pinned down at Anzio.

He was contacted by the BBC to relate his experiances at Cassino but declined telling them they would not report accurately.

He is sharp as a tack, and throughout history soldiers like him saved our Independence.

Nice piece.

That is the type of person I would love to hear 'real' history from... wish I could meet him..
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I celebrated Independence Day with my ninety-two year old friend Ron, who joined the Navy in 1931 and retired in 1956. He has been retired for fifty years. He was a corpsman with the Marines in the Pacific through WWII and Korea. He has some really great stories. He is my hero.

I am taking him and his wife to the State military department later this month to get new permanent ID cards. My wife and I are also getting new ID cards. I am turning sixty years old and qualify for retired pay from twelve years active duty in the Navy beginning in 1964 and then ten years in the Oregon Army National Guard.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this article. Definately to be shared and stored in the save file.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: