SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

White House Moves To Confirm Bolton to U.N. Post

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: White House Moves To Confirm Bolton to U.N. Post Reply with quote

A good move. Get the ball rolling now to confirm him. He has proven himself worthy of the appointment by the tremendous job he has done.
Even crybaby Voinovich says he will now vote for him. Let the Dems try to block him, they will only label themselves obstructionists.

Quote:
White House Moves To Confirm Bolton to U.N. Post
Reuters

WASHINGTON - Senate Republicans on Friday scheduled a confirmation hearing on John Bolton, who is serving as U.S. ambassador to the United Nations on a presidential appointment, as the White House renewed its bid to get Bolton approved by the Senate.

The Senate Foreign Relations Committee announced it will hold a hearing with Bolton on July 27 and top Senate Republicans said they would move quickly to confirm President George W. Bush's pick.

Bush bypassed the Senate and appointed Bolton during a congressional recess last year after Democrats blocked his confirmation amid accusations he had used his position as the top U.S. diplomat for arms control to bully intelligence analysts.

The White House moved again for a Senate endorsement after Ohio Republican Sen. George Voinovich, who joined Democrats in blocking Bolton last year, said on Thursday he now backs him.

Senate Republicans and the administration expressed confidence Bolton would be approved this time, particularly with the need for an experienced hand at the United Nations during the Middle East crisis.

A spokesman for Sen. Richard Lugar, the Indiana Republican who chairs the Foreign Relations Committee, said the Senate would probably vote on Bolton in September, after its summer recess.

Voinovich welcomed the fresh bid to confirm Bolton, saying he "has done a good job and proven his willingness to work multilaterally."

Several Democrats said they still opposed Bolton, a harsh critic of the United Nations known for an abrasive manner.

Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware, top Democrat on the Foreign Relations Committee, said on Thursday Senate should not vote on Bolton unless the White House turns over documents that the Democrats sought last year.

Biden also said Bolton's U.N. performance "confirms my conviction he is the wrong person for this job" and the administration should find someone else.

Senate Democrats have not yet discussed whether to try to block a vote on Bolton, a spokesman for Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada said.

White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said there was a desire to move to a Senate vote because "people have seen the fruits of John Bolton's labor at the United Nations," and said he was "doing a tremendous job."

Bolton's current appointment expires in January, when this Congress ends. Bush could reappoint him, but he could not receive a salary.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=2221570

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen, Bolton ranks favorably with Adlai Stevenson and Daniel Patrick Moynahan and may well be the best ever of the best in the UN post. It's just a shame that his talents have to be wasted in that corrupt and incompetent asylum.

I'm sure Biden will continue to stamp his feet like the kindergarten crybaby he is, but Bolton will be confirmed.

Schadow
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Washington Times this morning:

Quote:
Senate Democrats have promised a "bruising fight" over the administration's nomination of John R. Bolton as U.S. ambassador to the United Nations.

Mr. Bolton's nomination was sent out of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee last year without a positive recommendation after Sen. George V. Voinovich, Ohio Republican, voted against him. Democrats then twice filibustered a vote on his confirmation once the nomination was sent to the Senate floor, forcing President Bush to make a recess appointment to fill the vacancy.

Mr. Bolton's temporary appointment is set to expire this fall, when Congress adjourns. However, the Senate has scheduled a debate this week on extending Mr. Bolton's appointment through the end of the Bush administration. On Thursday, Mr. Voinovich announced that he no longer is opposed to Mr. Bolton, all but guaranteeing that his nomination will be sent to the Senate floor with a positive recommendation.

"I think Senator Voinovich's announcement was -- obviously, I much appreciated it, and I think it represents a fairly dramatic change in the political dynamic in the Senate," Mr. Bolton told "Fox News Sunday."

However, some Democrats have continued to express opposition to his nomination.

While appearing on CNN's "Late Edition" yesterday, Sen. Christopher J. Dodd was asked whether he could now support Mr. Bolton's nomination.

"No, this is going to be a bruising fight," said the Connecticut Democrat and Foreign Relations panel member. "I regret this. I'm sorry the administration wants to go forward with this. The problems still persist. ... Many ambassadors at the U.N. feel that he hasn't done a good job there. He has polarized the situation."

Democrats have not said whether they intend to filibuster the nomination again. However, Sen. Joseph R. Biden Jr., the ranking member on the Foreign Relations Committee, hinted that a filibuster was possible.

"Instead of wasting time and playing politics, the administration should nominate someone else to take Mr. Bolton's place," the Delaware Democrat said.

Mr. Biden said he will continue to demand access to administration documents withheld from Mr. Bolton's nomination last year. Mr. Biden said the Bolton nomination should not get a confirmation vote "unless the administration provides the Senate with the documents it is entitled to see."

When asked about his prospects, Mr. Bolton told Fox, "All of the Republicans, I think, are now supportive, and I think a number of Democrats will be as well. So we'll do this one step at a time, have a hearing this coming Thursday and see what happens after that. I think the main thing is allowing the nomination to come to a vote on the floor of the Senate."

Source

Dodd says, "Many ambassadors at the U.N. feel that he hasn't done a good job there." Can there be a better recommendation for confirmation?

Schadow

Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our freeper friends have a highly entertaining thread (at least for those of us who find sKerry little more than a pompous self important borea$$ ) on the CSpan 3 coverage of the hearing. You'll find sKerry in the posts 500-750 or so. John Bolton pretty much had his way with our wannabee war protestor-in-chief....It's a classic. Between Obama (who asked 'Josh Bolten' a question) and Kerry, it's hard to believe that the Dems would want to do it again in September. They're just lucky it wasn't televised live. Tho' it's due to replay at 10:30am Sunday on CSpan! Unless the DNC can pull the plug that is.

Deuce
PC
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deuce wrote:
Our freeper friends have a highly entertaining thread (at least for those of us who find sKerry little more than a pompous self important borea$$ ) on the CSpan 3 coverage of the hearing. You'll find sKerry in the posts 500-750 or so. John Bolton pretty much had his way with our wannabee war protestor-in-chief....It's a classic. Between Obama (who asked 'Josh Bolten' a question) and Kerry, it's hard to believe that the Dems would want to do it again in September. They're just lucky it wasn't televised live. Tho' it's due to replay at 10:30am Sunday on CSpan! Unless the DNC can pull the plug that is.

Deuce

Here's the CSPAN video. It's long but if you scroll forward to around 3:19:00 you'll see the very end of Obama and all of Skerry. It's amusing in that there is obious mutual disdain. Also note Skerry's pronunciation of Hezbollah in that the Senator, who we all know is not only nuanced but also speaks French, just can't resist a very obviously affected pronunciation.

http://c-span.org/homepage.asp

The link doesn't go direct so you have to go to Video Library and then click on Congress. Then scroll down a bit to:

Nomination Hearing on John Bolton's confirmation on his appointment to be U.N. ambassador.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to the play-by-play on freerepublic:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1673129/posts

These congressional hearings seem to get more bizarre (and more one-sided) all the time. Makes you wonder if the raving moonbats are ever going to get tired of being at the receiving end of these smackdowns? Embarassed

They just keep pontificating for their "base" and they appear completely unaware that they've just been shown complete fools for the entire world to see.

Surely, at some point, even the most strident leftist has got to say, "No-ho-ho.... not me! I got handed my *** last time and I don't want any more of that!" Laughing

Bolton calmly walked rings around every single one of those screeching monkeys.
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a lil snip from U tube Wink

John Kerry gets Pwned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXypOf3Umf8&search=bolton%20kerry
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching it when it occured. I almost fell out of my chair. Bolton handed Kerry his head on a platter. Beautiful combacks.
Loved it. Way to go John Bolton.

Dusty
Tom2
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another link I learned about from Doc Farmer at ChronWatch in case these are down. Silky Poodle's part begins at about 3:19:30. This is one of the many great shellackings in his career. It's a joy to watch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: