SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AP et al disinformation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: AP et al disinformation Reply with quote

Yup, some real AP-style "journalism" on display here...(emphasis mine)

Quote:
News in brief from western Pennsylvania
Associated Press

JOHNSTOWN, Pa. - Members of the group that targeted presidential candidate John Kerry are setting their sights on U.S. Rep John Murtha.

The group, Veterans for Truth, is reformed from the Swift Boat Veterans For Truth (ed. Rolling Eyes ) and will hold a rally in October to "Redeploy John Murtha From Congress," according to Mark Parker, state chairman.

Murtha, a retired Marine colonel, has been an outspoken critic of the war in Iraq.

Diana Irey, a Washington County commissioner, who has been critical of Murtha's comments about the war, is running against him.

Murtha defended his support of the troops. He said his opposition is a policy difference and everybody has the right to an opinion.

Members of the group will be in Johnstown on Thursday to detail plans for the rally.

Times Leader

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And more of the same here... (do I detect a theme? emphasis mine)...

Quote:
Vets set sights on Murtha

By SANDRA K. REABUCK
The Tribune-Democrat

The “Swift Boat” veterans who grabbed national headlines in 2004 when they attacked John Kerry in his failed presidential bid now are turning their sights to Johnstown. (ed. Rolling Eyes )

Their target is U.S. Rep. John Murtha, a critic of the Iraq war and a de facto spokesman on the subject for the national Democratic Party.

Armed as a new group – Veterans for the Truth – they’re bringing their campaign to “Redeploy John Murtha From Congress” to his backyard.

They plan to hold a national rally in Johnstown in October “to show their outrage at John Murtha over what he is saying about our troops,” state chairman and former Johnstowner Mark Parker said in a release.

The Tribune-Democrat - cont'd
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The press never Got it and still doesn't Get it. The SwiftVets and POWs for Truth is devoted to preventing Kerry from obtaining the offic of POTUS and no other issues. Swifties (as a group) do not get involved in politics outside of this one issue. Targets of opportunity are confronted on a personal level (by individual swifties acting on their own) and not through the SVPT organization.
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

murtha wrote:
Murtha defended his support of the troops. He said his opposition is a policy difference and everybody has the right to an opinion.

But not everyone has the right to a correct opinion, nor does everyone have a right to their own version of the facts, Mr. Murtha.

-- FDL
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
The press never Got it and still doesn't Get it. The SwiftVets and POWs for Truth is devoted to preventing Kerry from obtaining the offic of POTUS and no other issues. Swifties (as a group) do not get involved in politics outside of this one issue. Targets of opportunity are confronted on a personal level (by individual swifties acting on their own) and not through the SVPT organization.

BuffaloJack, you are so right. I have gotten calls from the local Republican party asking me to join them because of the past election.

I told them that my only time involved in politics was because of Kerry and it was not a Republican support thing or Bush.

As I disagree with Murtha and Kerry, it is up to their states to elect their own losers and they can live with them and I hope they have nightmares living with losers.
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I'd get things confused if I had been reading that news article too! The name is so close that I can see how SWIFTBOAT Veterans for Truth can be confused with Vietnam Veterans for Truth or Veterans for Truth which are Capt. Larry Bailey's groups.

On the web site, Murtha must go, is an explanation of how they were formed and what they are doing in Pennslyvania. There is no mention of our group!

http://murthamustgo.blogspot.com/2006/06/mmg-exclusive-operation-street-corner.html
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty obvious from this misinformation debacle that the press doesn't do it's homework.
Reminds me of grade school level diligence to details at work here.
Where do they get these people and why can't they do their jobs correctly?
I guess they just don't care and no one is bothering to check out the facts.
Our future in America is in for a very rough ride I'm afraid.
Monumental incompetence.

Dusty
Psycmeistr
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm Leo Pusateri, the founder of Murtha Must Go!.

I apologize if I put anything misleading regarding Swift Vets and POWs for truth...

Is there anything I need to know to set the record straight?

-Leo-

Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly enough, The Tribune-Democrat has, apparently, corrected the error in their original story...

Kudos to Ms. Reabuck for the correction (and perhaps she can clue-in her colleague at the Times Leader)

Quote:
Veterans' group sets sights on Murtha

By SANDRA K. REABUCK
The Tribune-Democrat

The group Veterans for the Truth is targeting U.S. Rep. John Murtha, a critic of the Iraq war and a de facto spokesman on the subject for the national Democratic Party.

They group is bringing its campaign to “Redeploy John Murtha From Congress” to his back yard.

They plan to hold a national rally in Johnstown in October “to show their outrage at John Murtha over what he is saying about our troops,” state chairman and former Johnstowner Mark Parker said in a release.

Details of the rally will be outlined at a news conference at 11 a.m. Thursday in front of Murtha’s office at 647 Main St.

The Tribune-Democrat - cont'd

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psycmeistr wrote:

I apologize if I put anything misleading regarding Swift Vets and POWs for truth...

-Leo-

No apologies necessary Leo.

Welcome to our forum and good luck with your campaign.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPI is now getting it right...after an apparent mis-reporting of the story (see below)...

Quote:
Group that attacked Kerry takes on Murtha

JOHNSTOWN, Pa., Aug. 1 (UPI) -- Vietnam Veterans for Truth, formed to attack John Kerry during the 2004 presidential campaign, has a new target, U.S. Rep. John Murtha, D-Pa.

The group has changed its name to Veterans for Truth and plans a rally in October in Johnstown, Pa., with the theme "Redeploy John Murtha from Congress," the Johnstown Tribune-Democrat reported.

Murtha joined the Marines during the Korean War and volunteered for duty in Vietnam in 1966. In 1974, he became the first Vietnam veteran to be elected to Congress.

A longtime supporter of a strong military, Murtha has become an outspoken critic of the war in Iraq.

Veterans for Truth accuses Murtha of letting down the military serving in Iraq. The group said it planned to announce details of the rally at a news conference Thursday.

"Nobody has done more for the troops than I have," Murtha said in a statement. "This is a policy difference and everybody has the right to an opinion."

UPI

Here's the "Google News Alert" on the very same story...

Quote:
Group that attacked Kerry takes on Murtha
United Press International - USA
1 (UPI) -- "The Swift Boat Veterans for Truth," formed to attack John Kerry during the 2004 presidential campaign, has a new target, US Rep. John Murtha, D-Pa.

Rolling Eyes
Psycmeistr
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A longtime supporter of a strong military, Murtha has become an outspoken critic of the war in Iraq.

The only way he supported a "strong military" was via the defense pork that he could get for his own home district.

Psycmeistr
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
Psycmeistr wrote:

-Leo-

No apologies necessary Leo.

Welcome to our forum and good luck with your campaign.

Thank you kindly for the welcome~

-Leo-

Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Times Leader now has a corrected AP version as well...

Quote:
News in brief from western Pennsylvania
Associated Press
JOHNSTOWN, Pa. - A veterans group is setting their sights on U.S. Rep John Murtha.

The group, Veterans for Truth, will hold a rally in October to "Redeploy John Murtha From Congress," according to Mark Parker, state chairman.

Murtha, a retired Marine colonel, has been an outspoken critic of the war in Iraq.

Diana Irey, a Washington County commissioner, who has been critical of Murtha's comments about the war, is running against him.

Members of the group will be in Johnstown on Thursday to detail plans for the rally.

The Times Leader
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone must have put a bug in their ear. They would never make corrections like this on their own surely.

Whatever, glad to see they have made the proper corrections.

Dusty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: