SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Romney, Kerry Spar Over Fight on Terror

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Romney, Kerry Spar Over Fight on Terror Reply with quote

I love Mitt Romney's caustic put-down of Kerry. The shallow-brained one figures that just getting Osama will end terrorism. What a twit!!!

The Boston Globe
Quote:
Romney, Kerry spar over fight on terror
Governor raps senator for criticizing Iraq war
By Rick Klein, Globe Staff | August 12, 2006

WASHINGTON -- The terrorist attack foiled by British authorities prompted a battle of words yesterday between a pair of presidential contenders from Massachusetts, with Governor Mitt Romney lashing out at Senator John F. Kerry for suggesting that the war in Iraq has harmed the nation's security.

Kerry, the Democrats' 2004 presidential nominee, seized on news of the disrupted plot as a ``stark reminder" that Osama bin Laden remains at large and said it shows that Al Qaeda has ``grown in strength" since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

``Osama bin Laden and Al Qaeda have succeeded in isolating the United States," Kerry, a Democrat, said during a conference call organized on behalf of Patrick Murphy, a Democratic candidate in a Pennsylvania House race. ``Afghanistan and Pakistan are where the fight against Al Qaeda is, not in Iraq."

Asked about Kerry's comments during an appearance on the MSNBC cable network, Romney blasted Kerry. The governor said the senator failed to recognize that the United States is locked in a long-term war against terrorists and that Iraq is a central front.

``I think it shows a complete lack of understanding of the kind of enemy that we're facing," said Romney, a Republican. ``This is not a small group of wackos in the hills that all we have to do is go find one person and it suddenly goes away."

The exchange was one of the few times that Romney and Kerry, both of whom are contemplating 2008 presidential runs, have tangled publicly on a national issue since Kerry lost his White House run to George Bush in 2004.

Their comments were made as members of both parties scrambled for a political edge following Tuesday's arrests in what authorities called a well-planned, sophisticated terrorist scheme to destroy jetliners in midflight from London to the United States.

Republicans cast the arrests as evidence that President Bush's aggressive antiterrorism policies are working. Democrats pointed to gaps in US transportation and border security and missteps in Iraq to argue that the nation is more vulnerable than ever.

In the MSNBC interview, Romney avoided a question about the president's decision to attend a fund-raiser near his Texas ranch as the details of the terrorist plot unfolded yesterday. Romney skipped a political event in Michigan on Thursday evening because of the arrests and subsequent disruptions at the airport. Rather than defend the president, Romney flipped the question, accusing Democrats of using the sobering news from London to score political points.

Now is not the time for ``the politics of attacking America or attacking our policies," Romney said. ``Surely there's going to be a debate on what's the right policy to defeat the jihadists. But this isn't the time to be attacking the president. It's not the time to be engaging in partisan sniping."

In turn, Kerry's communications director, David Wade, questioned the governor's knowledge of issues related to Iraq and terrorism.

``Mitt Romney's command of national security is about as real as the weapons of mass destruction in Iraq," Wade said.

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It boggles my imagination everytime I hear another anti-war lefty talk about Bin Laden, as if he is the only figure we need to capture. The few that have a notion of how to stop terrorism amaze me even more with their naivete.

I addressed this misled notion last night in another blog site I have, Debunking the Anti-War Left

If only things were as rosey or as easy as they seem to think they are.
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sKerry PLUS David Wade's command of National Security doesn't pass the laugh test! Both seem little more than video game educated, policy wonk wannabees. As Annie Coulter continues to say, the Left's answer to the war on terror is to attack President Bush, Cheney, Condi Rice, Rumsfeld and ...Ann herself, their only enemy! and Lew, you're spot on, the left is focusing on Usama, when they take the time to get off this administration's back, while the enlightened in our gov't are focusing properly on the War on Terror. While the excuses from the left get more and more entertaining, they really should get their heads out of the sand!

Deuce
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
It boggles my imagination everytime I hear another anti-war lefty talk about Bin Laden, as if he is the only figure we need to capture. The few that have a notion of how to stop terrorism amaze me even more with their naivete.

I addressed this misled notion last night in another blog site I have, Debunking the Anti-War Left...

Lew,
That's quite the site, well produced, you're hitting on all cylinders with it...oughta get some traction! Your:
Quote:
[the NVA/Viet Cong communists] goal then was just to enslave Viet Nam under Communism. Islamofascist terrorist’s goal is to enslave the entire world under their sick, degrading and oppressive form of Islam...
says it all! The left's comparing the war on terror to 'another vietnam' is laughable! The stakes are much higher now, and the left is slowly jamming the 'stake' up their flatulent, gassy [place where the sun don't shine]! How a large, fragmented but somewhat intelligent (they are theoretically human after all) group can so universally get it wrong is almost beyond belief...the only thing you can do is think of Michael Moron and his followers all on a large 747 over the atlantic at the same time...kinda like your speech teacher used to say " think of the audience as if they were in their underwear"!
Again, congrats on the site, keep it up!
Deuce
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At today's PRO-HISBALLAH RALLY IN WASHINGTON (!), Ramsey Clark called for President Bush to be impeached, and waved Hizballah flags.

1. Why, two days after averting a terrorist plot to blow a dozen planes out the sky, are we having Pro-Hisballah rallies in Washington?

2. Why is Ramsey Clark not committed to a mental institution?

Seriously , we have a great, big, fat problem in today's U.S., which is the stepchild of the 1960's left: the adulation of murderous, psychopathic, medieval thugs and pure evil by a large portion of the population. Call it John Kerry's spawn.

-- FDL
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that one Shawa. Good to see someone take Scary apart in public. I got to agree with Mitt that there is a complete lack of understanding in much of anything going on in Kerry's head.

Good blog Lew, enjoyed the rants. You are right on the money as usual.

Starting to look to me like we really do need a base on the moon.
Anyone who thinks America is the great Satan, that Hezballah is not a terrorist organization, that Osama and his henchmen are just misunderstood underfed poor folk freedom fighters, and people who utter nonsense that aids our enemies get to go to the moonbase and build thier own little corner of 'another world'.
Since they are living in one already.

Dusty
davman
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine the moon base being attacked by Martians. The New York Times, Kerry, Kennedy and the rest would go insane trying to understand them, and figure out how the United States caised their pain and anger. We would obviously have to be to blame for such hostility!
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention the fact that then they really WOULD be 'MoonBats'

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: