SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

And what about John Bolton?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: And what about John Bolton? Reply with quote

How much chance that Bolton will get confirmed at the U.N. post is left now?

I'd say not much.

Dusty
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that Joe Biden will now be the Chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, I agree with you Dusty. Not gonna happen. And it is a real shame because Bolton has really proven great at the UN.

Biden's comment today:"going nowhere"

Quote:
Bolton a shot duck at UN

WASHINGTON: John Bolton's troubled tenure as US ambassador to the UN is "going nowhere", a key Democratic senator said yesterday after the Democrats' election victory.

Mr Bolton, the controversial former undersecretary of state in charge of non-proliferation, was nominated by George W. Bush to be UN envoy in March 2005.
After his confirmation was blocked in the Republican-led Senate, Mr Bush made a recess appointment, which will last until the new Congress convenes in January. But Democrats are unlikely to vote to extend Mr Bolton's tenure.

Democrat Joseph Biden of Delaware is expected to chair the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. "I never saw a real enthusiasm (for Bolton's nomination) on the Republican side to begin with. There's none on our side. And I think John Bolton's going nowhere," he said.

Before the poll, there was talk of Mr Bush re-submitting Mr Bolton's nomination. Another possibility was having Mr Bush appoint Mr Bolton to another US government job so he could still be paid but assigning him to work at the UN.
The Australian

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can this get much worse? I venture to answer yes. There is just no silver lining and I am sure Bolton will be out of that U.N. job just as Rummy is out of his. There is more to come. Sad

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

"Wednesday Hero - Google It!"
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, President Bush sent Bolton's re-nomination to the Senate today.
We shall see.

UPDATE: Bush wants confirmation in the lame-duck session while Republicans still hold the majority.
This could be interesting.

ABC NEWS
Quote:
Bush makes push for approval of UN envoy Bolton
By Caren Bohan
Reuters
WASHINGTON - President George W. Bush will make a push to get confirmation for John Bolton as U.S. ambassador to the United Nations before power in Congress shifts to the Democrats, the White House said on Thursday.

The White House formally renewed its request that the Senate take up Bolton's nomination. But Jim Manley, a spokesman for Senate Democrats, said they continued to resist Bolton's confirmation and "he is unlikely to get a vote any time soon."

Bolton, the controversial former undersecretary of state, was blocked by the current, Republican-led Senate after Bush nominated him in 2005. But he has been serving as the U.N. envoy under a temporary "recess appointment" that allows him to serve until the new Congress convenes in January.

However, his prospects in the newly elected Congress look even less promising. Voters in Tuesday's election handed dominance of the U.S. House of Representatives to Democrats, and control of the Senate -- which has the power to confirm or reject Bolton -- is also expected to switch to Democrats pending the outcome of a race in Virginia.

White House spokesman Tony Snow said Bush discussed a desire to get Bolton confirmed during a breakfast meeting with Republican congressional leaders at the White House on Thursday.

"This is something that we think is important, that he stay there," Snow told reporters.

The outgoing Congress is set to convene next week to wrap up its business before the end of the year. Bush also is seeking confirmation during that time for former CIA Director Robert Gates, his nominee to replace Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.

Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware, the expected chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee in a Democrat-led Senate, said on Wednesday he thought Bolton's nomination was "going nowhere."

"I never saw a real enthusiasm on the Republican side to begin with. There's none on our side," Biden said.

But State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said the United States needed someone like Bolton at the United Nations to deal with issues such as Sudan, North Korea and Iran.

He said Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice had spoken to congressional leaders from both parties and "is ready to do whatever she needs to do in order to help John get confirmed."

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
greasepaint
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would anyone,
other than Bolton,
think that this issue is important?
joeshero
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the Democrats are planning to nominate Michael Moore for the Post. Or maybe Al Franken or Barbara Streisand? And then they can say "Peace for me, btu not for you."

I think it should be a law to have term limits for Senators. Senator Biden and his gang like Byrd and Kennedy have been around for too long. They are liabilities to the country.
lwilson
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Won't Confirm Bolton? Reply with quote

If the new, more sensitive, more European, Congress fails to confirm John Bolton, what would happen if the President refused to send an envoy to the UN?
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another recess appointment?
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Maybe someone else has a better grasp on the legalities, but I read somewhere that he couldn't be recess appointed again.

After Bolton's very contentious confirmation hearings, followed by his recess appointment, I was under the impression that a lot of people who opposed him initially had changed their minds - both Democrats and Republicans. So the knee-jerk reaction of Democrats to his formal appointment seems to me to be nothing more than just a replaying of the old obstructionist tape. The first of many to come, I'm afraid. Bi-partisanship, my behind!
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snipe wrote:

Possible, but he can't be paid.

So, not likely.
davman
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion for a recess appointment:

Don Rumsfeld
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: