SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Donald Rumsfeld The Man

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Donald Rumsfeld The Man Reply with quote

I pulled this article from my "It's A Keeper" file.
It was written last year and I saved it as an in-depth, revealing look at a brilliant, dedicated man.
Quote:
Donald Rumsfeld: Old Man in a Hurry
By Thomas P. M. Barnett | Jul 1, 2005 |

Excerpt:

To change the culture of the Pentagon, he'd start with people, not technology. He knew that achieving any kind of meaningful transformation was going to be damn near impossible without new people, given the entrenched interests in the Building and the old ways of thinking. For new thinking, Rumsfeld sought out old friends.

In addition to Marty Hoffman, there was Tom Korologos, the grand old man of Washington politics, who had managed his confirmation in 1975 and would do the same this time, too; Paul Wolfowitz, the ideologue in the room, who would come on as his deputy; Steve Cambone from National Defense University, who was the new boy, having met Rumsfeld in the 1990s while working on the Rumsfeld-led Space Commission and Missile Defense Commission; Bill Schneider, Rumsfeld's favorite gray eminence, who would later become chairman of the Defense Science Board; and Ray DuBois, who had met young Congressman Rumsfeld in 1967 when he was working as an intern to Chuck Percy, the senator from Illinois, and then went with him to the Pentagon. He would become "mayor" of the Pentagon this time around.

"I was all of twenty-one when we met," says DuBois, "and I told friends at the time that I had met this guy named Rumsfeld who had been captain of the wrestling team at Princeton. I said, 'He's a young man in a hurry.' So I worked for a young man in a hurry when he was forty-three years old and became secretary of defense, and now I'm working for an old man in a hurry. Same guy, different age, same impatience, still in a hurry."

There was great excitement around the table. "Can you believe it? Can you believe we're all back?" was the feeling. And there was a growing sense of the enormous task that lay ahead......

Well worth the read at: Esquire
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks shawa, that is a keeper.

Dusty
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article Shawa and thanks for posting it! Dusty is right it sure is a keeper! Wink

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

"Wednesday Hero - Google It!"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr. rumsfeld,
if you ever get to this site
know that alot of us are appreciative of the work you did and thank you for your service
don't ever let the bast**ds get you down
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: