SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bill mandates soldiers get more than a '$30 medal'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Bill mandates soldiers get more than a '$30 medal' Reply with quote

Quote:
Bill mandates soldiers get more than a '$30 medal'
Lawmaker wants Medal of Honor to be 90 percent gold, like award given by Congress

By JOHANNA NEUMAN
Los Angeles Times

WASHINGTON — One day after President Bush awarded the coveted Medal of Honor to a Marine who died after throwing his helmet and his body on a grenade in Iraq, a California congressman introduced a bill to require the Pentagon to put more real gold in the medal.

"For those very few soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines deemed worthy of our nation's highest military honor, surely we can afford more than a $30 medal," said Rep. Joe Baca, D-Calif.

A conservative Hispanic who opposed the Iraq war, Baca instructed his staff to find out how much gold was in the Medal of Honor, which has been awarded to only two soldiers in Iraq: Sgt. 1st Class Paul Ray Smith and Marine Cpl. Jason Dunham.

Baca's staff discovered that the medals, which vary in design, size and composition, were made of brass and covered in gold. The Army's version cost $29.98, while the Air Force's design tallied $75.

Both versions, however, paled next to the $30,000 Congressional Gold Medal. That award, which Congress gives with some frequency to celebrities and dignitaries, is 90 percent gold.

"The medal we gave to Frank Sinatra is worth a thousand times more than the ones we give our heroes in uniform," Baca said. "Ain't that a shame?"

Baca's bill would require the military to make its Medal of Honor with the same percentage of gold.
... more
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/4484748.html

A medal of honor winner will always be a hero in my eyes no matter what the medallion is made from; but 22K gold is nice.
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that you could make it of solid gold and ring it with diamonds, and it would not increase its value any more. I cannot imagine any warrior awarded the MOH being concerned with the material with which it is constructed.
I'd rather see a lifetime livable pension for his widow if awarded posthumously and/or an educational trust fund for his children.
I have heard that the children of MOH winners get automatic appointments to the military academies, but not all may desire military careers, nor do all who desire such meet the physical/acedemic requirements for such, and it is the least a greatful nation should do.
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: