SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can Democrats Square the Circle with Webb?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
becca1223
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Can Democrats Square the Circle with Webb? Reply with quote

Quote:
Can Democrats Square the Circle with Webb?
By David Limbaugh
Friday, January 26, 2007

Democrats have a new rock star, and I'm not talking about Barack Obama -- the most recent victim of the Clinton smear machine. I refer to Virginia senator James Webb, who delivered the Democrats' response to the president's State of the Union address.

Ever since 9-11, Democrats have been searching for that magical formula (or politician) that would restore their foreign policy credentials during this time of war. Given their well-earned reputation for weakness on defense, this is no small order.

You will recall the pathetically forced military imagery accompanying Sen. John Kerry's acceptance speech at the 2004 Democratic Convention. Kerry's speech, from the bogus opening line: "Reporting for Duty," was a calculated sales pitch aimed at convincing TV viewers they should disregard his and his party's antiwar record and listen, instead, to their empty promises to be tough on terror.

cont'd:townhall.com

baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, contrary to the poodle from Mass., Webb is a genuine war hero, and was once a Reagan democrat, though he seems to have morphed into more of a Pelosi democrat of late. I would have to see more of him before coming to any kind of opinion of his current defense posture.
He does come from good stock........West Virginia Scots/Irish who have traditionally been most patriotic and willing to serve when called, and trace their lineage back to "Bravehart" and Robert the Bruce of Scotland.
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like him. he is rude and nasty. And he contradicted himself in his 'speech'. nope, don't like him AT all.
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
USMCWayne
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a Webb fan for a long time. His history is the purest and best of Americana.

That doesn't mean he's the brightest, nicest, or most forgiving person.

Webb is certainly polarizing, but I don't see him as being wishy-washy.

He definitely speaks from the heart, is direct, and is more middle-of-the road than many people give him credit, or chastise him, for.
Jerald L. Parsoneault
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Webb is mean-spirited. He lost me when he made public comments about wanting to slug the President.

Nalt
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugh Hewitt has posted an essay from a fellow Naval Academy Graduate addressing Webb's "reponse."

From A Naval Academy Graduate To Senator Webb
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lew for posting that great essay. "seething" is such an apt description of Webb's demeanor.
Sorry folks who admire Webb, but I can not like or trust a man who is 'seething' with dishonesty.
How do you square this??
How can he do this kind of flip-flop??
I can only see it as opportunistic on his part, he KNOWS the leftist anti-war crowd sapped our will to win in Vietnam
and NOW he joins them??
You can put him in the same boat with JK as far as I'm concerned!!!

TALK ABOUT "INTELLECTUAL DISHONESTY???
James Webb wrote this article in 1995 (when he was still a Republican)about the anti-war left re our loss in Vietnam.
Ten years later, he embraces the same anti-war movement and lying presstitutes in order to get elected to the Senate.
Now HE joins those who want our enemy to win!!

Quote:

The Triumph of Intellectual Dishonesty
By James Webb

~SNIP~

The Anti-War Left: Hoping for a Communist Victory
The reason, which remained either unspoken or unreported during the anniversary coverage, was stated most honestly and directly to me by George McGovern, who unfortunately was off-camera at the time. During a break while taping the CNN Crossfire show, after I had made a comment regarding the ability of the U.S. under the right leadership to have adjusted its strategy early on and prevailed in the war, the antiwar candidate who had once promised to go to Hanoi on his knees if he were elected President turned to me and announced in his emotionless monotone, "What you don't understand is that I didn't want us to win that war."

The people who directed the antiwar movement did not care whether McNamara had a workable strategy, or whether it could have been adapted to circumstances. They did not care whether Nixon's Vietnamization program might have worked. They did not care whether the South Vietnamese should have been given an adequate chance to adjust their strategy after the American withdrawal. And they did not care whether the communists signed a pledge guaranteeing free elections and a peaceful reunification of the country. Quite simply, they wanted the communists to win.
Those who were adults during the Vietnam era know this truth full well. Others, however, particularly our children, have seen it glazed over and even denied as the reality of what happened after 1975 became ever more clear.

The failure of the media to show these old luminaries and their younger disciples in this true light is important for reasons beyond anger, finger-pointing and the assignment of blame. Only by understanding their deeper motivations can future generations comprehend the making and ultimate failure of American policy during that period, and the subsequent refusal of our media elites to speak and write honestly after South Vietnam's fall.

Only by comprehending that Vietnam was the first war where a generation's elite not only excused itself from fighting but often openly supported the side that was killing their own countrymen can we understand the persistent defamation of those who served. And only by comprehending that the antiwar movement's dilatory effect was Hanoi's greatest ace in the hole can we understand why the communists had few reasons ever to compromise at the negotiating table.

Read it all at:Front Page Magazine
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visiting "Insight.com" in order to get THEIR perspective on the ongoing Obama/Madrassah/alleged Clinton "Swiftboating?", I was, quite coincidentally, presented with a Mark Steyn commentary which touched on the above...

Quote:
Steyn: Hillary is wrong to think leaks to Insight about Obama's Muslim past will work with Dem voters
Commentary by Mark Steyn
Posted On: 1/24/2007

<snip>

That poll about Iraq I mentioned right at the beginning was very interesting. It came out last week and it posed various questions about whether folks thought the “surge” was a good idea or not. Including the following:

“Do you personally want the Iraq plan President Bush announced last week to succeed?”

And here’s how the American people answered: 63 percent said yes, 22 percent said no, 15 percent said they didn’t know.

Let me see if I understand that. For four years, regardless of this or that position on the merits of the war, almost everybody has claimed to “support our troops.” Some of us have always thought that “supporting the troops” while not supporting them in their mission is not entirely credible. But here we have 37 percent of the American people actually urging defeat on them. They “support our troops” by wanting them to lose. This isn’t a question about whether you think the plan will work, but whether you want it to work. And nearly 40 percent of respondents either don’t know or are actively rooting for failure. Which is to say: more dead American troops and more dead Iraqi civilians. Asked whether they want the surge to succeed, 34 percent of Democrats answered “No,” and so did 19 percent of independents and 11 percent of Republicans. What were the numbers like for D-Day?

The problem isn’t that our politics is “bitter” and “partisan,” so much as that it’s post-modern. In Congress, Democrats have decided to chip away at the war with various symbolic postures but not to oppose it outright: that way, if things go well, they can muscle in on the credit, but, if things go badly, they’ll be able to say they told you so without getting stuck with the blame. Over on the other side, the usual Republican squishes (Olympia Snowe et al) have decided that “the facts on the ground” have mysteriously changed and their position on the war is now “evolving.” By “the facts on the ground,” they mean the ground around the polling booths back home rather than any ground in Baghdad or the Sunni Triangle. Somewhere far away there is a real country called Iraq where real people live and die. But Iraq in domestic terms is now mostly a political calculation and, when it comes to calibrating the precise degree of Defeat Lite that works best for one, most Democrats and more and more Republicans are pushing the rest of the planet to the farthest fringes of the map.

Insight
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: