SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where are these Veterans?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Kahuna
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Where are these Veterans? Reply with quote

I see where the news reports that the majority of veterans now support John Kerry. I've not met any of them!

I can't believe that any vet would support someone who treats medals as Howdy Doodies, betrays his friends, meets (more than once) with the enemy, lies about his service, and votes against vets every time.

What am I missing?
Top 10 Weasels.com is where Kerry is Weasel #1
84rules
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are these Veterans? Reply with quote

Big Kahuna wrote:
I see where the news reports that the majority of veterans now support John Kerry. I've not met any of them!

I can't believe that any vet would support someone who treats medals as Howdy Doodies, betrays his friends, meets (more than once) with the enemy, lies about his service, and votes against vets every time.

What am I missing?

Good question, BK. I've only met one Vet that supports John Kerry. All the rest that I know are 1000% against him.

I don't know whom they polled or where they polled from, but nobody ever polled me. I'm willing to bet that they polled a sample of former member of VVAW and decided that they spoke for all Veterans.
sore loser
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are these Veterans? Reply with quote

84rules wrote:
Big Kahuna wrote:

What am I missing?

Good question, BK. I've only met one Vet that supports John Kerry. All the rest that I know are 1000% against him.

I don't know whom they polled or where they polled from, but nobody ever polled me. I'm willing to bet that they polled a sample of former member of VVAW and decided that they spoke for all Veterans.

You from Michigan?? I know a Purple Heart Vet who supports Kerry, or at least he did last time I talked to him a few months ago. If it's not the same guy that makes 2.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean, BigKahuna.... all the polls I've seen lately show Kerry in damn near freefall among veterans and active duty. Question

Last numbers I saw 57 - 40/Bush
Doc Jerry
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the same numbers 57-40 against Kerry just in the last 2 weeks. Those numbers will grow before this is all done. In most unscientific polls on vet sites, the numbers are 9-1 against Kerry.

Go Air Force!!! Medics, we're there when you need us.
84rules
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are these Veterans? Reply with quote

sore loser wrote:
You from Michigan?? I know a Purple Heart Vet who supports Kerry, or at least he did last time I talked to him a few months ago. If it's not the same guy that makes 2.

Nope. I'm from Northern Virginia. But I will be travelling to Sault Ste. Marie next week.
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I AM!!! I AM!!! GO BLUE!!!

But I don't live there. Joined the AF after graduation and only go "home" to visit family and friends...but I do have several friends in Michigan who I know are for Bush and against Kerry...and I continue to BOMBARD my family and friends who are not with anything I can get my hands on to help change their minds. I will up until November
Traildust
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work on a daily basis with active duty Navy and Marines and you would be surprised how many Navy guys supported Kerry until I got done relating a few facts to them. They change their minds very quickly once they see the light of truth. Very Happy As for the Marines, I don't have to even bring it up. God Bless the Marine Corps! Very Happy I am retired Navy and mean no disrespect to any of the other services but I think the Marines are our last true military service we have. These guys still operate with true military bearing and yes, RHIP is alive and well in the Marine Corps.
Traildust
Big Kahuna
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
Not sure what you mean, BigKahuna.... all the polls I've seen lately show Kerry in damn near freefall among veterans and active duty. Question

Last numbers I saw 57 - 40/Bush

A couple nights ago, Special Report with Brit Hume reported that a month ago the majority of Vets were supporting Bush -- but that in the last few weeks that's slipped to a dead heat.
Top 10 Weasels.com is where Kerry is Weasel #1
Dwight Callaway
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vietnam Vets For Kerry run by John Hurley (supposedly) appears to be nothing but a shell organization. Google them and you get no site and only a few inconsequential hits. See the post about them on main board to hear Hurley's rap. It's called "CAMBODIA SWITCH". I think he's just a lawyer that Kerry hired to spin the media and voters - under a fake organization.

The pro-Kerry vets that I have heard on talk radio, tend to be really pathetic crybabies, VA queens who will vote for anybody who means more VA benefits for them. They are NOT voting on principles of honor. They are voting on motives of self gain. Those same motives are the reason that Kerry holds onto his loyal crewmembers, IMO.

Dwight
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traildust wrote:
RHIP is alive and well in the Marine Corps.
Traildust

Glad to hear that. It sure was alive when I was in the Navy. And I'd hate to tell you how many times I've used the phrase (and explained what it meant) to explain why I am obedient to my management and treat the VPs with a high degree of respect.

It was a way of life for us.
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theresa Alwood wrote:
GO BLUE!!!

Roger that!

I was back at the U of M for grad school in 69-71 and all the VVAW demonstrations on campus weren't pretty. Luckily I was in engineering school and most of my buddies were exmilitary. The VVAW crowd sure had the Detroit media wrapped around their finger.
Ordie_rat
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Support Big Blue? Reply with quote

Theresa Alwood wrote:
I AM!!! I AM!!! GO BLUE!!!

I would've supported Michigan except for two facts, I know who my parents are for the first fact. And for the second fact, that Big Blue is deep in the heart of Yankeeland! Go Buffs!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wink

As for vets who support Kerry, I know of one at my place of employment. He's a Vietnam Vet who let his brain fall to his ass I think. He told me he doesn't vote anyway (Praise God) and he's supporting Hanoi John.

I believe that some vets have let themselves be duped into believing that Kerry is pro-military. Look at his voting record, it is in keeping with the back-stabbing he did to brother vets when he got back from his "political appearance" in Vietnam. You know what a political appearance is don't you? That is where you show your face at a function for about 20 minutes, then leave. I figure Kerry's 4 month tour was equal to "showing up for 20 minutes then leaving" , hence it was a political appearance.

John Kerry, the biggest natural disaster for freedom.

By the way, any fellow gun owners out there better be talking to their gun owning buddies and telling them that John kerry is Anti-gun. He's always hanging out with the usual suspects - Kennedy, Fienswine, Boxer, Schumer, Lautenberg. The usual anti-gun zealots.

"The mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately, by the grace of God." - Thomas Jefferson
Paul
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Marines and The new politically-correct Armed Forces Reply with quote

"I am retired Navy and mean no disrespect to any of the other services but I think the Marines are our last true military service we have. These guys still operate with true military bearing and yes, RHIP is alive and well in the Marine Corps. "

I realize that this is an aside issue in this string, but I have to agree with you in this. The Marine Corps continues to maintain the standard that Every Marine is a rifleman first and any other specialty second. It's been alone in resisting the worst of the post-93 social engineering focus of our armed forces both within the naval service in the Department of the Navy that it's part of, and the Departments of the AF and Army. It's the only branch that doesn't operate a co-ed boot camp with lowered standards.

The Army makes up for it with the combat brigades which are all-volunteer and where the previous training standards are maintained for those who volunteer to serve in them. After that, the Special Forces in the respective branches do the same.

All of the branches have been under pressure and effected in one way or another, including portions of the Marine Corps as well. And look at the state of our service academies with their new politically-correct focus. Given that the Naval Academy has traditionally provided so many Marine Corps officers, then it's only a matter of time if things remain as they are before the Marines are impacted even further.

Anyway, all these new "claw" and "tail" and different sets of training standards and emphasis, is one reason that I say that we now effectively have an Armed Forces that since 1993 has been "re-engineered" into being an Armed Forces with a smaller army inside an otherwise large job corps.

"I'm a soldier too" Jessica Lynch is an example of the bad consequences.

You're observing the "she's a sailor too" variety of bad consequences of the navy. It’s true throughout our social-engineering first and National Defense second focused armed forces. . .

Don't even get me started on the already too big and growing but post-93 explosion in size and influence of the civilian Dept of the Secretary of Defense at the Pentagon.

For what it's worth, I’m not surprised at what you describe. I didn't make it a career, but I was a squid too. And now I"m complimenting the Jarheads! But, hey, credit where credit is due.
Paul
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Vets. . . Reply with quote

I run into veterans who support Kerry for President, including some Vietnam vets. But I live in a traditionally heavy democratic area. Obviously, being Texas, there's a lot of strong Bush supporters here also and plenty of Veterans, including Vietnam vets who support President Bush.

Given my views of John Kerry's miserable actions and sorry history, and my criticisms of the neo-cons, the handling of the so-called GWAT, the President's and Republican Leadership's actions and inactions on economic, immigration and some other issues, and what I believe their bad consequences are, then it probably won't come as a surprise that I find myself going through discussions with friends and acquaintenances pretty regularly these days. . .

Oh well, just call me a fringe fanatic or something Smile My friends don't but others might. The only reason that they probably don't is that I've already pointed out to them that it's not me that's changed on much of this! If I'm a fringe fanatic then so were even some of their own late parents not more then ten to twenty years ago. It's our culture that's made the shift and now calls what was once "radical" "moderate", not me. That or maybe their only holding back because we're friends . . . Smile

I don't know what the national standing is at the moment. James Webb did an editorial on precisely the issue of Veterans and Kerry and Veterans and Bush back in February that I thought included some good thoughts:

http://www.jameswebb.com/articles/variouspubs/usatoday.htm

After the last four decades or so, and with most of the members of the generations of pre-Boomer generations now gone, and in an election that I don't see as much of a choice on many important issues, and with all of the polemic flying, then I'm not surprised there may be blocks of veterans who support John Kerry.

At the same time, I've pointed out to friends who are vets and union members, that I don't see a concrete action from Kerry's record from either perspective they can use to argue for him. But for my Bush backing conservative pals of various kinds there's the frustration that the President hasn't given much by way of concrete actions for conservatives to cite to support him with either. What an election. . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: