SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tricked into Joining a UNION to get Health Insurance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Tricked into Joining a UNION to get Health Insurance Reply with quote

Here is what happened.

Last MONTH, I received a phone call from a Health Insurance Broker who had previously scoffed at me when I tried to switch insurance following my diagnosis of kidney cancer. At the time, he said a policy would cost me close to $3,000 per month if he could even find one. Well, this time, he claimed that Kaiser had a new plan that was guarantee issue no matter what my health condition or preexisting conditions were. He said the cost would be $438.00 per month and I was guaranteed health insurance. Needless to say I was skeptical.

When he showed up, I listened to his pitch and decided I had nothing to lose at this point. He wouldn't let go of the docs until after they were all filled out, so he filled them all out and purt an x where he wanted me to sign. I told him that I will need a copy of everything he expects me to sign. I then signed them and made copies of all of them. The plan was a Group plan through some organization and supposedly those self employed working over 30 hours a week. In reality, I had to join a Union and part of the monthly $438.00 per month was my Union dues to the IUIIW or INTERNATIONAL UNION OF INDUSTRIAL AND INDEPENDENT WORKERS.

It appears to me that the Unions are preying on the sick and uninsured to line their pockets with more Union dues. I found a similar situation involving the Texas Dept of Insurance:

"Last March, Texas Insurance Commissioner Jose Montemayor signed an order barring the IUPIW and the Manufacturing and Industrial Workers Union (MIWU) from selling plans in his state. The plans allegedly were falsely marketed as exempt from regulation. Both plans told enrollees, falsely, that they did not have to belong to a union in order to receive benefits. Many enrollees previously had been part of other union "plans" shut down by regulators. "It's bad enough that these operators are taking people's money in the form of premiums every month," Montemayor remarked at the time. "But the impact of the fraud is magnified by the fact that it's not until the victim is facing a health problem that they find they have no insurance." (Department of Labor, 12/13; Texas Department of Insurance, 3/4/05)."

I have been through enough problems with Health Insurance and do not want to add another potential problem to my current problems. In addition, I should not have to support a Union to get Health Insurance and am against Unions for that matter.

I have sent this to Roger Hedgecock who has not responded. I spoke to someone at Duncan Hunter's office who saw no problem with the practice. I sent it to the California Department of Insurance who is still trying to figure out if they should investigate or give it to the DMHC. I faxed it to the Dept of Labor who has not responded yet.

Anyone have any idea who might actually investigate this issue?

Thanks,

SBD
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My prayers are with you this morning SBD.

CWV
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe http://www.glennbeck.com/home/index.shtml

Amos.
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBD, I understand your feelings about unions, but if that is the only way you can get health insurance, then do it.

They're going to pay out a lot more for your care than your dues will cover.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBD,

I think that DL178 is on to something. I hate unions too, but you are caught in a dilemma that is not of your own doing. By signing up for the union, DL178 is right, you will suck more money out of the union than you are putting in. I don't see any other cost effective method available to you.
Go for it, then go to their meetings and make a nuissance of yourself by opposing every pet item on the agenda.

Jack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: