SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows Vista Alert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Windows Vista Alert Reply with quote

http://badvista.fsf.org/what-s-wrong-with-microsoft-windows-vista
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already run into this Vista problem.
My company designs and builds access control system (like they use at airports or on secure records systems). The heart of the system is a biometric verification system that uses fingerprints, iris or facial recognition interfaces. Vista doesn't like they way we intercept and verify data streams. Less like Microsoft's desires and more like the NSA's or FBI's rules. The RIAA and Hollywood should not override national security, ever.
We currently won't sell a Vista version of our systems because we can't trust Vista.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vista has a lot of problems that may send many people and companies into the Linux fold.
High price, complicated feature sets that most people won't ever figure out how to use, DRM controls, driver issues and hardware compatibility issues to name a few.
As a repair tech I have to learn the new system inside and out but I can already see that Microsoft may have shot themselves in the foot on this one.
For people who just want to do e-mail and browse the web, which is a large number of computer users today, Ubunto Linux or one of the other free Linux distributions is the clear alternative to Windows.
And for the rest, XP is not broken and works just fine by any stretch of the imagination.

Dusty
Harvuskong
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am grateful to see the poists about the Vista system.

I think that I and a lot of people will stay away from the Vista until the smoke and etc, clears and the final verdict is in.

So far, it does not sound very good at all.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digg links to a current Dell survey indicating Dell will probably be offering Linux as an alternative OS...

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Dell_what_sort_of_Linux_systems_would_you_like

Not being familiar with Linux, it's interesting to note that Dell is suggesting the following Linux distributions...

Quote:
6) Which Linux distribution should Dell prioritize on?
Commercial: Novell/SuSE Linux Desktop
Commercial: Red Hat Enterprise Desktop
Community Supported: Fedora
Community Supported: OpenSUSE
Community Supported: Ubuntu
Other:

I'm tempted to give Linux a try one of these days.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ubunto is a very nice O.S. Me #1. It comes with Firefox and Thunderbird mail already loaded, picks up any hardware you have automatically, comes with a good word processor and picture editor.
Does take some getting used to and has a learning curve as far as installing new programs, setting screen resolutions etc.
Comes with a ton of kewl screen savers.
I have had it running on one of my shop boxes for a long time. I like it.
However, that being said, there is some software that I use under Windows that is just not available for Linux. For that reason I keep my main work computer loaded with XP Pro.
Just for surfing the web, e-mail and word processing, Linux is great and very secure.

Dusty
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running Windows Vista and I love it. Leave it to me to be the lone exception. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: