SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fred Thompson 2008: A Matter of When -- Not If

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Fred Thompson 2008: A Matter of When -- Not If Reply with quote

I'M HOPING!!
Quote:
ABC News
Fred Thompson 2008: A Matter of When -- Not If
April 18, 2007

ABC News' Teddy Davis Reports: Fred Thompson's top cheerleader on Capitol Hill -- Rep. Zach Wamp, R-Tenn. -- said Wednesday that the former Republican senator's entrance into the 2008 presidential race is a matter of when -- not if.

Wamp offered his assessment that Thompson is going to jump into the presidential race after the Law & Order actor met at the Capitol Hill Club with 50 to 60 House Republicans.

Among the many questions that Thompson faced from the members of Congress he met with were ones about his divorce and his faith. Wamp told ABC News that Thompson said that he is in "excellent standing with everyone important in his life, including his first wife . . . and the man upstairs."

Multiple House Republicans who attended the hour-long Q&A session with Thompson gushed over him as someone who "checks all the boxes" in a way that the current crop of leading Republican contenders do not.

There were few specifics on the Iraq war, based on the accounts offered from members of Congress who attended the meeting. Thompson simply said, according to Wamp, that America faces a choice between a dangerous world and an even more dangerous world if it leaves Iraq.

Nevertheless, several House Republicans who attended today’s meeting seemed to think that he had the charisma, communication skills, and Reaganesque bearing to bring the country together and lead it in a time of war.

Thompson himself made brief comments outside of the Capitol Hill Club, saying simply that he wanted to see some of his old friends and to tell them what was on his mind. Thompson did not take questions from the press and quickly climbed into an awaiting GMC Envoy.

And, this from Cavuto, after his interview with Thompson, shows a man of no pretense. Very comfortable in his own skin:

Quote:
FOX NEWS
Fred Thompson, Man Alone
Friday , April 13, 2007

By Neil Cavuto

One final footnote on Fred Thompson. It's a little thing, but it struck me and my executive producer Gary Schreier as we greeted him this week: He came alone.

Alone — no handlers, no enablers, no key people, no any people.

Just Fred, by himself.

And Gary and I are thinking, hey this guy is tracking sometimes second in GOP polls for president.

For president! Of the United States!!

And we're looking for his entourage, his hangers-on, you know, the guy who holds his briefcase.

Another, his cell phone, still another his coat.

Someone who polices his words, advises him on statements to the press.

Nope. No briefcase guy. Or cell phone dude. No policy wonk or statement checker.

No people at all.

Get this: I had more people than he had people.

Which tells you something about Fred, I guess: The image things that seem to matter to others don't much matter to Fred.

Surely, I'm thinking to myself, this will all change if he runs for president. Even the loserest of candidates has loser lemmings. Lots of them!

But I wonder: Maybe Fred would be the guy who puts less stock in handlers and more in himself.

He'd be different, that's for sure. His people weren't saying that — Fred was. Before he shook my hand after our interview and walked out of this building... alone.

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of us here will be very happy if he runs. I personally feel Thompson is the only candidate who can beat Hillary. Anyone else on the Republican side runs and the conservative base will stay home and not vote.
greasepaint
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred gets my vote,
sixdogteam
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And mine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: