SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Troops are motivated

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Troops are motivated Reply with quote

On June 14th, 2007 Visitor says:
Motivated...
"I recently attended a showing of "Superman 3" here at LSA Anaconda. We have a large auditorioum we use for movies as well as memorial services and other large gatherings. As is the custom back in the States, we stood and snapped to attention when the National Anthem began before the main feature. All was going as planned until about three-quarters of the way through the National Anthem the music stopped.
Now, what would happen if this occurred with 1,000 18-22 year-olds back in the States? I imagine there would be hoots, catcalls, laughter, a few rude comments, and everyone would sit down and call for a movie. Of course, that is, if they had stood for the National Anthem in the first place.
Here, the 1,000 Soldiers continued to stand at attention, eyes fixed forward. The music started again. The Soldiers continued to quietly stand at attention. And again, at the same point, the music stopped. What would you expect to happen? Even here I would imagine laughter as everyone sat down and expected the movie to start.
Here, you could have heard a pin drop. Every Soldier stood at attention. Suddenly there was a lone voice, then a dozen, and quickly the room was filled with the voices of a thousand Soldiers
'...and the rockets red glare,
bombs bursting in air,
gave proof through the night
that our flag was still there.
O say does that star-spangled
banner yet wave,
o'er the land of the free
and the home of the brave?'
It was the most inspiring moment I have had here in Iraq. I wanted you to know what kind of Soldiers are serving you here.
Chaplain Jim Higgins .
LSA Anaconda is at the Balad Airport in Iraq, north of Baghdad"
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just see and feel that can't you. My respect for our military people knows no bounds.
Several senators should take notes.

Dusty
Harvuskong
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very good post indeed.

But what is the source of the post??

There are two or three Ag related discussion groups that I would like to post it..
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty said it all "You can just see and feel that"

Harvuskong,
I found Chaplain Jim Higgins' blog
http://letters-from-the-desert.blogspot.com/

The quoted story is from his May 14, 2007 blogpost "Soldiers"
try this - a direct link to that post
http://letters-from-the-desert.blogspot.com/2007/05/soldiers.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: