SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Be Not Afraid"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: "Be Not Afraid" Reply with quote

From Michael Yon...Baquba...a must read...

Quote:
These words flow on the eve of a great battle, but are on hold until the attack is well underway. Nothing is certain. I am here and have been all year. We are in trouble, but we have a great General. The only one, I have long believed, who can lead the way out of this morass. Iraq is not hopeless. Iraq can stand again but first it must cast off these demons. And some of the demons must be killed.
    Be Not Afraid

You shall cross the barren desert, but you shall not die of thirst. You shall wander far in safety though you do not know the way. You shall speak your words in foreign lands and all will understand. You shall see the face of God and live.

Be not afraid.
    I go before you always;
    Come follow me, and I will give you rest.
Michael Yon

Godspeed to Michael and our troops in this undertaking.

HT: Powerline
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God bless Michael Yon and our valiant troops. Keep them safe and give them victory.

From Michael today:
Operation Arrowhead Ripper: Day One
Quote:
Operation Arrowhead Ripper: Day One
~snip~
The heat is intense for the enemy and for us. Soldiers, during any chance, would lay-down during the heat of day, and in complete body armor and helmets, fall asleep in the dirt. I took photos of course. Our guys are tough. The enemy in Baqubah is as good as any in Iraq, and better than most. That’s saying a lot. But our guys have been systematically trapping them, and have foiled some big traps set for our guys. I don’t want to say much more about that, but our guys are seriously outsmarting them. Big fights are ahead and we will take serious losses probably, but al Qaeda, unless they find a way to escape, are about to be slaughtered. Nobody is dropping leaflets asking them to surrender. Our guys want to kill them, and that’s the plan.

A positive indicator on the 19th and the 20th is that most local people apparently are happy that al Qaeda is being trapped and killed. Civilians are pointing out IEDs and enemy fighters, so that’s not working so well for al Qaeda. Clearly, I cannot do a census, but that says something about the locals.

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the NY Times recount containing Gordon's reportage complete with the mandatory "bad news" lede. As Gordon is the only other reporter embedded, read it as a supplement to Yon.

Quote:
At Least 12 U.S. Troops Killed in Iraq in 2 Days
By ALISSA J. RUBIN and GRAHAM BOWLEY
Published: June 21, 2007

Today, five soldiers, three Iraqi civilians, and an Iraqi interpreter were killed by a roadside bomb in a northeast neighborhood of Baghdad.

<snip>

In Baquba, north of Baghdad, where American troops continued an intense push against suspected insurgents, shortages of food and water were causing growing unrest among Iraqis caught in the fighting, witnesses said.

Notably only one soldier death has been reported since the operation began, and it occurred earlier in the week. The operations focus on Baquba and elsewhere in Diyala province, where 300 to 500 fighters belonging to Al Qaeda in Mesopotamia are believed to be hiding.

NY Times-cont'd
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Yon's reports are well worth the read as is Bill Roggio from the Fourth Rail http://billroggio.com. They say something BIG is coming down, and the MSN, including Fox News, is not reporting it. Just more of the same-o, same-o- upteen people killed and upteen soldiers injured. I believe Roggio and Yon if they describe this as something big and the biggest operation since the war began. Thank God for those guys.

"June 20, 2007

The Battle of Iraq – 2007

By Bill Roggio and DJ Elliott

A look at the largest offensive operation in Iraq since 2003

Four days after the announcement of major offensive combat operations against al Qaeda in Iraq and its allies, the picture becomes clearer on the size and scope of the operation. In today's press briefing, Rear Admiral Mark noted that the ongoing operation is a corps directed and coordinated offensive operation. This is the largest offensive operation since the first phase of Operation Iraqi Freedom ended in the spring of 2003."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: