SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Man of Honor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Man of Honor Reply with quote

A blogger recently visited the Wall in D.C. and came away with a short story and photos showing what Men of Honor do.

I haven't received his permission to repost his photos or story yet, but this is too good not to share immediately.

Visit his blog and see what a Man of Honor does upon retirement.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing! The humility of a great man.
Thanks for sharing this, Lew. I will pass it on.
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lew...that is one extremely moving anecdote...and photographs to back it up. Thanks for sharing it.

My admiration and respect for General Pace has grown exponentially.

I hope to see this linked on every major blog on the internet and intend to spread the word.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following up, a commenter at Old Sarge's Blog notes this video from CNN which, quite remarkably, aired on Oct 13 predating "Old Sarge's" post today.

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honor is a rare commodity that is only recognized by other men of honor.
Enough said, if you have honor you understand instantly what this means.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We really need a "man of honor" in the Senate.
Draft General Pace
National Review
Quote:
~snip~
In the 2008 elections, career politicians could face real competition from attractive outsiders. General Pace would be just such a candidate. Last year, Virginia sent Jim Webb, a fellow former Marine and Naval Academy graduate to the Senate.

The articulate and personable four-star would be a novice politician wise in the ways of Washington. As a veteran of the Pentagon’s senior ranks, he would have a commanding advantage over all other candidates on national-security issues. Unlike other senior military leaders, the Catholic General Pace has been outspoken about his conservative beliefs on social issues. In defending the military’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy, he has forthrightly explained that he believes homosexual conduct to be “immoral” behavior that the military shouldn’t condone. Adultery, too, should not be tolerated in the military’s ranks, he has said.

When General Pace was informed that he wouldn’t be re-nominated to another term as chairman of the Joint Chiefs, he refused to retire voluntarily. Why? A soldier in Baghdad “should not think ever that his chairman, whoever that person is, could have stayed in the battle and voluntarily walked off the battlefield,” Pace explained. Only when it became public knowledge that he had been denied another term did he submit his retirement papers.

Pace has also explained that his experiences in Vietnam guided his decision about whether to retire voluntarily. Recalling the Marines who followed him onto the battlefield and lost their lives, he said, “I promised myself then that I will serve this country until I was no longer needed. I need to be told that I’m done. I’ve been told that I’m done.”

Virginia Republicans should tell this devoted patriot that he is not done, and encourage him to take on another mission.

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
rbshirley
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Lance Corporal Guido Farinaro: Chaminade High School Reply with quote

With the news of General Peter Pace's touching tribute to the men lost from his platoon
so many years ago, Swift Officer-in-Charge and retired US Navy Commander Bob Bolger
was moved to share the following with his Swiftmates:

On 14 May 1967 (13 May in California), our crew on PCF 99 engaged in a series of gun
fights at the Co Lay Corral during PSYOPS just south of the Tactical Heart of Darkness
at Cape Batangaan. This was not our frst engagement at the Corral; nor would it be our
last
But it was our defining moment.

.............. Cape Batangan (aka Tactical Heart of Darkness) note the villages
.......... Many a heart was broken at My Lai, VNN CosGrp 16 & the Sa Ky River
Shipmates Doug Daves and Mike Malacky were seriously wounded at the start of our
second gun fight of the day. Doug and Mike were saved by the extraordinary emergency
first aid skills of his Swift Boat shipmates (treatment rendered in part under heavy fire)
and the crazy driving of an army warrant officer pilot on Dust Off 26.

Signal flags raised on special occasions at the Bolger's Casa Bonita in Chula Vista Calif.

Delta Delta (Doug Davies) Bravo Zulu (Signal of Respect) Mike Mike (Mike Malacky)

A number of internet blogs have noted the honor and humility of General Peter Pace in leaving
very moving notes (with four stars) at the Vietnam Memorial Wall to USMC Lance Corporal Guido
Farino
and two other marines KIA in I Corps Viet Nam. The notes were signed as "Your Platoon
Leader with love and respect. These are yours, not mine."
General Pace left these notes at the wall on the day he retired as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs
of Staff on 1 October 2007.
Two weeks earlier, on 17 September 2007, he visited Guido's High School Alma Mater,
Chaminade High School
, Mineola, Long Island, New York, to talk to the men at this all male
Catholic school about the first shipmate he, then Lieutenant Pace, lost in combat. General Pace
said he kept a picture of Guido (Chaminade '67) with him throughout his military career.
Young Lieutenants don't deal well with such events. Generals have a lifetime of experience
serving their country with pride by remembering the the sacrifices of so many of the Guidos
they have had the honor of leading throughout the years.
Bob Bolger

St Boniface Elementary '56
Chaminade '60
USNA '64

It should be obvious that General Pace's extraordinary tribute had a special meaning for Bob

dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this Lew.
And thanks to Gen. Pace for his attention to honor and duty and his service to this nation.
If only we had more like him in congress America would surely be a better place.

Dusty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: