SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

G.I. Joe was just a toy, wasn't he?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: G.I. Joe was just a toy, wasn't he? Reply with quote

Hollywood now proposes that in a new live-action movie based on the G.I. Joe toy line, Joe's -- well, "G.I." -- identity needs to be replaced by membership in an "international force based in Brussels." The IGN Entertainment news site reports Paramount is considering replacing our "real American hero" with "Action Man," member of an "international operations team."

Paramount will simply turn Joe's name into an acronym.

The show biz newspaper Variety reports: "G.I. Joe is now a Brussels-based outfit that stands for Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity, an international co-ed force of operatives who use hi-tech equipment to battle Cobra, an evil organization headed by a double-crossing Scottish arms dealer."

(snip)

On Nov. 15, 2003, an 85-year-old retired Marine Corps colonel died of congestive heart failure at his home in La Quinta, Calif., southeast of Palm Springs. He was a combat veteran of World War II. His name was Mitchell Paige.

It's hard today to envision -- or, for the dwindling few, to remember -- what the world looked like on Oct. 25, 1942 -- 65 years ago.

(snip)

The citation for Paige's Medal of Honor picks up the tale: "When the enemy broke through the line directly in front of his position, P/Sgt. Paige, commanding a machine gun section with fearless determination, continued to direct the fire of his gunners until all his men were either killed or wounded. Alone, against the deadly hail of Japanese shells, he fought with his gun and when it was destroyed, took over another, moving from gun to gun, never ceasing his withering fire."

In the end, Sgt. Paige picked up the last of the 40-pound, belt-fed Brownings and did something for which the weapon was never designed. Sgt. Paige walked down the hill toward the place where he could hear the last Japanese survivors rallying to move around his flank, the belt-fed gun cradled under his arm, firing as he went.

You can read the whole story here;
http://www.lvrj.com/opinion/10849526.html
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that was well worth reading "the rest of the story."

I think it's the first time I've read anything in the LVRJ that didn't require doubling up on my blood pressure meds.

The comments are too many to read, but some of them are very astute.

It's sad enough that GI Joe is going to lose his American soldier identity - the American soldier has been a bringer of freedom, peace, sustenance and comfort for almost two hundred years.

But, why in the world is an American picture company even THINKING of making a true American hero into some kind of UN weenie?

Disgusting. Confused
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite sporting goods store chains here in ultra-liberal Oregon was G.I. Joe's. This year, they changed it to just Joe's to keep up with the times. I have not been in one since and will never go in one again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: