SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Iran 1 - USA 0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
four-niner delta
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad It was this kind of indecision that brought about the Cole bombing. These officers should fit right in with the "new" Madam Clintion Administration! The Iranians are LTAO. Pathetic.
Mobile Riverine Force
A Co. 3/60 9th INF DIV
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't ya just love rear area or monday morning quarterbacking?

This author probably has no clue as to what ROE the ships were operating under or what the security zone distances were. Couple that with a blind eye to other spoutings Iran has made in the past and his ignorance is rather blatant.

Bush said it in the most forward diplomatic way possible - a provocative act. Taken alone it sets the stage for an ROE change and the probable obliteration of any boats approaching in a similar manner. The first time out of the gate it would have been our fault for being the aggressor, now we are firmly the innocent party, simply protecting ourselves.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been playing these games with Iran for 20 years. Why it's news now is likely as Goophy says to justify the next encounter. Obliterating these buggers isn't as easy as it sounds. They're low so targeting radars lose them in the chop. They're too fast for the 5". 50 cals can't be counted on to stop them. We toyed with quad M60 mounts but the Navy decided to issue Stingers to combat them. Sounded okay but what does that heat seeker seek on an outboard motor?

-Wlm Shakespeare
four-niner delta
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO these officers SHOULD be second-guessed AND monday-morning quarterbacked. This is a new time. These guys were terrorists and Iran is a known terrorist state. How much closer were they supposed ro get before we blow them out of the water. If I'm not mistaken, we were in international waters AND they threatened to blow-up our ships in two minutes. That is on the video and audio of the incident. The hell with worrying about starting an international incident or pissing off Iran. Shoot first and ask questions later. This sounds more like the British navy than the most powerful Navy in the world. I agree with Peters 100%. Like Glenn Beck says "Call me crazy, but....". Mad
Mobile Riverine Force
A Co. 3/60 9th INF DIV
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

When the lefties started screaming about the officer firing a gun near an insurgent in order to prompt him to talk, reasonable people reasonably agreed that there was more to the situation than what we knew.

We agreed that officer had the immediate intel and did what he did to save lives. We agreed that we didn't have any business second-guessing his actions because we weren't there and we didn't have the whole story.

So, why don't the skippers on these warships get the same benefit of the doubt?

My son is below the waterline. I admit that I have an intensely personal interest in how these little dances are handled.
four-niner delta
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son served in Iraq for 15 months in 2004-5 as a Combat medic and a commander whether on a ship or on the ground as a squad leader needs to make snap decisions to protect his men foremost. With the liberal news media and our "old pal" John Murtha squawking constantly, our military has become gun-shy. Rolling Eyes
Mobile Riverine Force
A Co. 3/60 9th INF DIV
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: