SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lockheed-Martin retires one in style

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Lockheed-Martin retires one in style Reply with quote

I bet this ride brought back a lot of memories for these guys and their families.
The film clip is 22 megs. in size.

http://www.c141heaven.us/movies/C141retire.wmv

Dusty
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a terrific tribute to a workhorse of the Air Force. It won't be the same Air Force that my generation will always recall without it.

Well done to Lockheed and to all who participated in it's concept, development, production and, most of all, it's utilization.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want some heartbreak satellite Google Davis Monthan se of Tucson. You'll see the rest of the Starlifters in pieces along side acres of B52s and Phantoms. The Ghost Fleet can be depressing as well.

-Wlm Shakespeare
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:
If you want some heartbreak satellite Google Davis Monthan se of Tucson. You'll see the rest of the Starlifters in pieces along side acres of B52s and Phantoms. The Ghost Fleet can be depressing as well.

When I had some trucks leased to C&H Transportation way back in the '70s we used to go down there and load Jet fighters on stretch trailers and haul them all over the country. They were training planes. They would take the wings off and crate them alonside the body of the plane. We would have to stretch the trailers out to 60' to haul em.
Then when we got em where they were going they'd put the wings back on em and train pilots in them.
I never could figure out why they just didn't fly them where they were needed instead of paying freight to get em where they were going.
But driving around in that airplane graveyard is an awesome experience. Row after row of all kinds of planes. Thousands of em.

Dusty
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was stationed at NAF Litchfield Park, back in '57. It's now a civilian field, but the old buildings are still there. The base was in Avondale, Arizona, a few miles out of Phoenix. Anyway, being a maintenance and preservation facility, there were a few thousand planes stored there. When the base was shut down, the remaining planes were transferred to DM in Tuscon.

The place was pretty spooky at night because wetbacks would sometimes sleep in the old planes. We had two sentries doing a barrier patrol on foot. they would walk in opposite directions from the main gate, and meet again about half way around the fence line. There was a lot of old WWll aircraft there, even PBY's.

Next door to the base was the Goodyear plant, and they had a B-29. Our runway extended into the Goodyear property, and they use their section for their own aircraft, except for the B-29. For that they used our runway because their section of it was too short.

Litchfield was also a stop for blimps moving from one coast to the other, back then. Wow, that was over 50 years ago! LOL
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zinfella,

Goodyear is named for the tire company. Litchfield was their CEO. They came to Phoenix to grow long grain Egyptian cotton for tire tread. Arizona at one time reached #3 in US cotton production (3 crops a year). Currently the Avondale field is refurbishing DC10s and training pilots for Lufthansa.

Phoenix Sky Harbor was so named to service airships as they were called in the '20s. In the 2nd war the valley had a dozen training fields enjoying the 360 days a year of good weather. Falcon. Avondale, Scottsdale, Glendale, Deer Valley etc continue in aviation. Thunderbird, where they filmed Spencer Tracy's "Forty Seconds Over Tokyo" was filmed is now a school.

Nothing rusts in Arizona if you're looking for old car parts or wanting to park a plane. North of Tucson at Marana commercial aircraft out of service are parked awaiting a new lease, service and paint.

-Wlm Shakespeare
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: