SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fred Quitting?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Fred Quitting? Reply with quote

From Jim Geraghty at NRO:

Fred Out of Thursday's Debate; Doesn't Plan on Endorsing
The Campaign Spot

Sad, if true.

note: Hyperlink to specific post added/me#1
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez...waiting for this next shoe to drop is depressing...if it's true, I wish Fred would end the suspense sooner rather than later Crying or Very sad
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romney it is.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup...I guess it's official...and that leaves only ONE with credentials enough for me...

ROMNEY '08
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how we are now turning to Romney....there is just no way I could support John McCain....so I hope Mitt gets the nomination. Maybe we could have a Romney/Thompson ticket.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Moran at Right Wing Nuthouse echoing my feeling on how good Federalist Fred could have been for our country.
Quote:
~snip~
I am amused by the laughter on the left over “Grandpa Fred” and his laid back demeanor. Perhaps if they examined their own fascination with the celebrity candidates on the Democratic side – an empty suit of a man running a campaign of cotton candy platitudes and half thought out policies along with a ruthless shrew whose grasp for power and influence is only slightly less nauseating than that of her philandering husband -they wouldn’t be quite so dismissive. Given that their likely candidate has a personality that makes Leona Helmsley look like a civic saint, one would think a little less gloating on their part might be in order.

After all, Fred thought about government and the relationship with the governed more than 10 Obama’s and 5 Hillary’s put together. Next to Fred, the Democratic party candidates come off like game show hosts. Democrat Bill Bradley comes to mind when looking for candidates who had given what to do after being elected so much thought. But Bradley too, was forced to run against a game show host in Al Gore and lost in the 2000 primaries. This current crop of small minded sophists on the Democratic side remind me of auctioneers bidding for votes among a grasping electorate who refuse to pay for government programs they already benefit from while begging for more.

Could Thompson have changed this dynamic? It’s an interesting thought experiment in that many conservatives in the think tanks believe that enacting federalism would impose a certain kind of civic discipline on Americans that would make most of us stop and think about whether a program or a benefit is really worth having. That’s because once responsibilities like that are returned to the state and local government, there is little doubt that people would be forced to pay for the benefits they desire. It would make both government and the citizens responsible adults when it comes to government spending at all levels.

No Democrat would ever contemplate such a radical shift and a Democrat controlled Congress would very likely not given Fred much of what he wanted if he had been elected. But even the Democrats can’t avoid the issue much longer. Fred literally wrote the book on the near future catastrophe at hand unless reforms in entitlement spending are initiated. In Government on the Brink (Volume II here) Thompson shows with a clarity lacking in so many of the superficial debates over “government spending” that there will shortly come a time when servicing the debt and paying for entitlements will eat up so much of the budget that it will not be possible to adequately defend ourselves or fund other, much needed domestic programs.

At any rate, this is what excited conservatives about Thompson in the first place and why I mourn the end of his campaign today. Fred Thompson talked about these and other issues that no other candidate would dare address. He didn’t speak in apocalyptic terms but rather explained his concerns in a straightforward, no nonsense, “Look people, this is the way it is and the way it’s gonna be” kind of way......

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, it appears we go to the polls, hold our noses and vote for the lesser of two evils. Sad
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Once again, it appears we go to the polls, hold our noses and vote for the lesser of two evils. Sad

Well said, my good friend.
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
Yup...I guess it's official...and that leaves only ONE with credentials enough for me...

ROMNEY '08

Yep......gonna do the quadrennial hold the nose and pull the lever....your way!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: