SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Conservatives Can Manage McCain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: How Conservatives Can Manage McCain Reply with quote

I agree with Tom Delay--make McCain woo US, and I mean rock hard promises not pander. He spent years wooing the libs and independents, so now woo US, John, especially your global warming (McCain-Lieberman Bill) and signing on to the ICC!!

How Conservatives Can Manage McCain
Quote:
Last night, Tom DeLay was on Hardball. While he admitted John McCain's speech at CPAC was a good one, he also warned that he would need to see a lot more evidence of McCain's transformance into a conservative, before he would be "sold" on the man.

In my estimation, this is both smart -- and good for the movement.

If the goal of conservatives is to move McCain to the Right, then it is wise for conservatives to sort of pay a game of, "good cop, bad cop."

We do need good cops; If every conservative gave McCain the cold shoulder, he would have no incentive to come over to our side. It is very good for us, indeed, that McCain has advisors like Kemp, Gramm, Coburn, and Brownback, to listen to. We would be much worse off if all these leaders had washed their hands of him, and cast him off as a liberal.

On the other hand, we need "bad cops," too. It's wise for some conservatives to play a little "hard-to-get." McCain must know that his conservative support is, in fact, conditional. This does not mean we should say that Hillary is better. But it does mean that we should continue to make him do a little wooing.

Even if he becomes president, conservatives must be prepared to support McCain when he is right -- and speak out against him when he is wrong. Frankly, this is something more of us should have been doing, anyway, for President Bush.

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All in my precinct caucus today agreed with me, McCain will need to "EARN"our votes.

Sadly, the rest of the state doesn't seem to feel that way today.

From the Washington State Caucus (Republicans still have the primary's ahead of us)

Initial Results from the 2008 Precinct Caucuses:

Precincts Reporting 78.3 %

Candidates Percentage

McCain 25.4 %

Huckabee 23.8 %

Paul 21.1 %

Romney 16 %

Other 1.1 %

Uncommitted 12.5 %

With the Primary still ahead, perhaps we will be able to hold his feet to the fire. Those uncommitted numbers could swing him out of the lead quickly.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPAC 2008 Straw Poll
Quote:
WASHINGTON (CNN) – Former Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney narrowly beat John McCain, 35 to 34 percent, in a straw poll of conservative political activists gathered Saturday in Washington — a vote that is viewed as a barometer of support from that major GOP voting bloc.

The announcement of Romney’s win was greeted by cheers from the crowd at the Conservative Political Action Conference. McCain is the frontrunner for the Republican nomination.

Roughly one-quarter of the votes in the three-day CPAC 2008 straw poll were cast before Mitt Romney dropped out of the presidential race, and three-quarters after his withdrawal.

In votes cast before Romney left the race, he beat McCain 44 to 27 percent. Among votes gathered after Romney’s withdrawal, McCain led Romney 37 to 32 percent.

Mike Huckabee received 12 percent of the vote in the straw poll overall, and Ron Paul received 10 percent. Those results were virtually unchanged among just those votes taken after Romney's withdrawal.

Thirty-one percent said that if John McCain were the GOP presidential nominee, they would either vote for someone else, or not vote at all.

Huckabee fared even worse in the survey – 36 percent said they would not support him, or would back someone else, if he were the Republican nominee.

A candidate’s chances of winning were the deciding factor for just 4 percent of straw poll voters.

Last year, Romney won the contest after an unprecedented campaign by his team. He ended his White House run at CPAC this Thursday.

In 2006, the winner was then-Virginia Sen. George Allen, who lost his Senate re-election fight later that year.

The primary season is nearly over for the Republican field, and McCain appears the party’s likely presidential nominee. But Saturday’s results highlight the difficulty that the Arizona senator faces in consolidating conservative support.

His appearance at the conference – and even the mention of his name – drew boos from many in attendance throughout the weekend.

Anti-immigration activists alarmed by Romney’s withdrawal from the race at CPAC Thursday organized that night to launch a group dedicated to preventing McCain from winning in the fall, and were actively recruiting at the conference on Saturday.

One of the organizers, Bob Shoemaker, told CNN he considered McCain a “despicable human being” who “deserved to be in jail” for his actions on immigration policy.

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawa wrote:
CPAC 2008 Straw Poll
Quote:

One of the organizers, Bob Shoemaker, told CNN he considered McCain a “despicable human being” who “deserved to be in jail” for his actions on immigration policy.

Immigration says nothing of the fact that McCain and Kerry colluded to destroy POW/MIA records in the early 90s.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the fact that McCain and Kerry colluded to destroy POW/MIA records in the early 90s.

That fact alone does it for me. If it's McCain vs. Obama, I'll be staying home. I like McCain slightly more than Kerry. Slightly.
greasepaint
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCain is all we have.

Conservatives should demand a good VP.
Harvuskong
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:

Immigration says nothing of the fact that McCain and Kerry colluded to destroy POW/MIA records in the early 90s.

I am aware that those two were in cahoots on this issue.

Does anyone have any links handy to sources and etc on this item.

I am sure that you all will plenty good links and etc on the subject.
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
All in my precinct caucus today agreed with me, McCain will need to "EARN"our votes.

The original positions politicians make further away from a campaign are a better gauge of where their true beliefs lie. Not the reconstituted versions created by other influences for political expediency.

McCain is so used to going right to left, I do not know if his eyes can move left to right in order to read Greenspan's book he purchased, so he could learn more about the economy.
Laughing Laughing

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
streetsweeper95B
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding my one cents worth.....I respect McCain's service. Links are provided "broken".

http: //www.discoverthenetworks.org/moonbatcentral/2005/03/john-mccain-gets-soros-cash.html

http: //www.discoverthenetworks.org/Articles/McCain%20and%20Hillary%20Rally%20Illegals.html

Additionally, he has a Juan Hernandez working for him on his campaign that has dual citizenship Mexico/America that came from El Presidente Vincent Fox's Administration & is running around the country pushing the open borders plan, talking about wanting/needing every illegal alien being granted amnesty, justifing ID Theft by illegals saying it really isn't stealing from anyone yada yada yada.

Think Teddy Roosevelt once said: A man thats claims to being something other than American, can't be American.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: