SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Haditha film coming to Frontline on PBS"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: "Haditha film coming to Frontline on PBS" Reply with quote

Via Denis Keohane at "Obiter Dictum", a timely alert for an upcoming "Frontline" exposé on "Haditha". As you will read, "Defend Our Marines", perhaps surprisingly given it's source, is optimistic that this PBS report is going to turn some heads and change some perspectives both on the facts and on the level of demagoguery that has been leveled at these Marines and our military by the cabal of Iraq war defeatists.

Spread the word...

Quote:
Haditha film coming to Frontline on PBS

The upcoming Frontline broadcast of “Rules of Engagement: What Really Happened in Haditha” is a major event. A co-production with Yellow River Productions, it will air February 19th at 9 p.m. ET on PBS. For the first time, television viewers will hear the facts about the incident in Haditha.

<snip>

I have not seen the film, but am heartened that Rath, a public broadcasting veteran of nearly fifteen years, is striving for a fair presentation of the facts. That is all any of us in the extended Defend Our Marines community have ever asked for—and have never gotten from the mainstream media.

I asked Rath what he hoped audiences would take away from his film.

“At the most basic level,” he responded. “I hope they'll come away with a better understanding of what happened in Haditha that day. More importantly, I'm hoping that people will come away with a deeper appreciation of the extraordinarily difficult job our Marines and soldiers are undertaking in Iraq, in terms of trying to follow the Rules of Engagement in a situation where insurgents intentionally blend in with civilians.

“We end the film on the ground with Kilo company on their latest deployment, and these young men speak about the challenges they face with a thoughtfulness and eloquence that seems uncannily beyond their years (at least well beyond what I was capable of at that age). Perhaps if we can really instill in our audience a sense of what it's like to stand in those boots, there may be less of an inclination to rush to judgment the next time there are accusations of a 'massacre': maybe a crime was committed, maybe not, but that’s for the military justice system to decide.”

We’ll be watching.

David Allender
Defend Our Marines
February 11, 2008

Defend Our Marines - cont'd

HT: Denis Keohane at Obiter Dictum
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over on Freerepublic, mention was made of the original 'storyline' that kicked off their trip to Iraq in the first place...something like "The truth about civilian deaths in Iraq". So we know the original bias is there, and Frontline has a spotty history of the definition of 'balanced' reporting. So, like you, I'll be watching for sure, but I'll have the 'tinfoil hat' on the table next to me, just in case I need to filter the news outta PBS one more time.
Deuce
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denis Keohane also directs us to an extensive preview by Bruce Kesler at "Democracy Project" which I am about to digest...

Democracy Project
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: