SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Murtha’s GOP opponent tossed off ballot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Murtha’s GOP opponent tossed off ballot Reply with quote

Murtha must have been concerned;

Quote:
BY MIKE FAHER
The Tribune-Democrat

Republican William Russell knew that he faced an uphill battle when he decided to challenge longtime Democratic U.S. Rep. John Murtha.

Now, Russell’s battle may have ended before a single vote has been cast.

A Commonwealth Court judge on Tuesday ruled that Russell does not have enough valid petition signatures to appear on the April 22 primary ballot.

Russell, a veteran of both Iraq wars who quit his Army job and moved to Johnstown to run against Murtha, said he will not appeal.

“I don’t have the resources to fight a protracted court battle,” the former Washington, D.C., resident said.

<<snip>>

The challenge to Russell’s petitions came from two local Republicans and was backed by Murtha’s campaign.

SOURCE
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is disappointing and (unless I'm missing something here) doesn't reflect very well on his campaign management. It seems almost implausible that he would gather EXACTLY the 1,000 signatures required then fall short by 7 after a challenge to the petition signatories.

Something doesn't smell right...but perhaps he can make some lemonade from the lemons by campaigning vigorously as a write-in candidate. After all, it's only a primary and there are no other GOP candidates running. Or am I missing something else here as well?
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem fishy, #1.

The blog, Veterans for Bill Russell has more on it,

Murtha's Tentacles of Corruption run deep in PA-12
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a depressing read Lew...and it appears that PA12 might serve as the poster child for corrupted government and how it can create a constituency of slaves as opposed to free men and women...yet they've brought it upon themselves, knowingly and willingly, by returning this malevolent crud to Congress election after election after election.

I'm afraid the Stockholm Syndrome is in full flower in PA12 as well as the entire State of Massachusetts.
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:

I'm afraid the Stockholm Syndrome is in full flower in PA12 as well as the entire State of Massachusetts.

"There you go again."

Ronald Reagan to Me#1You#10
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1991932 wrote:

"There you go again."

Ronald Reagan to Me#1You#10

199, let me stipulate in perpetuity that there are ALWAYS exceptions that prove the rule Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: