SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Johnson: "A joyful noise in Minnesota"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Johnson: "A joyful noise in Minnesota" Reply with quote

From the Spineless American Educator department, Powerline's Scott Johnson makes note of the shameful capitulation of Minnesota's Forest Lake High School principal Steve Massey to a handful of unidentified leftist objections...

Quote:
A joyful noise in Minnesota

As John reports below and Ed Morrissey reports here, tonight's Vets for Freedom National Heroes Tour rally at Fort Snelling was special. (Check out Vets for Freedom here; support the tour here.) Have Americans who have already served and sacrificed ever had to rally support at home on behalf of their colleagues still in harm's way to let them win? Shouldn't those of us who benefit from their service be rallying to support their morale and their cause?

It was in any event both thrilling and humbling to be in the company of men whose courage and heroism have set such a high standard for their generation of young Americans and for those of us who can do little more than express our gratitude. Perhaps most striking was David Bellavia, who complained of feeling like a chicken McNugget, alluding to the size of the crowd and the heat generated in the room. He concluded his remarks with the aspiration that he make a joyful noise in memory of those who have given the last full measure and that their sacrifice not be rendered meaningless.

Let it be noted that among those in attendance tonight were Minnesota Vets for Freedom chapter head Michael Bauman, Minnesota Second District Rep. John Kline, Gold Star Mother Merilee Carlson (son Michael Carlson who lives on in his credo, was killed in Iraq in January 2005), Colonel Joe Repya (veteran of Vietnam and the two Iraq wars) and his wife Deb, and Sergeant David Thul of the Minnesota National Guard unit that served 16 months in Iraq.

The National Heroes Tour is led by home town hero Pete Hegseth, alumnus of Forest Lake High School and Princeton University. Not by design, the courage of Pete and company contrasted cruelly with the faint heart displayed today by Forest Lake High School principal Steve Massey. Massey quailed at the thought of a protest on school grounds. After reportedly receiving roughly two dozen phone calls and e-mails "from people opposed to the visit" (a bit vague, but good enough for the Star Tribune), Massey was inspired to cancel the tour's scheduled visit with the high school's social studies students. The photo above depicts the VFF National Heroes Tour crew with Minnesota Sixth District Rep. Michele Bachman at the hastily scheduled Forest Lake American Legion stop in lieu of the cancelled high school visit this morning.

Powerline

See also Mike Gallagher's interview with American Hero David Bellavia on the controversy.

I hope my small contribution helps fill their gas tank for the next leg of this journey.
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little banter I had with a local columnist

>>> "Stephen Jelinek" <sjelinek@comcast.net> 3/27/2008 10:24 AM >>>

(Sniped from Nick Coleman Column)

"I would like to tell you the Capitol of Minnesota came to a hushed halt to observe the anniversary of a misbegotten war that has cost far too many lives, but the country is not in the mood for special observances. Mar 20, 2008"

http://www.startribune.com/local/stpaul/16838806.html

You’re out of site out of mind attitude rings loud and clear through your written words. Your freedom to write is due to the collective sacrifice of all those who have proudly worn our Nations uniforms in defense of our constitution.

What is misbegotten about creating a beech head of freedom in the midst of the jihad terrorist movement? What is your solution to jihad? Call all our heroes home, allowing the jihadists to fill the vacuum. Then they will become embolden to create a beech head in Iraq, and with trillions of dollars of oil the jihad movement will be able to oppress freedom through out the globe. Including your freedom to write this column.

Was the Cold War also misbegotten? I served in the USAF Strategic Air Command 1975-1979. My guess is that you thought the Cold War Was not worth it either. Perhaps I will take the time to go back to the archives of your writing during this period. The better red then dead crowd of the 60's & 70's was wrong then, and they are still wrong today.

Steve Jelinek
Minnetonka, MN

P.S. I am sure this response will not find its way on to the pages of the Star & Tribune. That's why I canceled my subscription years ago. Little room for thought, that is in conflict with the Star & Tribune bigger picture agenda.

Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2008 10:32 AM
To: sjelinek@comcast.net
Subject: Re: Are you looking for some kind of apology, from our fallen hero's, for intruding on our state capital

you have trouble reading?
my point was: there should have been a respectful silence. There wasn't.

>>> "Stephen Jelinek" <sjelinek@comcast.net> 3/27/2008 10:44 AM >>>

Calling the fallen Hero's service misbegotten is hardly respectful.

There sacrifice was not so we could be silent, but so we could be free to pursue our collective happiness. Like your freedom to write this column.

Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2008 10:32 AM

Did I call their service misbegotten?
No. I did not.
The war, being based on lies and not being necessary, was misbegotten. Those who serve * and their sacrifices * are noble. I have said that since the start.

>>> "Stephen Jelinek" <sjelinek@comcast.net> 3/27/2008 8:03 PM >>>

Mission and service are one in the same. In the 70's when the media was tearing down our mission in the Cold War it contributed to the demoralization of our service. It took me nearly twenty years to recognize the value of my service, and claim pride for the contribution I made. All Americans can continue to freely write speak and share their opinions. Freedom is not cheep, but worth every drop of blood that has been spilt for it. When was the last time you thanked a veteran for the freedom you have to write your column? If the jihad's have there way you will only be able to write what they approve of, and only after you demonstrate your loyalty saying your daily prayers as you face Mecca.

Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2008 8:10 PM

The last time I thanked a veteran?
That'd be today.

>>> "Stephen Jelinek" <sjelinek@comcast.net> 3/28/2008 5:53 AM >>>

Thanks Nick, I will look forward to seeing it in your column. Please feel free to give me a call; I'd love to buy you a Starbucks.

Steve Jelinek

Cold War Vet 1975 - 1979
Peace is Our Profession - (Strategic Air Command Motto)

Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2008 9:28 AM

Did you read these columns:
The WWII Marine I wrote about after his funeral in Dodge Center last month? Tthe columns I wrote at the dedications of the WWII memorials in St Paul and, earlier, in Washington, D.C? Did you complain about the columns I have written about soldiers kliled in Iraq, from Wisconsin, South Dakota, Morris, MN, Shakopee, etc? Vietnam vets trying to get recognition and respect? the crew of the USS Minneapolis meeting for a last reunion? the dwindling crew of the USS Ward from St Paul who fired the first shot at Pearl Harbor, or all the columns I have written saluting the National Guard and making them the Minnesotans of the Year? Etc Etc? I didn't think so.

>>> "Stephen Jelinek" <sjelinek@comcast.net> 3/28/2008 12:24 PM >>>

Hi Nick,

No I have not read the articles you mentioned. As I said the Star & Tribune lost its ability to be objective, and in doing so lost me as a subscriber years ago. In example you're very far reaching spin that the vets for freedom being a political group promoting the GOP.

http://www.startribune.com/local/17035406.html

Yes, for obvious reasons individual members of their group lean towards the G.O.P. However Al Gores Inconvenient Truth movie played throughout most all the public school houses throughout the nation. Do you think there wasn't a political agenda behind Al Gores movie? What happened to the column crying politics about inconvenient truth? The Star and Tribune just accepts global warming as decided, without even opening it up for debate. You know better then I the lack of political diversity, that make up the decision makers at the Star & Tribune. The paper has virtually disenfranchised half of its market. The paper is a private business and has the right to pick just one side of the market, if it chooses. And I have the right to get my news from sources I see as being more legitimate. The weather of late is enough to bring Global warming into question. However, as soon as we have a stretch of weather that is warmer then normal, the pages will be full of "Chicken Little" stories, about how man is impacting the weather. Prove me wrong point me to all the articles that question global warming. Show me the article that points out the politics behind Al Gore's movie.

The problem with the Star & Tribune for the most part we are fed the papers, bigger picture agenda.

Steve Jelinek

Cold War Veteran

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: