SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google Shuts Down Anti-Obama Sites
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Google Shuts Down Anti-Obama Sites Reply with quote

Quote:
Google Shuts Down Anti-Obama Sites on its Blogger Platform
By Warner Todd Huston | June 29, 2008 - 15:22 ET

It looks like Google has officially joined the Barack Obama campaign and decided that its contribution would be to shut down any blog on the Google owned Blogspot.com blogging system that has an anti-Obama message. Yes, it sure seems that Google has begun to go through its many thousands of blogs to lock out the owners of anti-Obama blogs so that the noObama message is effectively squelched. Thus far, Google has terminated the access by blog owners to 7 such sites and the list may be growing. Boy, it must be nice for Barack Obama to have an ally powerful enough to silence his opponents like that!

Cont'd at NewsBusters

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, no more Google for me.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently some or all of the blogs in question have been re-activated and I assume Google will take measures to see that biased shutdown of political sites is curbed.

Nonetheless, Google is a service from which I'd like to be weaned...and I'm as guilty as anyone for using the word "Google" as a synonym for search.

The next time I do so, please slap me down...HARD Wink
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Contact the Federal Election Commission Reply with quote

Wouldn't such action be a violation of the myriad "election" rules, a "contribution in kind" to the Obama campaign for example? Is Google now a 527 for Obama? Are they also shutting down the anti-McCain sites? Nobody in the McCain camp will do anything about it, they may even have initiated the action to shut them down since he has thrown everybody under the bus who DARES to say anything negative about Obama. This is troubling.
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
Apparently some or all of the blogs in question have been re-activated and I assume Google will take measures to see that biased shutdown of political sites is curbed.

Nonetheless, Google is a service from which I'd like to be weaned...and I'm as guilty as anyone for using the word "Google" as a synonym for search.

The next time I do so, please slap me down...HARD Wink

Try dogpile.com.

I stopped using google when it began directing all my searched to advertising web sites.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: START YOUR ENGINES: 'CUIL' TAKES ON 'GOOGLE'... CUIL.COM... Reply with quote

START YOUR ENGINES: 'CUIL' TAKES ON 'GOOGLE'...
CUIL.COM...

Ex-Google engineers debut 'Cuil' way to search (pronounced "Cool")

Jul 28 07:35 AM US/Eastern
By MICHAEL LIEDTKE
AP Business Writer

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Anna Patterson's last Internet search engine was so impressive that industry leader Google Inc. bought the technology in 2004 to upgrade its own system.

She believes her latest invention is even more valuable -- only this time it's not for sale.

Patterson instead intends to upstage Google, which she quit in 2006 to develop a more comprehensive and efficient way to scour the Internet.

The end result is Cuil, pronounced "cool." Backed by $33 million in venture capital, the search engine plans to begin processing requests for the first time Monday.

Cuil had kept a low profile while Patterson, her husband, Tom Costello, and two other former Google engineers -- Russell Power and Louis Monier -- searched for better ways to search.

Now, it's boasting time.

For starters, Cuil's search index spans 120 billion Web pages.

<snip>

For those of us sick of Google, CUIL may be a better choice anyway.
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Overload Reply with quote

Appaarently there is significant interest in an alternate to google. The following is current message at TEWSpilot's Cuil link:

Quote:
We’ll be back soon...
Due to overwhelming interest, our Cuil servers are running a bit hot right now. The search engine is momentarily unavailable as we add more capacity.

Thanks for your patience.

Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quit using Google a while back when they started collaborating with the Chinese Communists. I switched to Ask.com and made it my browser home page. I haven't really noticed any downside and feel better about myself.

Nothing Google does really surprises me much, to be honest.
Yet they grow. Evil or Very Mad
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you guys tried this one. I like this layout a lot.

http://www.searchme.com/
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My browser popped up this warning when I checked the site:

Security warning:

You are about to go to an address containing a username.

Username: logs
Server: logs.drevil.svl.kavam.net

Are you sure you want to go to this address?

Maybe someone more "IT savvy" can comment.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEWSPilot wrote:
My browser popped up this warning when I checked the site:

Security warning:

You are about to go to an address containing a username.

Username: logs
Server: logs.drevil.svl.kavam.net

TEWS, what browser are you using? I went there using IE7 and all appeared normal. Also, McAfee "Site Advisor" gives it a benign rating (not that I have absolute faith in McAfee either).
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it all the time with both Firefox 3 and I.E. 6.0 and 7.0 with no message like that ever coming up.
I have the new AVG with their excellent browser plugin that detects malicious code on web pages and it hasn't beeped on that search engine.
I'm not sure what you are getting there or why.
It's really a great search engine layout with each result displayed as a graphic web page you can scroll through.

#1, I don't trust McAfee either.

Dusty
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dusty wrote:
It's really a great search engine layout with each result displayed as a graphic web page you can scroll through.

Unfortunately Dusty, if the object of this exercise is to avoid Google, it appears (at least according to McAfee) that the search engine relys (to a degree) on Google as a source. Confused
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well foohey. I didn't check to see who they were drawing their database from, I just knew I liked the graphic interface they set up.
So what to do. Yahoo is as bad or worse as Google. MS Live?
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Firefox and IE6, but this message came up when I was using Opera 9.51. Opera has some features I like when browsing sevral sites at once. I only had this site open at the time and opened the search site in a new tab. I just started using McAfee a few days ago, was using Free Avira, so I don't know whether the warning came from Opera or from McAfee. I tried it again just now, using Opera again, and I got the same warning. Beats me. I use Spybot Search and Destroy to trap spyware and adware and "bots as well as to clean my computer regularly, so if it put anything on it, it won't get very far. I haven't noticed any difference in the operation of my computer, so maybe it was a "false positive". Strange that it showed that server path, though, and listed what it did about it.

You can always try the new one I mentioned above:

CUIL.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: