SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taranto's take on Steven King

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Taranto's take on Steven King Reply with quote

"Stephen King has fired back at conservative critics who attacked him over a remark he made a month ago at a writers symposium for high school students," the Associated Press reports from Bangor, Maine:

''I don't want to sound like an ad, a public service ad on TV, but the fact is if you can read, you can walk into a job later on. If you don't, then you've got the Army, Iraq, I don't know, something like that. It's not as bright,'' King said at the April 4 event in which he was accompanied by his wife Tabitha and son Owen.
Blogger Noel Sheppard likened the comment to former Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry's remarks that if you don't get a good education, ''you get stuck in Iraq.''
''Nice sentiment when the nation is at war, Stephen,'' Sheppard wrote.
King fired back Monday.
''That a right-wing-blog would impugn my patriotism because I said children should learn to read, and could get better jobs by doing so, is beneath contempt,'' he said in a statement posted on his Web site.
King said he supports the troops . . .
Did you hear that, he supports the troops! That means if he called them stupid, he must have a good excuse. If he doesn't, we have one for him: It's John Kerry's fault.

Most people don't remember this, but when the haughty, French-looking Massachusetts Democrat ran for president in the early part of this century, he tried to present himself as an intellectual, a man of depth and nuance. Toward that end, he mentioned at every opportunity that he had served in Vietnam. Back in those days, that was understood as a sign of intellect and refinement.

But it turned out that Kerry was--how do we put this kindly?--not actually the sharpest knife in the block. In the Vietnam era, the military's standards were lower than they are today, which means that someone like Kerry was able to get in. So identified is he with military service in the public mind that even someone as prominent as Stephen King now accepts the stereotype that servicemen are dumb--and he supports the troops!

Nice job, Kerry.

-Wlm Shakespeare
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Brilliant Analysis of Elite Leftists Reply with quote

It seems John Kerry is actually Stephen King's "worst nightmare"...and they are both too dumb to know it. When an elite Leftist starts talking, I immediately remember this pearl of wisdom:

"The louder he spoke of his honor, the faster I counted my spoons".... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: