SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question that has bothering me...Take II

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdonions
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Question that has bothering me...Take II Reply with quote

I have heard that Kerry was the lead boat in which he "saved" Rassman. Out of the boats that were present was there only one Action Report made or did each ONC make their own report? It would seem that if each made their own report it would be easier to get that than to get Kerry to release that document.

Like I have said earlier, I am not a Vet so I am unsure as to how the After Action Reports were made.

Thanks for any information that you can give me.
Raggok
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have wondered about this myself. If so many people there have a different recollection of what happened, then how did the "errors" make it into medal citations?

I have a hard time believing that the citations are all based off of Kerry's words alone. So, I only see two possibilities:

1) There was enemy fire and now the Swiftboat vets are changing their story.

2) Or there was not enemy fire, but *several* people collaborated and filed false reports.

If there are other possibilities, then please by all means put them forth.
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Question that has bothering me...Take II Reply with quote

sdonions wrote:
I have heard that Kerry was the lead boat in which he "saved" Rassman. Out of the boats that were present was there only one Action Report made or did each ONC make their own report? It would seem that if each made their own report it would be easier to get that than to get Kerry to release that document.

Like I have said earlier, I am not a Vet so I am unsure as to how the After Action Reports were made.

Thanks for any information that you can give me.

Lead boat means 1st in column. As I believe Kerry was not senior of the 3 OinC's he would not have had primary responsibility for any after action report.

One thing to remember about the river war was that unless there was something really important to report, nothing got reported. Everyone was too busy.

I suspect that Kerry provided an account to Elliott of his actions. George kicked it up the chain as Thurston did separately.

Why?

1. Zummie wanted a lot of medals in that period. I have a Silver Star from roughly the same timeframe and medals were like geedunk then for Swiftees and RiverRats if you were an opportunist. BTW, I wasn't!

2. Kerry's PH3 got rid of a loser so Elliott was probably just shutting up a whiner and opportunist. Check statements from Tom Wright if you don't believe this.

Pure speculation based on comparable experience but....

A real question is...How did Rassman recommend Kerry for a medal? He wasn't based with him. He was a land based SPECFOR Nung advisor while the boats were working off an offshore LST at the mouth of the Bo De! How did he make the recommendation? By PRC-25?

Kerry! Sign a 180 and release "all" of the records.
Raggok
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. Zummie wanted a lot of medals in that period. I have a Silver Star from roughly the same timeframe and medals were like geedunk then for Swiftees and RiverRats if you were an opportunist. BTW, I wasn't!

2. Kerry's PH3 got rid of a loser so George was probablly just shutting up a whiner and opportunist.

What you are saying here somewhat confirms my suspicions that the action reports were allowed to be "embellished" because medals looked good for the unit and it also got Kerry out of their hair. Of course, at the time they had no idea that Kerry was going to end up running for President so now this has all come back to bite them on the ass. This is the only logical explanation I can think of and if it is true it puts the Swiftvets in a very difficult position. They know the reports are false, but they had a hand in that falsification.

I'm not out to get anybody on this, and I can guarantee you that I disliked Kerry well before I started following this story at the beginning of the year when the Swiftvets had their press conference. If there is another reasonable explanation, I'd love to hear it.

As a related follow up question:

Thurlow, I believe, got a Bronze during this incident. Does his citation mention enemy fire?
ASPB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raggok wrote:
Quote:

2. Kerry's PH3 got rid of a loser so George was probablly just shutting up a whiner and opportunist.

What you are saying here somewhat confirms my suspicions that the action reports were allowed to be "embellished" because medals looked good for the unit and it also got Kerry out of their hair. Of course, at the time they had no idea that Kerry was going to end up running for President so now this has all come back to bite them on the ass. This is the only logical explanation I can think of and if it is true it puts the Swiftvets in a very difficult position. They know the reports are false, but they had a hand in that falsification.

I'm not out to get anybody on this, and I can guarantee you that I disliked Kerry well before I started following this story at the beginning of the year when the Swiftvets had their press conference. If there is another reasonable explanation, I'd love to hear it.

As a related follow up question:

Thurlow, I believe, got a Bronze during this incident. Does his citation mention enemy fire?

Don't know about Larry Thurlow's citation. I do know that your conclusions are right except that you've skipped over VVAW and the Wintersoldier testimony.

We've left this alone for 33 year not because it didn't hurt (a lot) but because it didn't matter until about Feb 04 when it looked like Kerry might get the nomination.

A back-bench Kennedy sycophant for Mass? He wasn't worth the pain and suffering to disclose who he really was until it looked like he might be POTUS in another time of war...this one for our economic and potentially our physical survival.
sdonions
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASPB....Thank you for the information. In all my reading on Viet Nam, I have read quite a few things on the PBRs but nothing on the Swifties. Most of what I have read is on the ground pounders. Looks like it is time to add to the collection again.

I want to also thank everyone for putting up the fight to keep Kerry out of the CinC. All of you have show great big brass ones to put up with the Lefties attack and standing firm in the face of adversity.
ASPB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdonions wrote:
ASPB....Thank you for the information. In all my reading on Viet Nam, I have read quite a few things on the PBRs but nothing on the Swifties. Most of what I have read is on the ground pounders. Looks like it is time to add to the collection again.

I want to also thank everyone for putting up the fight to keep Kerry out of the CinC. All of you have show great big brass ones to put up with the Lefties attack and standing firm in the face of adversity.

Go to the following sites to learn more about riverine and coastal surveillance during Vietnam: www.pcf45.com and www.mrfa.org

At the Mobile Riverine Force Association site www.mrfa.org you'll even find out what an ASPB is! Laughing
ArmyWife
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: question Reply with quote

ASPB, you have asked the same question that I've been asking....Did Rassman really put Kerry in for a medal, and how? Not that it's impossible...but it seems sort of unlikely for an Army O-1 or O-2 who would have presumably been out in the jungle much of the time. I guess he could have asked someone in his unit's personel office to fill out the paperwork for him and then he signed it.

I really don't want to believe that Rassman is lying, but rather just confused by the blast and therefore mistaken about the enemy fire. The question lingers in my mind, though.

Why won't Kerry release the records?
HardCorps
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened to a Gunny in my unit in Iraq who dove under a submerged APC that flipped into a marsh by accident and pulled two men out and revived one of them. What happens is the survivor (drowning man) writes an official eyewitness statement. In this case that was put together with other statements and given to the Gunny's Reporting Senior.

The Reporting Senior or the C.O. of that unit writes up a "Summary of Action" and then a separate "Citation" then attaches the whole package to a “Personal Award Recommendation" form 1650. The originator must endorse the first box and every one else up the chain does the same either recommending or kicking it back. By the way the Gunny was recommended for the Navy- Marine Corps Medal, the highest non-combat medal for valor.

In combat, for awards for Valor sometimes they skip the Summary of Action if the Citation is good enough and some General wants to give a spot award (seen it) but always with eyewitness statements.

I can not find kerry's
-1650, -Summary of action, -Eyewitness statements

also there are 3 differently approved and modified Silver Star citations for kerry, some when he was a sitting Senator, The most recent is modified significantly and contradicts the After Action he wrote years ago.

What did Rassman get for that time period and who wrote it?
-ANGLICO FAC - Iraqi Freedom
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
also there are 3 differently approved and modified Silver Star citations for kerry, some when he was a sitting Senator, The most recent is modified significantly and contradicts the After Action he wrote years ago.

I'm nearly positive that the Bronze Star citation was re-written once, as well. One of the stars has three versions of the citation and one has two.

Don't know if that helps you any, just offering the little trivia that's attached itself permanently to my brain cells. Wink
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardCorps wrote:

HC, excellent post, and enough material there to keep an inquisitive pundit awake all night. But the one above is a doozy.

I would love to see a side by side comparison of the changes made in the three citations. The thought of that miscreant possibly using his position as a sitting U.S. Senator to furthur embellish his image by doctoring his "award" makes me damn near nauseous.
cgc
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Medals were like geedunk Reply with quote

I take exception to the comment " Zummie wanted a lot of medals in that period. I have a Silver Star from "roughly" the same timeframe and medals were like geedunk then for Swiftees and RiverRats if you were an opportunist. BTW, I wasn't"

Your medals maybe like geedunk, but all the swiftboat sailors I know, and I am a ex-swift boat sailor, and was stationed in AnToi,We earned our medals. In fact that kind of comment is rude and offensive. What right do you have to speak for us Swift Vets? If your river rat medals are so much geedunk toss them over the fence. As for mine and every swift vet I know they are well deserved. I just wish people would stick to their area of expertise and quit posting things about swift vets and their operations when the reality is they never sailed on Swift Boats. Want to know the truth ask a Swift Vet!

CGC 68-69 AnToi-Danang, Crew 6C
cgc
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:31 am    Post subject: By The Way Reply with quote

This isn't the only site for Swift Boat Vets.

We have another site, Swift Boat Sailors Assoc. from there you can link to one of the most comprehensive Swift Boat crew listings and boat assignments found today. You can find out what boats we sailed on ,when, who the OIC was, what divisions we were in ETC. It would put an end to alot of the guessing I see here. You can also see our area of operations and pictures of the boats.

CGC 68-69 AnToi, Danang Swift Boat Crew 6C
HardCorps
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry's 3 different Silver Star citations from the 60's to the 80's: a comparison of the three copies has too many changes for a post and the required "eyewitness statements" are still missing but the key points are:

1st citation mentions: -"ENEMY SOLDIER sprang up from his position not ten feet from PCF -94 and fled."
-kerry then leaped ashore pursued the man and kills him behind a hooch. there is a second page that is also different from the other 2 re-writes. signed by Adm. Zumwalt- no date

2nd citation changes: -"beached his boat only ten feet away from a VC rocket position"(now not an actual ENEMY SOLDIER) Why does this matter?

This 2nd citation mentions nothing of a single enemy soldier or a hooch but instead says "Kerry in attacking a numerically superior force in the face of intense fire...." This is the big change from a wounded lone VC to a numerically superior force. signed by ADM. Hyland. John O'Neil has mentioned this several times on TV.

3rd citation changes:
-added “By his brave action, bold initiative, and unwavering devotion to duty" no date, signed by John Lehman SECNAV in the 80's * I do not know if kerry was a Senator yet.
- They also say " with utter disregard for HIS own safety and the enemy rockets he again ordered a charge..." if he knew there was more than one rocket and then beached, that shows he was deliberately trying to hurt his men or the citation is wrong or he made it up .
disregarded HIS own safety!! He needlessly endangering his men, the embarked infantry (which didn't get off or fire a shot despite a numerically superior enemy and "intense fire")
He endangered his perfectly good craft, possessing speed, firepower, maneuverability, and communications. Kerry's running aground also caused his primary heavy weapon rendered useless.

HE created a grounded, flammable, thin skinned, exposed, confused COFFIN full of men. Yet, all these men and kerry trained repeatedly to conduct an "action drill" to do the opposite.

When you lead men into fire you never deliberately endangered them for your personal gain. Even if the enemy threat looks minor.

There is a rule in combat- "If it works and it wasn't luck, it's not wrong"
But what is described vividly in the 3 citations is significantly contradictory.
That's the problem, this did not work other wise kerry would have done it again, and the Swift Boats and later Vietnamese Navy would have made it a tactic for winning the Delta and the whole coastline.

The only close eyewitnesses were all written up for the same action and I doubt they ever saw the AAR.

Citations themselves are just paper but they represent the most important sacrifices of all. The paper and cloth do not give men importance or honor, It is the soldier's actions that give the award it's importance and honor.

Conclusion: Although very strange, the changes could mean nothing, and if you have never gone though the precise and careful process of writing and submitting awards both in garrison and combat you may say why is changing a citation a couple times over 2 decades a big deal.

Then why re-write them at all? If it was good-to-go back then, what's the problem Lt.?

If kerry lost the original or threw it over a fence, then there are copies in Naval Records. But if they can't find one then just change the words to make the situation sound more desperate, then delete the one wounded VC that made kerry look like a fool by trying to get his men, 10+ allies and a perfectly good boat damaged or killed for a damned $2 ribbon? -BULL

Not even good initiative with his bad judgment and lies.
-ANGLICO FAC - Iraqi Freedom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: