SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taranto: "BREAKING NEWS: Plane Lands Safely!"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Taranto: "BREAKING NEWS: Plane Lands Safely!" Reply with quote

You just can't write this stuff (unless, of course, you're Taranto)...

Quote:
BEST OF THE WEB TODAY

BREAKING NEWS: Plane Lands Safely!
By JAMES TARANTO
July 24, 2008

So there they were on CNN's "The Situation Room," talking about a new ad for John McCain, an ad "going after the mainstream media, which he says is in love with Barack Obama," as host Wolf Blitzer described it. The ad described the media as being "in the tank" for Illinois's junior senator, and the two "strategists" who were Blitzer's guests, Democrat Jennifer Palmieri and Republican John Feehery, responded predictably:
    Blitzer: What do you think? Does he have a point? Is the mainstream media in love with Barack Obama?

Palmieri: I think as, you know, someone who worked for John Edwards and watched Hillary Clinton, I think the mainstream media is very interested in the Barack Obama story.

I don't think--but I think that, you know, Hillary Clinton tried this strategy, attacking the media, and it doesn't tend to be a winning strategy. She complained during the primary. As a matter of fact, I noted most of those video clips I saw were from the primary. It was--I think it's more a reflection of some of those anchors--not this one--not liking Sen. Clinton, so much as liking Sen. Obama.

But it's--it's generally the sign of a losing campaign when you decide the best strategy for me is to attack the media.

Blitzer: What do you think, John?

Feehery: Yes, Howard Kurtz [of the Washington Post] said over the weekend that there might be a big backlash against the media because of their love with Barack Obama.

You know, we're entering--where the media is under a lot of stress. They have the Internet. Revenues are going down. So, you have this advocacy journalism that is going on, where they are mixing opinion with fact. And it's really hurting the media.

And the fact of the matter is, they love Barack Obama. Lee Cowan himself from NBC News said: I can't--I'm giddy about him. I love Barack Obama.

And this is throughout the media. Now, this is really hurting the media itself. I'm not sure if--and I don't think it's hurting Barack Obama. I think it's actually helping him. You only see this manifest itself in this--you have all the anchors going over and following his every movement in his vacation--his trip to--to the Middle East and to Europe.

Blitzer: All right, guys, hold on one second.

[crosstalk]

Blitzer: Just hold on one second.

All right, Sen. Obama has just arrived at Ben Gurion Airport in Israel. And upon his arrival from Amman, Jordan, he made a brief statement, reaffirming his strong support for Israel.

We will play a little clip.

Obama: I want input and insight from Israel's leaders about how they see the current situation. I will share some of my ideas. The most important idea for me to reaffirm is the historic and special relationship between the United States and Israel, one that cannot be broken, one that I have affirmed throughout my career, and one that I would intend to not only continue, but actually strengthen, in an Obama administration.

Blitzer: He's going to spend the night tonight in Israel. And then, tomorrow, he has meetings with the Israeli leadership, as well as the Palestinian leadership, in Ramallah out in the West Bank.

This is a diplomatic minefield whenever you get involved, John, in Israeli-Palestinian affairs, as you well know....
CNN interrupts a discussion of whether the media are in the tank for Obama for a news bulletin that Obama's plane has landed safely--a dog-bites-man story if ever there was one.

Come to think of it, it's even less noteworthy than a dog-bites-man story. Obama's plane landing safely is literally an everyday occurrence. If a dog bit him, that would newsworthy--especially if it were the toothless watchdog that answers to the name of MSM.

Best Of The Web Today

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Got caught with their pants down!
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, they don't report every left turn, so they are fair, right? Rolling Eyes Wink
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you implied....Taranto is a great writer, but CNN 'wrote a lot' of this parody all by themselves! What a hoot. Perhaps an omen...for a self injected October surprise!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: