SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"President Obama Continues Hectic Victory Tour"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: "President Obama Continues Hectic Victory Tour" Reply with quote

Dana Milbank of the WaPo, certainly no friend to this group, is suffering a bit of agita with the Obama candidacy. I suspect he might be a Hillary die-hard (which may explain his Obama indigestion) but it's interesting to read this level of anti-Obama beltway snark from a decidedly left-of-center WaPo pundit...

Quote:
"As he marches toward Inauguration Day (Election Day is but a milestone on that path), Obama's biggest challenger may not be Republican John McCain but rather his own hubris."

President Obama Continues Hectic Victory Tour
By Dana Milbank
Wednesday, July 30, 2008; A03

Barack Obama has long been his party's presumptive nominee. Now he's becoming its presumptuous nominee.

Fresh from his presidential-style world tour, during which foreign leaders and American generals lined up to show him affection, Obama settled down to some presidential-style business in Washington yesterday. He ordered up a teleconference with the (current president's) Treasury secretary, granted an audience to the Pakistani prime minister and had his staff arrange for the chairman of the Federal Reserve to give him a briefing. Then, he went up to Capitol Hill to be adored by House Democrats in a presidential-style pep rally.

<snip>

Inside, according to a witness, he told the House members, "This is the moment . . . that the world is waiting for," adding: "I have become a symbol of the possibility of America returning to our best traditions."

As he marches toward Inauguration Day (Election Day is but a milestone on that path), Obama's biggest challenger may not be Republican John McCain but rather his own hubris.

Washington Post - cont'd
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh Huh! His arrogant and presumptuous behavior has much of the media in a real snit.
This from The UK Telegraph references Milbank's WaPo piece:
Quote:
~snip~

Mr Obama's overseas tour last week, when foreign leaders and US generals queued up to meet him, may have won applause on the international stage.

But despite a flood of positive images broadcast back home, it sparked some resentment in the media at their treatment by the campaign, as well as questions about the overly presidential choreography of the European stops.

The campaign appears to have invited more criticism by devising a presidential-style agenda in Washington DC for Mr Obama on Tuesday.

He had a meeting with Ben Bernanke, chairman of the Federal Reserve, and sat down with Yousuf Raza Gilani, prime minister of Pakistan, at a smart downtown hotel. Security personnel fanned out and traffic was barred for an entire block as they talked.

Afterwards, Mr Obama's senate office issued a statement which read: "I look forward to working with the democratically elected government of Pakistan to make progress on these issues [of mutual concern] in the future."

The candidate's lengthy motorcade later headed for Congress where he met fellow Democrats. A Congressman who was present described said "it felt like a rock star was in the room", though Mr Obama did emphasise the hard work ahead needed to win.

At the meeting the presidential candidate reportedly said: "I have become a symbol of the possibility of America returning to our best traditions." The comment that has been seized upon by commentators as believing his own publicity.

Journalists who follow Obama's campaign closely are voicing increasing concerns of heavy-handed and overbearing behaviour by his staff. Adam Nagourney, the New York Times chief political correspondent, recently complained of harassment by the Obama campaign it took exception to one of his stories.

Telegraph UK

I also recall a story a few days ago re the reporters travelling on the plane during his Euro tour complaining about campaign procedures limiting their access, and Obama's aide who worked in a previous Administration, said "Well, that's the way
we did it in the Whitehouse."
To which the reporters shouted "BUT YOU'RE NOT IN THE WHITEHOUSE!!!"
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: