SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Former Marine Faces Civilian Trial for Action in Combat
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Former Marine Faces Civilian Trial for Action in Combat Reply with quote

http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=34223

Former Marine Faces Civilian Trial for Action in Combat in Fallujah
Ex-Marine Decries Prosecution in Civilian Court

Monday, August 18, 2008
By Chelsea J. Carter, Associated Press

Irvine, Calif. - A former Marine sergeant facing the first federal civilian prosecution of a military member accused of a war crime says there is much more at stake than his claim of innocence on charges that he killed unarmed detainees in Fallujah, Iraq.

In the view of Jose Luis Nazario Jr., U.S. troops may begin to question whether they will be prosecuted by civilians for doing what their military superiors taught them to do in battle.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigh
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More of John Kerry's legacy.
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Military Extraterritorial Jurisdiction Act is more of the Clinton legacy.

He wasn't happy to just cut our forces to the bone, but felt he had to open what was left to prosecution as well.

All for the "privilege" of serving their country.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So to sum it up, while Clinton was dodging the draft and setting that course for future generations of cowards and America-haters, Kerry was overtly slandering the military to knock them off the pedestal that centuries of tradition and the respect of the grateful citizens had placed them on. Both Clinton and Kerry were planting the destructive seeds that produced the current harvest of "tares": "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" and "Prosecute the War Criminals"...even if they didn't commit any war crimes.

Now I get it.
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will wait for the evidence to come in before commenting on guilt or innocence.
If the evidence warrents a trial, I would rather the military be able to clean their own house via a recall to active duty and a court martial, however, since that is not possible under the law, a civilian trial in federal court is the next best thing.
If he did do the deed, he deserves the consequences.
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The case against him came from a lie detector test? When did they become admissible evidence in a criminal trial? Isn't it true that the one being tested could defeat the test with lies himself, which is more or less why such tests are not admissible?

What does this say about Weemer, the guy being tested, that he made these claims in pursuit of a job with the Secret Service? Am I the only one that thinks such remarks would be an instant disqualification? Can he be that stupid?

This just smells.
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Jury acquits former Marine in killing of Iraqis Reply with quote

RIVERSIDE, Calif. - A former Marine accused of killing unarmed Iraqi detainees was acquitted of voluntary manslaughter Thursday in a first-of-its-kind federal trial.

The jury took six hours to find Jose Luis Nazario Jr. not guilty of charges that he killed or caused others to kill four unarmed detainees on Nov. 9, 2004, in Fallujah, Iraq, during some of the fiercest fighting of the war.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080828/ap_on_re_us/marines_fallujah
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, God!

There has GOT to be a way to prevent this kind of thing from happening ever again. Our soldiers simply cannot be hamstrung into inaction at critical times - they should never be afraid that we're going to come after them like this just for doing their jobs.
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
Thank you, God!

There has GOT to be a way to prevent this kind of thing from happening ever again. Our soldiers simply cannot be hamstrung into inaction at critical times - they should never be afraid that we're going to come after them like this just for doing their jobs.

AMEN!
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Scanners to the Crow's Nest with binoculars Reply with quote

Keep in mind that Beau Biden, Joe Biden's son, is deploying soon as a JAG. I wish him Godspeed and safety, but keep in mind he is a Biden, and a JAG, and I hope he is going over to provide sound legal counseling and not to find ways to prosecute GIs ...we don't need any more Haditha travesties of justice...just thinking out loud....
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Scanners to the Crow's Nest with binoculars Reply with quote

TEWSPilot wrote:
Keep in mind that Beau Biden, Joe Biden's son, is deploying soon as a JAG. I wish him Godspeed and safety, but keep in mind he is a Biden, and a JAG, and I hope he is going over to provide sound legal counseling and not to find ways to prosecute GIs ...we don't need any more Haditha travesties of justice...just thinking out loud....

Your thoughts echo mine, and I am not confident.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More suspicious than comforting....

AG Beau Biden arrives at dad's house

Biden serves as a captain and a Judge Advocate General’s Corps officer – a military lawyer. As such, he would offer legal advice on disciplining soldiers and advise commanders and soldiers on issues such as wills and powers of attorney.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beau Biden has admirably chosen to serve his country as JAG Officer (which I was not aware of before this) and I salute him for it. Let's not go any further down this road.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1, I hope you're right. That's what a lot of folks thought about John Kerry in the beginning. I didn't even know Beau Biden was deploying until some of my contacts voiced concern. Does anyone blame them for not trusting the system now days? I won't post any more about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: