SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amazing Movie Mode of Canon 5dII is a Game Changer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Amazing Movie Mode of Canon 5dII is a Game Changer Reply with quote

We are on the cusp of an amazing revolution in camera design and movie making. Canon is about to steal the spotlight with its new 5dII camera’s movie mode. The key to making that movie quality look, for those of you not familiar with photography , is being able to manipulate depth of focus. By manipulating DOF, you can blur backgrounds/foregrounds and highlight the point of interest. Up until now the only digital camera capable of doing this was the RED.com digital cameras, which are changing the movie industry as we speak, yet are still very expensive. What Canon has done is created a camera without the bells and whistles most movie makers will want, yet can still produce as good or better movie footage than most 100 thousand to 200 thousand dollar cameras. In low light situations it appears the Canon blows just about everything away, including the RED camera system. Cost of the Canon 5dII? Suggested retail of 2,700.00 for body only.

Vincent Laforet had access to a 5DII for a weekend and produced a video which Canon has agreed to host in the next day or two. During his 3 day shoot, he spent 5000 making the video, 2000 of which was spent on a helicopter flight.

His view is this camera is amazing and a game changer.

If you are interested by new technology and seeing things for the first time, be sure to check out his blog for details on the video. The video should be up soon.

Here is the link
BuffaloJack

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern camera systems truly are remarkable. My wife bought me a really nice SLR 2 years ago and it is only recently that I have begun to realize some of its capabilities. I tried something called multifocus (and I couldn't do it again without having the book open). In a single operation the camera allows you to set up to 9 focal planes, then when you snap the shutter the camera takes a bunch of photos each at a different focal plane and makes one picture out of it with everything in focus. Imaging you are at a baseball game and standing behing the home plate umpire. You can have the umpire, catcher, batter, 2nd baseman, and centerfielder all in one shot and all in focus and clear as a bell.
GenrXr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk about a game changer.

The 5dII has Red scared. So much so that a camera they have been working on for over a year was scrapped last night.

This does not happen very often and Jim Jannard founder of Oakley sunglasses and the founder of RED should be commended for being upfront and forward.

He wrote this at 11:35pm last night,

Quote:
We have changed everything about Scarlet because the market has changed and we have discovered a lot of things in the process. We have a new vision.

Wipe you minds of the past announced Scarlet. Forget the design and forget the price. It is all different now. We think you will be surprised. Glad we didn't take any deposits... Smile

Jim

We can all be sure that Canon has a big brother to the 5dII that is really making the industry sweat. The 5dII is a 3k camera when Canon's top of the line is 8k. The 5dII will be eating into the 1dsIII, their current 8k camera until it is replaced and when this occurs, surely it will have even more robust HD capabilities.

Just a month ago RED had the film industry worried and here comes Canon making Red nervous. Amazing technological advances are taking place and in the end, it will be the consumer who benefits most.

HOLY COW!

The video is up. Beyond words.

Watch it.

Keep in mind while watching this that many of the scenes are not lit by external lighting. They are using available light. For instance the scene with the girl in the street. The light is coming form street lamps.

Film cameras cannot do this. The 5dII is able to because of its high ISO large sensor. Does not matter how much money you spend. No film camera in the world can produce that shot.
GenrXr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
Modern camera systems truly are remarkable. My wife bought me a really nice SLR 2 years ago and it is only recently that I have begun to realize some of its capabilities. I tried something called multifocus (and I couldn't do it again without having the book open). In a single operation the camera allows you to set up to 9 focal planes, then when you snap the shutter the camera takes a bunch of photos each at a different focal plane and makes one picture out of it with everything in focus. Imaging you are at a baseball game and standing behing the home plate umpire. You can have the umpire, catcher, batter, 2nd baseman, and centerfielder all in one shot and all in focus and clear as a bell.

I have been shooting a Canon 20d for over two years and actually posted here on the forums for help choosing the camera before buying it. IB Squidly and a few others gave me great help and suggestions.

To this day, I am still opening the manual at times to figure stuff out. They are little computers that can take a very long time to learn.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's an impressive camera.
I really liked the lady in the red dress too. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: