SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swiftboating Means Correcting Media Lies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Swiftboating Means Correcting Media Lies Reply with quote

Thought you might be interested in the following post I have posted on my blogs.

Many people in the Main Stream Media (MSM)misuse the term "Swiftboating". They refuse to admit what the Swift Boat vets were actually doing during the 2004 election.

The Swift Boat vets were doing what members of the MSM would have done if they had been real journalists. The first thing political reporters should learn is that one thing Republican and Democratic politicians have in common is a tendency to lie about their backgrounds.

Real journalists are supposed to check with a variety of sources before writing or telling stories, or at least that's what I learned when I took some journalism courses over 30 years ago. The MSM in 2004 accepted whatever candidate John Kerry told them without question because they were good Democrats who believed it was their duty as journalistic prostitutes for the Democratic Party to follow orders from party leaders.

Those of us who have been in a war know that some people like to exaggerate what they did. Real journalists would have attempted to verify Kerry's account by talking to the other men who were there. The Swift Boat vets were the other men who served with John Kerry and knew what he had actually done.

Real journalists would have checked to see if Kerry and his crew had provided consistent accounts of what happened. The Swift Boat Vets did that and discovered discrepancies in the published accounts Kerry and his crew provided. For example, there was even an account in the July 23, 2004, "Oregon Statesman Journal" that the Green Beret who fell off Kerry's boat and had to be rescued was supposedly on another boat entirely.
"That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoe making and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poor house."
-- Mark Twain
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

every time someone uses 'swiftboating' on my other msg board I always correct it with like:

swiftboating is telling the truth about someone - like the vets did about Kerry.

I'm sure they just love me... too bad!
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the unofficial official definition listed in "To Set the Record Straight" from the Swiftvets and POWs movement in 2004:

Swiftboating: Exposing the lies, deceit and fraud of self-glorifying public officials or candidates for public office who exaggerate their military service by lying about feats of heroism or combat wounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: