SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Top Attack Dog In Troopergate Smear Is Phony Soldier

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Top Attack Dog In Troopergate Smear Is Phony Soldier Reply with quote

Figures... Top Attack Dog In Palin Troopergate Smear Campaign Is Phony Soldier

(hat tip to Gateway Pundit for this revelation)

Democratic state Senator Hollis French, the lead investigator in the smear campaign against Governor Palin, promised his party that the results of the Troopergate probe would be an "October surprise" that would "likely be damaging to the administration."

French is one of the 20%'ers in Alaska who does not approve of Governor Sarah Palin.
He also is a staunch Obama supporter.

Hollis French (fifth from left) and fellow Troopergate hack Kim Elton (on left with beard) who has donated to the Obama Campaign sit on the panel investigating popular governor Sarah Palin.

Governor Palin fired former public safety director Walt Monegan for several incidents of insubordination.
Hollis French and Monegan are close friends.
On his resume French states that he served in the Marine Corps.

Hollis "Gunny" French (D)-- is guilty of misrepresenting that he served in the Marine Corps - when in fact his ONLY exposure to the Marine Corp was attending a Marine ROTC PLC - from which he was DISMISSED and granted a "Discharge" as a Private.
--He NEVER attended, much less graduate from either of the USMC Boot Camps.
--He FAILED to pass the ROTC Platoon Leader Course - thus failing to make the grade to become a Marine Officer.
--Hardly service as a Marine, and the folks in Alaska caught up with French's claims....
--Folks in Alaska to this day, still jokingly refer to the jackass poseur as "Gunny French" and he hates the reminder of his lie -Free Republic.

The lead dog on the Troopergate smear campaign has a little explaining to do himself. On his official State of Alaska website he claims to have been in the Marine Corps Reserve in 1977-78 as a private. There is also a reference to PLC or Platoon Leader's Course. As a former Marine, this smells fishy. In another story French claims he spent six weeks at Quantico, VA. As every Marine knows, Quantico is where Marine officer training occurs. For French to have been a Marine private he would have had to complete basic training at either Parris Island or San Diego, which takes about three months. I also did a military.com search of Hollis French and came up empty. For Hollis French to claim to have been a Marine Reservist is stretching the truth and an insult to all Marines, past and present.

French listed his service as "USMC (ROTC) 1977-1978," which he later explained was six weeks training at the Quantico, Va., Marine Corps base. French said most people saw his military record as a non-issue and he never tried to make it out as anything more or less than was stated in the pamphlet.

...loved this post from a former Marine:

Quote:
The lead attack dog is a phony soldier. Why am I not surprised? I'd love to have some of my Marine buddies visit this butt biscuit and assist him in adjusting his resume'. Marines really love it when someone borrows their thunder... yeah, sure.

If he wants to be a Marine then let's suit him up and send him to Afgoofystan. The boys can always use him for a mine detector.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His State Legislature Bio reads,

Quote:
Military Service:
USMCR (PLC), 1977-1978, Private

http://senate.legis.state.ak.us/fre.php

Few realize that "USMCR (PLC)" means ROTC, which is not Military Service.

I do not understand why Democrats, who seem to despise the Military, see the need to try to connect themselves to it.
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, when in the 3rd and 4th years of ROTC, the cadets receive a small remuneration for their training to assist with college expenses.
In order to carry them on the payroll, they are enlisted in the reserve as privates (E-1)
In the summer between 3rd and 4th years they attend the OCS course (in the Marine Corp known as Platoon Leader Course, PLC.
In the case of those who, for one reason or another, fail the course, they are then discharged as Private (E-1).
So technically, he was in the Marine Corp Reserve for a short time, but failed his basic training and was discharged.
I could be wrong on some of the details, but I have a grand-son-in-law who is now a 1st Lt. USMC, stationed at Iwakuni, Japan, who went this route.
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Troopergate"? Are you refering to "Tasergate"? Wink
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldeagle, I received my commission in the Air Force via ROTC, but our committment may have differed from the Marine version. Anyone who failed to complete the training and receive a commission was obligated to a two year tour of active duty as an Airman E1, not just busted out and given credit for time served. Apparently "Gunny" French made claims beyond even what the Marines allowed on his DD-214 (if he received one).

#1, great idea, I'll pass on the new "Tasergate" identifier.
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I copied this from another forum, posted by a Marine who also went this route. Doubtless, he's more familiar with the curriculum than I.

Quote:
Technically, I think he would have had an enlisted rank while going through officer training for a six week period. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the only true cadet and midshipmen ranks occur at the service academies, and those ranks actually lie in between officer and enlisted. To be paid for either of the two six week PLC courses or the one ten week OCC course, you are given an enlisted rank. It's how you get paid. Your title is "candidate", but you are enlisted for pay purposes, medical care, discharge, etc. I would have to dig (DEEP) into my paperwork and see what rank I was assigned at OCS in the 80's, if I even still have that stuff around. I think it was as an E3 or E4.

The attrition rate at Marine Corps OCS is very high, and this is a marvelous thing! Many young adults realize that it is not something they wish to do and either drop out during their increment or choose not to return. No harm, no foul, thank you and move on. Additionally, there are a high number who are either disqualified for physical reasons or must recycle because of physical injury....shin splints, stress fractures, etc. The beauty of Marine Corps OCS is that we are not focused so much on retention--candidates are afforded every opportunity on a daily basis to leave. How bad do you want to be there and how bad do you want to make it? Brown Field at Quantico serves its purpose as did Camp Upshur. By the time a 2nd Lt reaches TBS, The Basic School, they really have passed some physical and mental hurdles, and are now ready for six months of training with their peers. TBS is different from other junior officer schools. All specialties....aviation, infantry, tanks, arty, MPs, etc. All 2nd Lts attend the same classes and eat the same mud for six months. It has a positive impact down the road and helps build esprit de corps and facilitates the combined arms philosphy of the Corps. Ratios of enlisted to officer in the Corps are around 9:1, which is significantly higher than other branches of the service. The Marine Corps is actually pretty good at wrapping themselves around joint ops because we have a naval heritage and work closely with that branch, and aviation is an intrinsic part of our fighting force.

I don't know why this politician would choose to mention such a brief stint or brush with military service. It serves no logical reason, particularly when he did not follow through and achieve anything.

Semper Fi

"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly "Gunny" French intended to inflate his resume by having some sort of "military service" listed, but for all the good it has done him, he may as well don a sandwich board that reads "I busted out of Marine PLC but I still want to be considered a Veteran".
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dems ruled not biased in 'Troopergate'
Judge kills lawsuit against Obama donors in Palin review

Quote:
Posted: October 04, 2008
12:00 am Eastern

By Chelsea Schilling
© 2008 WorldNetDaily

A judge has ruled the actions of three "Troopergate" lawmakers, including a financial supporter of Sen. Barack Obama, have not risen to the level of appearance of bias against Gov. Sarah Palin, but representatives of Liberty Legal Institute say they fully intend to appeal the decision.

A legislative team has been reviewing Palin for her removal of Walt Monegan, the former commissioner of the Alaska Department of Public Safety, after some say she fired him for refusing to terminate employment of a state trooper who was in the process of divorcing Palin's sister.

However, Palin claims Monegan failed to comply with a state budgetary plan and became insubordinate. She said she never ordered Monegan to fire the trooper.

The lawsuit filed Sept. 16 in the 3rd Judicial District at Anchorage by Liberty Legal Institute sought to stop the investigation because "the investigators have lost the appearance of impartiality required under the Alaska Constitution."

The suit alleges the Alaska Legislative Council inquiry, led by Sens. Hollis French and Kim Elton, with Stephen E. Branchflower as an investigator, violated state law because it was being used to further partisan politics and "smear" Palin.

"The partisan actions of Sen. French, Sen. Elton and Branchflower have tainted the investigation beyond the appearance of impartiality required under the Alaska Constitution," said Kevin Clarkson, of the firm Brena, Bell, & Clarkson and counsel in the suit.

According to the lawsuit, the investigation is being led by Obama supporters, and Elton donated $2,000 to the Obama campaign, then failed to disclose the gift to the Legislative Council.

"He continues to preside over the investigation despite his apparent personal political interest in the outcome of the investigation," the claim said. "Sen. French, the 'investigation project manager,' failed to disclose the comments he had made on a radio program criticizing Gov. Palin's termination of Monegan as 'criminal' prior to being appointed as the 'investigation project manager' and even prior to a vote to investigate at all."

And, the suit said, "Branchflower, the lead investigator, is alleged to be a personal friend of Monegan."

Hiram Sasser, director of litigation at Liberty Legal Institute and co-counsel in the case, said, "No government official should be allowed to abuse their power to advance their political or personal agenda for a smear campaign in violation of the constitutional guarantees of a fair and impartial investigation."

As WND reported earlier, Sasser said state legislators were not as motivated to pursue the case before Palin was chosen to be Sen. John McCain's vice-presidential running mate. But things quickly changed.

"Elton has an interest. He has something that could affect his impartiality," Sasser said. "French has been going around making all kinds of (prejudicial) statements about evidence, saying there will be an October surprise."

"Under the Alaska Constitution, everyone deserves the appearance of a fair and impartial investigation," Sasser said.

Liberty Legal Institute sought to end partisan favoritism in the investigation and ban French, Elton and Branchflower from involvement. However, Judge Peter A. Michalski ruled today that while the Court may duly enforce the due process clause against a legislative investigation, their actions have not risen to the level of the appearance of bias. He denied the temporary restraining order and dismissed the lawsuit.

"This decision is dangerous because it robs every Alaskan of the protection specifically provided by the Alaska Constitution," said Kevin Clarkson, lead counsel for the Alaska legislators and partner at Brena, Bell, & Clarkson.

Hiram Sasser, director of litigation at Liberty Legal Institute and co-counsel in the case, released a statement saying, "We hope the Alaska Supreme Court will see that while some may benefit from this judicial abdication of its responsibility to protect the freedoms of all Alaskans, it poses a great danger to any future target of an unfair and biased investigation."

Kelly Shackelford, chief counsel at Liberty Legal Institute and co-counsel in the case, warned, "It may be the governor today, but it could be you tomorrow."

Firm representative Jennifer Grisham said Liberty Legal Institute will appeal the decision. They also noted Judge Michalski is the same judge who ruled in 1998 that same-sex marriage is a fundamental right. Alaska voters overruled his decision by approving a constitutional amendment.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The level of incompetence by some jurists is breathtaking.
Or maybe it's not breathtaking....maybe it's just corruption.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...products of the same primordal swamp that gave us Roe v Wade, rules wrong on "McCain-Feingold" and "Imminent Domain", and has a very difficult time finding a 2nd Amendment in the U.S. Constitution...but sees FULL RIGHTS for Illegal Combatants captured on foreign battfields....
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resume-padding"Gunny" French is also an idiot.

Quote:
Alaskan Legislator Tells (Rachel) Maddow: 'What Good Does It Do' to Fire a 'Dangerous' Cop?...The well-intentioned Alaskan legislator elaborated on his odd, troubling assertion, asking of anyone taking such a supposedly outlandish action as terminating the employment of a "dangerous" police officer:

Do you think he's going to leave his job and suddenly be docile and happy about life because he's just been fired? It's likely to make him more dangerous.

Heaven forbid that a dangerous state trooper is ever fired. This sort of thing might convey to those employed on the public dime that they are accountable for their actions.

...not to be outdone in showing her own ignorance (or bias), Maddow offered this gem:

"You know it's funny," Maddow said. "Every time we have somebody on from Alaska, they are like the most articulate, clear thinking, clear-speaking person we've yet spoken to. It's a very impressive group up there in Alaska."
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the liberal mantra, don't do anything that might possibly offend criminals, because they might come after you.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to tell which comment is dumber Confused Shocked
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it, Lew, their remarks are an insult to people's intelligence.
Grampa
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROTC does NOT count as any kind of military service. No DD 214 is issued, no benefits are authorized or accrued. A private dicharged from Boot Camp gets a DD214. This turd didn't.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: