SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A fiery Czech is poised to be the face of Europe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: A fiery Czech is poised to be the face of Europe Reply with quote

An adult at the Euro Union helm? The Int'l Herald Tribune (NY Times) with an excellent backgrounder on the "arrogant" (spell that "right of center") Vaclav Klaus ...read the whole article...(emphasis mine)

Quote:
"He has blamed what he calls the misguided fight against global warming for contributing to the international financial crisis, branded Al Gore an 'apostle of arrogance' for his role in that fight, and accused the European Union of acting like a Communist state."

A fiery Czech is poised to be the face of Europe
By Dan Bilefsky Published: November 25, 2008

PRAGUE: In the 1980s, a Communist secret police agent infiltrated clandestine economics seminars hosted by Vaclav Klaus, a fiery future leader of the Czech Republic, who had come under suspicion for extolling free market virtues. Rather than reporting on Marxist heresy, the agent was most struck by Klaus's now famous arrogance.

"His behavior and attitudes reveal that he feels like a rejected genius," the agent noted in his report, which has since been made public. "He shows that whomever does not agree with his views is stupid and incompetent."

Decades later, Klaus, the 67-year-old president of the Czech Republic — an iconoclast with a perfectly clipped mustache — continues to provoke strong reactions. He has blamed what he calls the misguided fight against global warming for contributing to the international financial crisis, branded Al Gore an "apostle of arrogance" for his role in that fight, and accused the European Union of acting like a Communist state.

Now the Czech Republic is about to assume the rotating presidency of the European Union and there is palpable fear that Klaus will embarrass the world's biggest trading bloc and complicate its efforts to address the economic crisis and expand its powers. His role in the Czech Republic is largely ceremonial, but he remains a powerful force here, has devotees throughout Europe and delights in basking in the spotlight.

<snip>

To supporters, Klaus is a brave, lone crusader, a defender of liberty, the only European leader in the mold of the formidable Margaret Thatcher. (Aides say Klaus has a photo of the former British prime minister in his office near his desk.)

Int'l Herald Tribune - cont'd
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaclav Klaus caught my eye about 2 years ago. He has a head on his shoulders and comes with a working BS detector.
The left hates him. He's about a genuinely conservative as you get.

I hope he turns the Euroweenies on their heads.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Europe will have Vaclav Klaus and we get...

Quote:
"It's going to be one of the top priorities of the committee," Kerry said. "I know this playing field and I know this issue."

CLIMATE CHANGE

Global Warming High on Senate Foreign Relations Agenda
Nov 25, 2008

Sen. John Kerry at the State House in Boston, Nov. 4, 2008. (Bizuayehu Tesfaye/Associated Press)

By Juliet Eilperin
Climate change policy will get a boost next year from the fact that some of the most senior members of the Obama administration have focused on the issue during their careers, Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) told reporters today.

Kerry, who will chair the Senate Foreign Relations Committee next Congress, said he expected Vice President-elect Joe Biden and Sen. Hillary Clinton -- who is expected to be named secretary of state -- will both use their new roles to promote a global pact curbing greenhouse gases.

"Both will be exceedingly helpful and important in this effort," Kerry said during the telephone news conference.

Kerry will lead the Senate delegation headed to Poznan, Poland, next month in order to participate in U.N. climate talks that will lay the groundwork for a final international agreement on greenhouse gases in December 2009. He noted that because the Senate must ratify any climate treaty arising from the 2009 negotiations, "We intend to be a full partner with the administration in defining the parameters of a global agreement."

Global warming, he said, is "going to be front and center" on the Foreign Relations Committee's agenda.

"It's going to be one of the top priorities of the committee," Kerry said. "I know this playing field and I know this issue."

The Washington Post

P.S. I happened to be listening to Dennis Prager the other day and he mentioned something that I had not yet made note of. "Global Warming" has now morphed into "Climate Change" (did Kerry miss the memo?). These enviro-demagogues are covering all their bases.
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
Europe will have Vaclav Klaus and we get...

Quote:

CLIMATE CHANGE

Global Warming High on Senate Foreign Relations Agenda
Nov 25, 2008

Sen. John Kerry at the State House in Boston, Nov. 4, 2008. (Bizuayehu Tesfaye/Associated Press)

By Juliet Eilperin
Climate change policy will get a boost next year from the fact that some of the most senior members of the Obama administration have focused on the issue during their careers, Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) told reporters today.

Kerry, who will chair the Senate Foreign Relations Committee next Congress, said he expected Vice President-elect Joe Biden and Sen. Hillary Clinton -- who is expected to be named secretary of state -- will both use their new roles to promote a global pact curbing greenhouse gases.

"Both will be exceedingly helpful and important in this effort," Kerry said during the telephone news conference.

Kerry will lead the Senate delegation headed to Poznan, Poland, next month in order to participate in U.N. climate talks that will lay the groundwork for a final international agreement on greenhouse gases in December 2009. He noted that because the Senate must ratify any climate treaty arising from the 2009 negotiations, "We intend to be a full partner with the administration in defining the parameters of a global agreement."

Global warming, he said, is "going to be front and center" on the Foreign Relations Committee's agenda.

The Washington Post

P.S. I happened to be listening to Dennis Prager the other day and he mentioned something that I had not yet made note of. "Global Warming" has now morphed into "Climate Change" (did Kerry miss the memo?). These enviro-demagogues are covering all their bases.

I would change "bases" to asses. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: