SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Actor Val Kilmer hints at guv run -- again
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Actor Val Kilmer hints at guv run -- again Reply with quote

Quote:
Actor Val Kilmer hints at guv run — again

<snip>

I still think that if people want to learn a little more about Kilmer– besides that he was Doc Holliday in “Tombstone,” Iceman in “Top Gun” or Batman in “Batman Forever” — the Chuck Klosterman profile for Esquire is a good place to start.

This exchange is particularly … well, just read it.

[Klosterman]: You mean you think you literally had the same experience as Doc Holliday?

Kilmer: Oh, sure. It’s not like I believed that I shot somebody, but I absolutely know what it feels like to pull the trigger and take someone’s life.

[Klosterman:] You understand how it feels to shoot someone as much as a person who has actually committed a murder?

[Kilmer] I understand it more. It’s an actor’s job. A guy who’s lived through the horror of Vietnam has not spent his life preparing his mind for it. He’s some punk. Most guys were borderline criminal or poor, and that’s why they got sent to Vietnam. It was all the poor, wretched kids who got beat up by their dads, guys who didn’t get on the football team, couldn’t finagle a scholarship. They didn’t have the emotional equipment to handle that experience. But this is what an actor trains to do. I can more effectively represent that kid in Vietnam than a guy who was there.

....so I posted this information to help educate the arrogant moron:

Quite an indictment against 3.5 million members of the U.S. military who served with honor in combat during the Vietnam war from a man who makes his living speaking lines written by someone else and who lives in a world of fantasy. My undergraduate degree is in Physics, I have an MBA, I have an Airline Transport Pilot's License and a Flight Engineer's Certificate, and I have worked in the field of Aerospace engineering for almost 40 years. Neither John Kerry nor GW Bush nor I, for that matter, had any say in whether we would be assigned duty in Vietnam unless we volunteered. Some of us did volunteer. Of course one could petition for four educational deferments and a fifth to spend a year in Paris studying French, as John Forbes Kerry did, being rich and a prodigy of John F. Kennedy. If one received 3 Purple Hearts, he could ask to come home, even after just 3 or 4 months, and even if the wounds didn't cost him any downtime, as John Kerry did. The only ways to guarantee we would not be assigned to Vietnam would be to desert or dodge the draft, like Bill Clinton and many of the "Vietnam Veterans Against the War", or petition for status change to "Conscientious Objector" prior to receiving orders, or obtain an educational or family deferment, as millions of Americans did.

During my 12 month tour (actually 366 days), more than half the pilots with whom I flew my 100+ missions in Vietnam were Reservists, like me, and Air Guardsmen. John Kerry equated Guardsmen with draft dodgers. Now, Mr. Kilmer equates us all with "punks" and "borderline criminal or poor, and that's why they got sent to Vietnam. It was all the poor, wretched kids who got beat up by their dads, guys who didn't get on the football team, couldn't finagle a scholarship." I pitched four no-hitters my Senior year in High School, and our American Legion baseball team won the state championship two consecutive years. My scholarship offers included MIT, Cal Tech, and a number of other equally prestigious colleges and universities. What was your GPA, Mr. Kilmer? The majority of members of the Guard and Reserves are former Active Duty military. Chances are the next time you get on a commercial airliner, the flight crew will be former military and may even be current members of the Reserves or Guard. Do you know the military background of the pilot who recently made a miracle dead stick landing in the Hudson River?

I often wondered how many names on the Vietnam Memorial Wall are of National Guardsmen and Reservists. One hundred and forty Medal of Honor recipients were in the National Guard. Six thousand seventy-seven members of the National Guard or Reserves died in Vietnam.

No, Mr. Kilmer, you don't have a clue who we are, and you will never be one of us. My conduct and the conduct of my peers was and continues to this day to be slandered by envious Hollywood loser wannabes like yourself and politicians and the media. Sadly, they have again been joined by both the ignorant and the unpatriotic and encouraged by enemies and traitors to undermine the efforts of those new military heroes now proudly serving our country. Military veterans are a brotherhood of unique individuals, melded together in the crucible of wars past and present and bonded by duty, honor, sacrifice, blood, and love of country. More so than through any other fraternity, the associations and friendships formed through the military and law enforcement and firefighters and other emergency service providing units are lifelong, and we mourn the loss of our comrades until we rejoin them again someday in formation in Heaven. Sadly, envious Hollywood loser wannabes, politicians, and historians do not understand, let alone share, our code of conduct and ethics. Perhaps someday they will learn if they have the courage and integrity to recognize our accomplishments and the will to seek the truth and report it honestly and accurately.

No, Mr. Kilmer, you don't have a clue who we are, and you will never be one of us. Visit my website and learn something.

http://www.opaobie.com/promisekept.php
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo Zulu Tews!
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, GoophyDog, I have had a number of requests from bloggers to post my comment. Fine with me. I'm just average compared to the bulk of guys who have served. I'm just happy they let me tag along.

I alerted "Sgt Josh" in Afghanistan and told him to pass the word, especially among his New Mexico buddies. I told him Kilmer wants to run for Governor of New Mexico and to ask them if they want HIM as their Governor -- and as their Commander in Chief of the New Mexico National Guard.
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, he played a Navy fighter pilot in "Top Gun", he should know all there is to know about the military and how to lead it, now. Rolling Eyes

PS: Excellent essay, TEWS.
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldeagle, thank you.

I'd be willing to let him try a few actual night carrier landings in a storm low on fuel if he wants to prove he can fly better than REAL Navy pilots. I'd even let him try to replicate some of the landings I made into A camps onto postage stamp pads with enemy all around licking their chops at a chance to....oh, never mind.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post TEWSPilot and excellent comeback to Mr. Kilmer.
I've always liked his acting but the guy behind the mask seems to be pretty shallow judging by his comments.
Arrogant fits pretty good.
Enjoyed reading your comments.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dusty, thank you....I doubt that Kilmer would like my comments. He's off my "go see" list. I've alerted as many of my friends in New Mexico as I can think of. Feel free to join the fun. Laughing
four-niner delta
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you TEWSPilot for your comeback to Kilmer.

Lets see now. I was a straight-leg ground pounder in the U.S. Army in 1966-67, in the Mekong Delta with the 9th INF DIV Mobile Riverine Force. My Dad owned a manufacturing business in Los Angeles. We weren't poor. I had a college degree. My FDC partner was an executive with Ford Motor Company in Detroit. We all humped the paddies together-no class distinction. We served proudly. Where is this moron coming from? I just read the article on FOXNews that Obama has put the brakes on the surge in Afghanistan. He has told Sec. Gates to stop the deployment of anymore troops. Talk about telegraphing the enemy your plans! This is the crowd we have in there now. Kilmer should fit right in with this bunch!

bin Laden must be laughing his a** off. This new president is more dangerous than Kerry ever thought of being. It won't take long for our military to degrade to the post Jimma Carter era before Reagan brought us back. End of rant!
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/elections/2009/02/08/obama-putting-brakes-surge-afghanistan/100days/
Mobile Riverine Force
A Co. 3/60 9th INF DIV
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilmer is, apparently, certifiable.

I've always been somewhat perplexed by the notion that Americans (and, I suppose, homo sapien in general) place such stead in utterings from those in a profession whose stock and trade is fantasy. Rolling Eyes
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilmer is now claiming he never said this,

Val Kilmer Responds

The poster his assistant sent the response to is currently trying to get ahold of the Esquire article author.

We'll what pans out.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lew, It looks like Kilmer caught on to that "Change" philosophy pretty quickly. Funny, we USED to call that "flip-flopping" back when Kerry was running for POTUS. Laughing
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welllllll, he is considering a career in politics, Wink
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, with Bill Richardson as his mentor....he'll fit right in with the new freshman class that includes Al Franken....phony-balony actors and impersonators and clowns to join the DC Circus....bring on the ELEPHANTS!!!!
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As suspected, Esquire Confirms Val Kilmer Quote
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
As suspected, Esquire Confirms Val Kilmer Quote

Hmmmm. An obvious narcissist, a loather of the military, allegedly not unfamiliar with the use of mind-altering substances, an apparent consummate liar...all pretty good credentials for a democratic nomination these days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: