SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Federal agency warns of radicals on right"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: "Federal agency warns of radicals on right" Reply with quote

Why am I not surprised? (emphasis mine)...

Quote:
Federal agency warns of radicals on right
9-page report sent to police
By Audrey Hudson
Washington Times
Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Department of Homeland Security is warning law enforcement officials about a rise in "rightwing extremist activity," saying the economic recession, the election of America's first black president and the return of a few disgruntled war veterans could swell the ranks of white-power militias.

A footnote attached to the report by the Homeland Security Office of Intelligence and Analysis defines "rightwing extremism in the United States" as including not just racist or hate groups, but also groups that reject federal authority in favor of state or local authority.

"It may include groups and individuals that are dedicated to a single-issue, such as opposition to abortion or immigration," the warning says.

The White House has distanced itself from the analysis.

<snip>

The nine-page document was sent to police and sheriff's departments across the United States on April 7 under the headline, "Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment."

It says the federal government "will be working with its state and local partners over the next several months" to gather information on "rightwing extremist activity in the United States."

The joint federal-state activities will have "a particular emphasis" on the causes of "rightwing extremist radicalization."

<snip>

Homeland Security spokeswoman Sara Kuban said the report is one in an ongoing series of assessments by the department to "facilitate a greater understanding of the phenomenon of violent radicalization in the U.S."

The report, which was first disclosed to the public by nationally syndicated radio host Roger Hedgecock, makes clear that the Homeland Security Department does not have "specific information that domestic rightwing terrorists are currently planning acts of violence."It warns that fringe organizations are gaining recruits, but it provides no numbers.

The Washington Times

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shades of '1984' eh?
Methinks it's time to give the Homeland Security Dept. a lesson in direction.
Like out the back door. This is an outrageous infringement on the rights of every American.
The people behind writing and issuing this report need to be summarily fired with prejudice.

Went to a local Republican Club meeting last night. Jessica Hughes was the guest speaker. Very interesting to meet her and hear first hand of her experiences with the Secret Service last year. Google her name.
Her take on the purpose the tea parties across the country should be that the population of this country pursue a Constitutional Amendment that spells out specifically what the founding fathers wrote into that docmument as far as the limitations on Congress and what they can and can't do.
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty,

While I do like your idea, before a Constitutional amendment can even be considered the position and interpretation of the the supreme court needs to be felt. What is it, something like 20 states so far who have taken up the banner of enforcing their rights under the 10th amendment? That number needs to double and some court rulings need to fall their way before an amendment would have a ghost of a chance of passing.

Hey, does anyone else recall that Penn state or where ever it was that recently had those "educational" videos, one of which was a teacher having a hard time with a "veteran"? I know we discussed it here somewhere - isn't the timing just a bit odd that it should come out and then this report? Seems to me one of the report writers was definitely hitting the Kos coolaid circuit.
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the causes of "rightwing extremist radicalization."
Right about here, right about now (while my head is still exploding) pretty sure that a Top Ten list of ' the causes of "rightwing extremist radicalization" ' is long overdue. So I'll start:

10. Radicalization of the Obama Whitehouse organization, starting with Rahm Emanuel
9. Radicalization of DC, importing the 'Chicago Machine' in lieu of 'bureaucrats'
8. Radicalization of the Cabinet
7. Radicalization of the Dept of Justice, Eric Holder, chief Defense Attorney for Gitmo detainees
6. more to follow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: