SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rudin: NY 23: Can Doug Hoffman Pull A 'Buckley?'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Rudin: NY 23: Can Doug Hoffman Pull A 'Buckley?' Reply with quote

This is an interesting development that I'm just now tuning into. While I'm wondering just how Scozzafava managed to garner the GOP nomination in the first place, it appears that the NY23 republican/conservative base is about to take the NY State GOP to the woodshed for some much needed "education"...

Quote:
NY 23: Can Doug Hoffman Pull A 'Buckley?'
by Ken Rudin
Political Junkie
NPR
October 27, 2009

The story line for the Nov. 3 special congressional election in upstate New York's 23rd District has been pretty consistent in the past several weeks. This is the seat vacated by Republican John McHugh, who was picked by President Obama to become the Secretary of the Army. The seat has never gone to a Democrat.

But the Republican candidate, state Assemblywoman Dede Scozzafava, is being viewed with suspicion, if not dismay, by a growing number of conservatives for her positions on an assortment of issues, including abortion, same-sex marriage and taxes. In many states, the choice for conservatives would be limited: hold your nose and vote for the Republican candidate, or sit home.

In New York, there is another choice: Doug Hoffman, the Conservative Party candidate, who was endorsed by the third party after he failed to secure the GOP nod. For the longest time, polls have shown Hoffman eating into Scozzafava's support. Three weeks ago, Hoffman's numbers were a nuisance to the GOP. Then, a Siena College poll showed Hoffman costing Scozzafava the lead, which she had held from the beginning.

It's not that the right didn't realize their litmus test would jeopardize the historic GOP hold on the seat. It's that they didn't care. Or, to be fairer, that wasn't the point. There is party and there is principle, they argued, and principle comes before party.

<snip>

The momentum away from Scozzafava and towards Hoffman was further underlined by the release of a poll Monday that had the Conservative ahead. The poll -- paid for by the pro-Hoffman Club for Growth, so view the numbers with some skepticism -- had Hoffman at 31 percent, Democratic nominee Bill Owens at 27, and Scozzafava at 20.

The guess here has long been that the Republican split elects Owens. This poll is the first indication I've seen that shows Hoffman with a shot.

NPR - cont'd

on edit: A quick search reveals that Scozzafava was designated as the GOP candidate by the NY State GOP chairman. Quite astonishingly, among Scozzafava's endorsers is none other than...get this...MARKOS MOULITSAS of DAILY KOS!

Good Lord Rolling Eyes

This election has apparently become a line in the sand "cause celebre" among conservative notables. Check out the list of endorsements......and Doug Hoffman for Congress here.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, in this race, the so called Republican is left of the Democrat!

Sarah Palin and others endorsing Doug Hoffman should send a wake up signal to the RNC, but they are still hung up on 'R' behind the name, erroneously thinking the more R's the better.

It doesn't do the GOP any good to be more liberal than Democrats and is why they are once again the minority party.

Having DailyKOS endorse a Republican candidate just proves why Scozzafava should not be elected.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even Newt Gingrich has endorsed Scozzafava - who never met an abortion she didn't like.

Listening to his comments the other day about Reagan's "big tent," I kind of wondered if Newt isn't suffering a bit of Alzheimers? He apparently doesn't remember Reagan's winning campaigns very clearly - or even his own.

I hope with all my heart that dear Dede comes in third - what a wake up that would be for our out-of-touch and out-to-lunch Repug leadership.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps inevitably, Scozzafava withdrew from the race...and then endorsed the democrat.

Not until after, of course, garnering the kudos of GOP notables for her "high mindedness".

Rolling Eyes
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's high, all right.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
Even Newt Gingrich has endorsed Scozzafava - who never met an abortion she didn't like.

Listening to his comments the other day about Reagan's "big tent," I kind of wondered if Newt isn't suffering a bit of Alzheimers? He apparently doesn't remember Reagan's winning campaigns very clearly - or even his own.

Perhaps more than anything else I have drawn from this episode is an ever-increasing aversion to Newt Gingrich et al and their "Big Tent" approach to GOP viability. My disappointment in Gingrich's transition from articulate, super-informed, principled Republicanism to "go along to get along" political posturing is profound. From "climate change" to Scozzafava, Gingrich and his like-minded political philosophers can generally be counted on to sacrifice principle for short-term "survival" politics at the altar of GOP fecklessness.

Enough. Just . Enough

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
Perhaps more than anything else I have drawn from this episode is an ever-increasing aversion to Newt Gingrich et al and their "Big Tent" approach to GOP viability. My disappointment in Gingrich's transition from articulate, super-informed, principled Republicanism to "go along to get along" political posturing is profound. From "climate change" to Scozzafava, Gingrich and his like-minded political philosophers can generally be counted on to sacrifice principle for short-term "survival" politics at the altar of GOP fecklessness.

Enough. Just . Enough

I could not agree more, #1! I am surprised and saddened over the unwelcome change that is ruining GOP leadership. Apparently, we are not alone in this assessment, if one follows the news.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: