SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Open letter to a Kerry supporter.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hueygunner
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:28 am    Post subject: Open letter to a Kerry supporter. Reply with quote

I don't think John Kerry can do a better job than George Bush in handling the war in Iraq. If you know anything about American history, you'll recall that America has found itself in an unpopular war before and the candidate who ran on a campaign promise to get us out of Vietnam with honor failed to do any better than then President Lyndon Johnson (who also happened to be from Texas).

What happened during President Nixon's term in office brought shame upon America. The U.S. pressured a beleaguered ally to accept unacceptable conditions in order to achieve a semblance of peace. President Nixon and Congress agree to a peace accord in 1973 that spelled out the withdrawal of American military forces from Vietnam but left the North Vietnamese Army in place in the northern-most province of South Vietnam. Also, the U.S. promised to support South Vietnam and to come to its aid if it was attacked again. As its part of the peace agreement, North Vietnam agree to a peaceful reunification of Vietnam and it promised not to attack South Vietnam. In 1975, just two years after signing the Paris Peace Accords, North Vietnam attacked South Vietnam and overthrew the legitimate government of South Vietnam. Shamefully, the United States did nothing to stop the destruction of South Vietnam and refused to enforce the peace agreement it had worked so hard to negotiate in order to withdraw from South Vietnam with "honor".

All wars have an element of corruption in them. Just look at corporate America and you'll see what I mean. There is corruption in a peaceful nation so how can one expect more from a nation at war. To expect a war to go perfectly is totally unrealistic. President Lincoln who is considered today to be one of our greatest presidents was dogged by scandal during his terms in office. He was accused of being a dictator; in fact, he acted like one, locking up a Supreme Court justice who publicly scolded his administration. The corruption during the Civil War was so rampant that bloody riots broke out in several large cities across America. In New York City, entire neighborhoods were burned down and Negroes were lynched because the Irish immigrants felt they had started the terrible war which was causing the deaths of thousands of Americans. (The Irish were treated little better than the Negroes and they were drafted into the Army while wealthy American citizens bought their way out of the service.)

Personally, I wouldn't vote for John Kerry if he was the only candidate running for the Presidency. I totally dislike the man for his actions as a Vietnam Veteran. He smeared the entire United States military with his accusations of war crimes being widespread in Vietnam. He served four months in Vietnam and he witnessed all sorts of war atrocities; I served two years and I didn't see one. Furthermore, he supported the enemy of my brothers in arms by demonstrating against the Vietnam War. The North Vietnamese general who is largely credited with winning a war against a far superior force has acknowledged the role the anti-war groups in America played in the final outcome of that bloody struggle that left millions of Vietnamese behind a bamboo curtain.

The men that I knew who fought in the Vietnam War don't brag about being war heroes. In fact, I found it hard to pry their war experience out of them. Some absolutely refused to talk about it. As a young soldier just arrived in South Vietnam, I begged a seasoned infantryman to tell me his war stories because I wanted to learn how to survive combat. He only said that even if he told me that I wouldn't understand. Years later, I saw the wisdom in his words. I can't explain what war is to someone who hasn't been in one. It's like trying to tell a blind man what a rainbow looks like.

The only thing I can say to you is that I believe we're in a similar junction in history today with the war in Iraq. We can either pursue the war to a successful conclusion and ensure the survival of freedom in that struggling new nation...or we can withdraw in disarray, leaving Iraq to a bunch of jackals who will feed on the carcass of a dying democracy.

Note: My name appears with my username in the reply I sent; I suspect every guy with my name will get tons of John Kerry email.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent : Sunday, August 15, 2004 12:02 PM
To : (snip)
CC : the-longest-war@yahoogroups.com
Subject : Re: Fwd: [the-longest-war] Disloyalty and the Vietnam War

William;

Thank you for your dedicated service & your proper decision to make a rigth choice for America in respect to George "W" Bush mishandling of the Iraq issue. As you are aware, I was born in Vietnam to a mixed French-Vietnamese family & left the country years ago during the height of the Vietnam war for France. I just returned to Vietnam on a tourist trip & did not recognize it due to a tremendous economic changes- the major cities (Hanoi, HCM/Saigon) look no different than Hong Kong or L.A
the young people bear no grudges or hard feelings against America, as a matter of fact, people throughout the country develop an admiration for America, its culture, fast food, music; however I also had an opportunity to talk to many retired veterans who fought at Dien Bien Phu, Khe San, Ia Drang- they all have said the same things you have mentionned, primarily America under Bush has committed geopolitical mistakes, which will come back to haunt future presidents ie; loss of trust in America, political/military and economic rise of China to challenge the US in Pacific & throughout the world. At this critical point, the US needs the world cooperation in its struggle against a worldwide terrorist network. By itself, the US cannot possibly do it, due to financial & political constraints. I am sure & convinced just like people in Europe, Asia, S. America & everywhere else, America's fate & destinies would be better served by a President elect Kerry & VP John Edwards.

Sincerely,
Gaston

--Vietnam War Resource Guide
http://members.aol.com/veterans/warlib6v.htm
--World's Largest Online Personnel Registry
http://members.aol.com/veterans/warlib46.htm
--To Unsubscribe send a blank email to:
the-longest-war-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: