SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OP - Ed Author needs to hear from us...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmackto
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:44 am    Post subject: OP - Ed Author needs to hear from us... Reply with quote

http://www.cbc.ca/news/viewpoint/vp_basen/20041030.html

About 2/3rds of the way through the article the author calls the swift vet allegations bogus. Please let him know that he is a hyprocrite. There is a contact/comments link on the right hand column toward the bottom.

GRRRRRR this kind of crap drives me crazy.

This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure.
- Winston Churchill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it curious how everyone seems to paint the SBVT with a broad paintbrush? Making a blanket statement like: " "The Swift Boat Veterans for Truth," an anti-Kerry group whose bogus allegations helped sow the seeds of doubt about the Democrat's war record" without citing even ONE example of a "bogus allegation"?

Sounds actionable to me. But, then again, I'm not a lawyer.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
Skywatch
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a crock of a story... I just penned this missive to them:

Quote:
"Bogus"? I think not. While hearing the Big Media make this same unsubstantiated claim on an almost daily basis, I have yet to hear of even one substantive claim the Swift Boat Vets have made that has been truly discredited. It's truly remarkable that whenever I hear of the "discredited" Swift Boat Vets, no specifics as to which of their claims that have been supposedly "discredited" are ever mentioned. Indeed, you are parroting the Big Media's distortion of the facts and your story clearly demonstrates and further compounds the problem by your participation in the distortion and your apparent dependance on the Big Media to do the research for you, however inadequate or biased it may be.

Next time, before making such a claim to pander to your readers, perhaps you could do the research yourselves and report objectively on your own findings instead of just taking cues from the Big Media.

Sincerely,

tx
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent him an email. He probably will not research.

Thanks
tx
closer
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: cbc Reply with quote

Canadian news mouthpiece ... could we expect anything more???
subsailor 2
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and mine:

Interesting article but it repeats a common fallacy. The Swift Vet charges are not bogus. If they were, Kerry would have signed standard form 180 and released all his military records. There are still upwards of 100 pages not released. I am not a “swifty” but I am a retired Naval Officer (submarines) and I can attest to the fact that Kerry is hiding something by his refusal. While he has released some material, I know from experience that there is a tremendous amount of material that is missing. I also have been a collector of military decorations for 40 years and a careful review of Kerry’s record and the after action reports clearly shows that there is something wrong. At least two of the Purple Hearts and the Bronze Star are based on false claims and I can prove it from the available records. In addition, the famous picture of Kerry testifying to congress shows Kerry wearing at least three awards that are not documented in his record (he was authorized one of them in 2001 – erroneously). I would be willing to have a further discourse on this if you are so inclined.

Regards

LCDR USN (RET)
gerson
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: a piece of my mind Reply with quote

Here's what I sent them

Quote:
In this article, Ira Basen uses the terms "little validity," "bogus allegations," and "partisan attacks" in reference to the Swiftboat Veterans. Has Mr. Basen put in any serious time studying the matter? If so, he should visit the following website and take up the challenge:

http://beldar.blogs.com/beldarblog/2004/09/chronological_i.html

A challenge to those who claim that the SwiftVets' allegations have been "debunked" or are "unsubstantiated"

Beldar, a Houston attorney indicates that the mainstream media has little basis for making responsible judgments:

MSM still clueless about basic details of Kerry's military record (and SwiftVets' claims)

As a member of a growing number of angry members of the public, let me tell you that we expect people in the media to know MORE than we ourselves do about a subject, not less. About this subject alone, I have read Beldar's Blog and many other things, including original documents.

There are many other people like me, and what we have seen time and again -- as in the case of Mr. Basen's latest column -- is irresponsible statements based on no research whatever.

Why should we want to waste our time reading swill like Mr. Basen's latest column when we have detailed knowledge of a subject? And be expected to pay for it too!

No, guys, you better get used to it. The MSM is a loser because you are losers. And you are finally going to have to start working for a living.

I would very much like responses to my complaint about this column from you and from Mr Basen himself so I can share them with others. If you don't respond, I will share that fact.

Sincerely,

Notice I told them I wanted a REPLY, Twisted Evil and threatened them with telling others if they didn't reply. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad If they get lots of letters like that calling on them to put up or shut up, maybe they will become more cautious about what they write.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gersen's response got me thinking (uh-oh, there he goes again...) We're all sick of the standard "discredited," "bogus allegations," etc., broad sweep misrepresentation. And we have to counter it.

But challenging a news person to do his/her own research just might be counterproductive. The Swift Boat allegations against Kerry are based on pretty complicated chains-of-evidence (I'm not sure we can even call it "proof"), and a news person who is on a schedule to fill so many column inches of ink is not likely to have the time or the knowledge to do the research required to burn through the fog of evidence. If we insisted on solid evidence, or even proof, I'm not sure that anything that the Swiftees know and have alleged will ever get published.

But news people do not always (I'd contend seldom) depend upon first-person research. They seem to like to have an attributable source to cover their butts as a good-enough basis for their stories. (Thus they probably feel secure in making the broad sweep dismissals of the Swiftee claims by being able to point to other major news sources as the source of their statements.)

With this in mind, I'd recommend that we consult someone steeped in journalism-speak to help us to craft answers to such trash. Do we have any journalists among us? Close relatives? Sympathetic friends? The challenge, I think, is to put our case into some form of evidence that news people can recognize and cite as credible evidence as defined by the journalism world.

Of course this won't help a bit if the writer/reporter, etc. is biased and determined to smear the Swiftees. But even in that case the right words of rebuttal will make it more difficult for such a person to ignore us.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one word.
CROCK !!!
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBC News Viewpoint wrote:
...He has taught at the University of Toronto and Ryerson....
Viewpoint

IMO, this is the most revealing fact about our new enemy! Obviously my attitude is in the crapper right now and has been since yesterday. I make no apologies for my feelings, I believe my country is in peril and if we elect Silky Pony, I see a potential call to arms not seen for seven score years.
drjohn
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just fired off an email as well.

I don't believe that Carl Cameron thing- I suspect it was a joke.
Nomorelies
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But challenging a news person to do his/her own research just might be counterproductive. The Swift Boat allegations against Kerry are based on pretty complicated chains-of-evidence (I'm not sure we can even call it "proof"), and a news person who is on a schedule to fill so many column inches of ink is not likely to have the time or the knowledge to do the research required to burn through the fog of evidence. If we insisted on solid evidence, or even proof, I'm not sure that anything that the Swiftees know and have alleged will ever get published.

Yeah right. Woodward and Bernstein are perfectly capable of hunting down a story when it suits their partisan bias. Chain of evidence is a lot easier to do now with the internet. The media is lazy, indifferent and partisan. The day is upon them when bloggers will, on a day-to-day basis, with full knowledge of their chain of command make perfect fools out of the likes of Dan Rather and the other old hacks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: