SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sparky, please humor me

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buddy
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Sparky, please humor me Reply with quote

First of all, I know I'm not an accomplished writer. Not as good as you are. But I asked a question in good faith and you answered: it was stupid, had mis-spellings and you were not going to respond. I admit I had 4 mis-spelled words. I' ll try to be perfect this time. I'm going to retype my original post and correct the mis-spellings. You are good with words and phrases so maybe you will tear my question to pieces. I really haven' t accomplished that much in life after my service in Swift Boats. But, I did give it my all and the Navy put me out on disability from being wounded over there. Never graduated from H.S., but did get a GED. You seem to be quite accomplished. So, please just humor me about my original post. Here goes: A Ltjg in the U.S. Navy, a commissioned officer, is in Vietnam for just a few days. He's on a first patrol with 2 enlisted men (1 of whom I know personally.) He is struck with something so small and insignificant that it only requires a band-aid. (You have cut yourself in the kitchen while slicing food I'm sure and didn't beg for any special recognition) Please!! Now Mr. Kerry applies for a medal for this. He's denied as it's too superficial. He gets transferred and reapplies! What does this behavior show about his character as an officer to his men? It's ridiculous on the face of it. In a previous post you went on about even though his wounds were so small they COULD HAVE BEEN SERIOUS if they hit in a more vital area. Does this mean that a near miss of inches over your head from a 7.62x39 round as opposed to a miss of a vital area of a few feet on his body also qualifies? The near miss is closer than a hit in the rear end. Doesn't Kerry's action re: the first PH look like medal envy?
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Sparky, please humor me Reply with quote

Beautifully written, but don't hold your breath for a civilized or intelligent reply.
sparky
Former Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I'm not convinced that he applied (was denied and then reapplied) for that Purple Heart.

And we can't award medals for "near misses" since there's no concrete evidence that a piece of shrapnel whizzed past you. The criteria for receiving a Purple Heart doesn't include "near misses" and if you object to this, take it up with the DOD. Besides, Kerry's Purple Hearts weren't given only for the risk and endangerment, but also for the accompanying injury.

Finally, I'm not convinced that the sources describing the shrapnel as "small and insignificant" are reliable. The camp of critics, seriously, is the same group that started the campaign against McCain for having a black "love child" and against Clinton for murdering small children in Mena, Hillary for murdering Vince Foster and dozens of other absolute whoppers.

I'm just too jaded to believe that rightwing crap anymore. You guys blew your load of credibility in the 90's.
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who blew his load in the 90's?

LOL

Laughing
Marine4life
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one Scott. Kind of sums that up.
Keith
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky wrote:
First of all, I'm not convinced that he applied (was denied and then reapplied) for that Purple Heart.

And we can't award medals for "near misses" since there's no concrete evidence that a piece of shrapnel whizzed past you. The criteria for receiving a Purple Heart doesn't include "near misses" and if you object to this, take it up with the DOD. Besides, Kerry's Purple Hearts weren't given only for the risk and endangerment, but also for the accompanying injury.

Finally, I'm not convinced that the sources describing the shrapnel as "small and insignificant" are reliable. The camp of critics, seriously, is the same group that started the campaign against McCain for having a black "love child" and against Clinton for murdering small children in Mena, Hillary for murdering Vince Foster and dozens of other absolute whoppers.

I'm just too jaded to believe that rightwing crap anymore. You guys blew your load of credibility in the 90's.

Two observations:

1) He said he knew a witness to the event personally. You can choose to believe him or not, but he is not relying on rightwing crap as his source

2) I didn't see the original post, but Buddy served our country and seems to have asked a civil question and you call him stupid for not writing eloquently? Shame on you. There are probably folks on this board who have disrespected you, but that doesn't give you leave to disrespect a vet who has treated you with respect (I admit I am assuming here since I am basing my admonition on this post, having not seen any previous posts between you two) If I were you, I'd apologize.

Sheesh.. you guys are making me sound like my dad Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: