SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It seems like the Navy gave out medals like candy in Vietnam
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
all3
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:04 am    Post subject: It seems like the Navy gave out medals like candy in Vietnam Reply with quote

I've talked with Army Veterans who served in Vietnam and they agree. They claim that the Navy was trying to compete with the Army and gave out plenty of medals to the Navy people who were on the ground in Vietnam.

I count almost 20 medals in the 1 minute SwiftVets ad.

That fact that Kerry won 3 Purple Hearts a Silver Star and a Bronze Star during his 4 months in Vietnam seems to support this claim.

[EDITED BY MODERATOR]

Last edited by all3 on Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:24 am; edited 2 times in total
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some medals were given out undeservedly, I'm sure. But to label the entire group as "overmedaled" is a bit over the top, I feel.
lrb111
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did earn some medals.
Just htink though if kerry had stayed a full year like those guys, he would have come back with 15. If he could maintain his literary pace..
all3
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Some medals were given out undeservedly, I'm sure. But to label the entire group as "overmedaled" is a bit over the top, I feel.

Kerry's first Purple Heart appears to be a self-inflicted flesh wound that Dr. Letson treated with a Band-Aid.

I can see why some of the Army Vets would scoff at the notion of receiving a Purple Heart for this type of injury.

I am sure that many of the medals were deserved but there was some medal inflation in Vietnam.

Brinkley discussed the medal inflation in this Washington Post article:

Grant Hibbard, Kerry's commanding officer, questioned the injury after Kerry first put in for the medal. Now 69 and living in Florida, Hibbard recently told reporters for the Boston Globe and USA Today that Kerry had only "a scratch" on his forearm and that Hibbard had no evidence that Kerry was under enemy fire when he was injured. In an interview with The Post, Hibbard stood by his remarks but declined to elaborate on them.

In an interview, Brinkley said Kerry "was not medal-hunting." In Vietnam, the historian said, there was "historical medal inflation," to keep soldiers engaged in the war. "That was not John Kerry's fault," he said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A34941-2004Apr22_3.html
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In an interview, Brinkley said Kerry "was not medal-hunting." In Vietnam, the historian said, there was "historical medal inflation," to keep soldiers engaged in the war.

I'm sure that there were cases of medal inflation, but the day I take Brinkley's word for ANYTHING is the day hell freezes solid. Wink
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all3, I was Army, not a Swiftee. However, to label an entire group as overmedalled is a bit much, to me. Kerry is a prime example of medal hunting, but that doesn't mean all the Swiftees were.

From what I've seen, most of them earned what medals they got, the hard way.

I was in helicopters and it wasn't unheard of for some guys to be awarded 20 or more Air Medals. Could someone accuse them of also being overmedalled?

I think it should be looked at individually.
ccr
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The medal inflation charge (as applied to a group) is more than just a bit crass (of course, so is a politician who uses any combat award in their campaign).

http://www.learnthat.com/quiz/
all3
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
all3, I was Army, not a Swiftee. However, to label an entire group as overmedalled is a bit much, to me. Kerry is a prime example of medal hunting, but that doesn't mean all the Swiftees were.

From what I've seen, most of them earned what medals they got, the hard way.

I was in helicopters and it wasn't unheard of for some guys to be awarded 20 or more Air Medals. Could someone accuse them of also being overmedalled?

I think it should be looked at individually.

Many of the SwiftVets deserved their medals but it seems that there was a fair amount of 'medal inflation' from the Navy in Vietnam.

I wasn't even born when Kerry was in Vietnam, this is just the sense I get from talking to Army Vets like you and reading accounts of the Vietnam War.

Last edited by all3 on Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:49 am; edited 1 time in total
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the Swift Boats were involved in a lot heavier fighting than many of us Army types saw, maybe they related some jealousy to you, I don't know. That's why I say to look at medal awards iindividually.
cgc
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Handing out medals Reply with quote

I am a Swift Boat Veteran, I also was In An Toi, Coastal Division 11 in 1969, the fact that you see so many medals is because of all the action in the area of operations. Were some medals undeserved? You will have to ask the person who wears them. Do not paint those of us whom came home with purple hearts and bronze stars, etc. with the same brush as J Kerry. I can tell you this, if over two hundred of my fellow swift boat veterans are willing to go on TV and other media and make these claims about Kerry, all the way from a 3rd class to an Admiral, you can bank on it being truthful. I personaly don't give a rat's ass if this guy (Kerry) has 10 purple hearts, 11 silver stars, and four medal of honor. His behaviour and spoken words, his accusations of war crimes, and criminal behaviour on the part of those of us who pulled a full tour and completed our duty, his dishonor of our dead and gravely wounded by his comments in 1971, make him unfit to serve as the commander in chief of the armed forces. If any swift boat crews commited any war crimes it would of been public knowledge, we was a very small organization, it did't happen. I served from September 1968 until September 1969, the same timeframe as Kerry's four month tour, He's lying about war crimes, and Cambodia, and alot of other crap. Do you believe over two hundred men are all lying?

CGC 68-69 An Toi , Danang Swift Boat Crew 6C
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgc.

email that to the hack at the Washington Post! Laughing
all3
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medal inflation seems to be a current topic in the War in Iraq too.

'Medals inflation?'

More than 69,000 awards and other honors have been handed out by the Air Force for the Iraq war, according to Air Force Capt. Richard Johnson. The list also includes four Air Force Crosses, one step below the Medal of Honor, plus 21 Silver Stars and over 1,900 Bronze Stars.

The Army trails just behind with 40,000 medals issued and approved, including 111 Silver Stars and more than 13,000 Bronze Stars.

“It’s absolutely outrageous,” says retired Army Col. David Hackworth, who styles himself as the most decorated soldier in U.S. military history as well as the unofficial watchdog of military heraldry.

“In World War II, when I saw a Distinguished Flying Cross, that meant the guy had made 25 or 30 missions over dangerous places like Hamburg or Berlin,” he says. “Those places sometimes had 50 percent casualty rates.

“Now, they give medals out to guys who fly bombers invisible to radar whose bombs miss Saddam and kill civilians in a restaurant. It’s an outrage.” The Air Force awarded Distinguished Flying Crosses to the crew of a B-2B bomber that destroyed a Baghdad restaurant last April thought to contain Saddam Hussein. Saddam was not there, but 16 civilians, including an infant, died in the attack.

Hackworth, who fought in World War II, Korea and Vietnam – and appears ready to go to Iraq at any moment – has made his share of enemies over the years. His years of combat in Vietnam turned him into a scathing critic of the U.S. military’s brass and won him a reputation for shooting from the hip. In 1996, he threatened to expose then-Chief of Naval Operations Mike Boorda for wearing decorations he did not win. Boorda killed himself.

But Hackworth's concerns are shared by more conventional heroes.

Col. Jack Jacobs, who received the nation’s highest medal, the Medal of Honor, during his Vietnam years, agrees with some of the criticism.

“It’s an age old problem with the Army and the Air Force, too,” he says. “The authority to approve most awards is at a very low level, and that has a tendency to increase their frequency. Plus, there’s always a political motive, or component, to giving out awards, to keep morale high and create a positive story for the home front.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4243092/
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all3 wrote:
“It’s absolutely outrageous,” says retired Army Col. David Hackworth, who styles himself as the most decorated soldier in U.S. military history as well as the unofficial watchdog of military heraldry.

“In World War II, when I saw a Distinguished Flying Cross, that meant the guy had made 25 or 30 missions over dangerous places like Hamburg or Berlin,” he says. “Those places sometimes had 50 percent casualty rates.

“Now, they give medals out to guys who fly bombers invisible to radar whose bombs miss Saddam and kill civilians in a restaurant. It’s an outrage.”

Yeah, but 'Hack' has said the same about Vietnam. Ever since I learned of his connection to Seymour Hersh and the Abu Graib CDs, I've reconsidered my opinion of Hackworth. Something doesn't quite add up with that guy. It doesn't seem as if he has the best interest of those who serve in mind. If his were just a complaint with over-regulation and even wartime bureaucracy and indifferent commanders, that would be one thing. But his attacks have been on those doing their duty, who refused to comply with Graner/et al in the prison, and who were fairly awarded medals in Vietnam, unlike a Kerry.
hanna
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a list a couple of days ago. I think it was on Kerry's web site. Anyway it was a list of all the medal winners in Coastal Division 11. Kerry got the ONLY silver star....there were several, but maybe 10% bronze star winners, one and probably 50% of the unit won a purple heart, BUT, there was only ONE other person who won 3 and he was there a whole lot longer than Kerry was.

During the time Kerry was on PCF94, he was awarded 2 PH, the Silver and the Bronze. He was only commander of the 94 boat for less than 6 weeks. The time period which missions were actually being run were less than that.
kmudd
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Kerry was turned down for a medal by his commander and some how he went around the system and got the medal anyway. That is slighty different than the commander okaying too many medals for whatever reason. Kerry touts that he is a hero but most heros wouldn't claim scratches as wounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: