SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question for Jim Rassman

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crusher
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Question for Jim Rassman Reply with quote

From www.crushkerry.com:

Question for Rassmann Clearly Jim Rassmann's account of being under fire when he was in the water differs from that of the Swift Boat Vets. But after reading this statment from Swift Boat Vet Van O'Dell it is possible that what Rassmann thought was enemy fire was really the suppression fire laid down by all the Swiftboats? Given O'Dell's description of the "black billowing smoke" from the blown up swiftboat, and Rassmann's understandable disorientation from having been blown out of a ship, it seems possible he could have been mistaken.

Having never been in combat, would this be a possible scenario? And I've looked and been unable to find out whether or not the SBVT or anyone on the boards has given an explanation as to why Rassman's account and those of the SBVT's are different. I think the above might be an explanation.

Am I way off base?
crusher
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistake in the post. It should ask "is it possible what Rassmann thought was enemy fire was actually the suppression fire laid down by all the Swiftboats?" instead of "it is....
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Question... Reply with quote

I too, was not there. However, I reached precisely the same conclusion shortly after studying all this stuff. No other scenario makes sense if Rassman believes he is being truthful. I cannot imagine the conditions but based on all I've read about Rassman, it seems possible that he simply did not know what boat he was on because it did not matter to him. Further, when he said he was pitched from the boat by an exploading mine, two scenarios seem possible. First, he could have heard the mine explode and almost immediately been pitched from Kerry's boat when the 94 boat fled. Secondly, he might actually have been on the 3 Boat and was tossed in the water. Either way he would have been last to be picked up because of his training to avoid fire by diving.
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Key point --- yes it is possible that Rassman confused supression fire for enemy fire --- trouble is that Kerry team & Rassman have so painted themselves into this corner of "enemy fire" and Kerry the hero where can they go --- this is the story that they have based the entire Kerry resume upon. -- nothing else no his VVAW activity, not his senate career ---

his entire qualifications for POTUS is based upon pulling Rassman out of the water (after he dumped him into the water)
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it interesting that you are concerned with trying to find a way that Rassman misunderstood his situation. If the tables were turned and Rassman was supporting a Republican candidate, the left would be accusing him of a vast-right wing conspiracy.
crusher
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jtaylor you make a valid point about Kerrry/Rassman boxing themselves in w/ the "enemy fire" statement. We all know Kerry's a liar, the thing that needs to be done to get the media to pay attention is show how it' s possible Rassmann may be wrong. He goes on all the shows to defend Kerry, yet I don't think anyone's asked him whether or not this scenario was possible.

If he says "No", then the next question is "how do you know it's not possible". Given the specifics of the situation I don't think he could say it's not possible he was mistaken. Well, he could, but then his credibility is shot. If he says "yes" then Kerry is out on an island.
llano
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rassman has stated that fell in he dove to the bottom of the river to avoid other boats, thereafter he only came up for air because of the enemy fire. I'd guess that out of 5 minutes he would have been above water some 10-15 seconds. While most of the witnesses were on their boats.
stealthy
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm less inclined to believe him the more he's happy to be used. He needs to answer some questions. Wink

Mr. KERRY. Mr. President, I ask unanimous consent to have printed in the Record the text of the eulogy I gave for my friend, Thomas M. Belodeau, on November 10, 1997.

"There was the time we were carrying Special Forces up a river and a mine exploded under our boat sending it 2 feet into the air. We were receiving incoming rocket and small arms fire and Tommy was returning fire with his M-60 machine gun when it literally broke apart in his hands. He was left holding the pieces unable to fire back while one of the Green Berets walked along the edge of the boat to get Tommy another M-60. As he was doing so, the boat made a high speed turn to starboard and the Green Beret kept going--straight into the river. The entire time while the boat went back to get the Green Beret, Tommy was without a machine gun or a weapon of any kind, but all the time he was hurling the greatest single string of Lowell-Chelmsford curses ever heard at the Viet Cong. He literally had swear words with tracers on them!"

Congressional Record: January 28, 1998 (Senate) Page S186-S187

Here Kerry stated he wasn't "blown" out of the water and admits he was fleeing.

BTW- Didn't people talk to each other about what had just happened?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: