SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In Harms Way Again, Thank You

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Thanks Swiftees and POWs!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vet_supporter
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: In Harms Way Again, Thank You Reply with quote

I want to thank all the veterans who have once again, put themselves in harms way to get the truth out.

I came from an apolitical family but as soon as I learned to read, I was interested in the news. Consequently, I became real familiar with how the TV news worked to smear our troops and promote the people who denounced them. CBS was the worst. They made our troops look awful and I knew it was not true.

The local newspaper wasn't as bad. I was 15 in '67. At the holiday season between Thanksgiving and Christmas, the local paper ran a large article about all the servicemen involved in the war and encouraged people to send them holiday greetings. I thought this was a good idea and I did so.

A couple of weeks later, I got a letter back from a local soldier. I guess the paper tried to connect the messages from the soldiers home towns. This man was in the hospital recovering from wounds. We corresponded for a number of months.

This man loved his country. He was in the hospital with wounds and was going back to combat as soon as he was healed. The thing that bothered him was how he thought the people of America had turned against them. This hurt him and he fellow servicemen more than his injuries.

The thing that he told me, that I will always remember is that one of his friends, a combat veteran, returned to the States and was MURDERED by an anti-war protester.

I tried to tell this brave man that the majority of people did not feel this way. That we really didn't believe what the news was saying. But I was only 15. He would just tell me that he hoped it would be over before I was old enough to go. It wasn't but I wasn't called.

After a few months, I didn't get a reply from my last letter. Being young, I didn't know really how to follow up to see what happened.

Thank you for standing strong and getting the truth out. I am alerting everyone I can to your efforts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Thanks Swiftees and POWs! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: