SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Matthews operating without a Book
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lrb111
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Matthews operating without a Book Reply with quote

Michelle Maulkin saying on Rush today, that after Matthews threw her off the show, told his aides to find a copy of the book.
The only one in the house was her copy, in her dressing room, and they took that one.

So, the rabid lap dog for kerry has been making accusations and slander Without any knowledge of what the guests have even been referring to...

I guess the upside is at least one leftist will read it. Twisted Evil

what a dirtbag..
gkdechow
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We only hope. I personally have always liked Chris Mathews and would like to think he will read it w/ an open mind and be convinced. He was trying to get her to say Kerry shot himself on purpose. I was hopeing that she'd say "Either that or he shot himself accidentally because he was such a clutz". But alas, she missed the opening.

George
hiyall
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:20 am    Post subject: email that I sent to Mr. Matthews as soon as I saw that show Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Matthews:

I am just curious how you made the leap from "self-inflicted" to "shot himself on purpose to get an award".

You hammered Ms. Malkin quite severly and I believe that she clearly stated that she was on your show to talk about her book, not the "Unfit for Command" book.

I have read the "Unfit for Command" book, but I have no first hand eyewitness testimony to determine what the truth is here.

Let me make some observations and propose an alternate premise to your leap to "shot himself on purpose".

1) The book states that the wound was self-inflicted when Lt. Kerry fired a grenade short and close by his position and was wounded when it struck a rock and exploded. I interpret that the firing was either purposeful or possibly even accidental due to excitement from the combat situation. This type of accidental firing is not that uncommon when one's adrenal glands begin their magic. The issue then becomes how would you describe being wounded not from enemy fire, but rather from a round that you fired yourself whether it was a mistake or accident?

The issue for me is what happened next. What happened next is that Lt. Kerry somehow was recommended for a medal and no one in his command states that they were the nominee. It is possible that Lt. Kerry embellished the scenario such that the round that Lt. Kerry fired (either accidentally or mistakenly or even purposely intending not to fire close to his position) became enemy fire and then wrote up his own medal recommendation.

If there indeed was no enemy fire, then the medal that was awarded is fraudulent and whomever submitted the resulting fraudulent reports that caused the medal to be awarded committed fraud. If Lt. Kerry did this, then he had to have done it with intent and should be an insight into his character. Likewise, if indeed, there was enemy fire, then Lt. Kerry should be given all the honor and respect that the medal represents.

To allow your emotion to take over and attack Ms. Malkin as you did on air is truly sad and way out of line in my opinion. It was ambush journalism at its worst, especially since she appeared to want to talk about her book and not want to talk about "Unfit for Command" as she stated that she had only read the book.

2) There are a couple of incidents that Senator Kerry's supporters have already back pedaled on:

a) Christmas in Cambodia

b) Attendance at Anti-War meetings where violent means were discussed

c) Stating that he was eyewitness to many war atrocities committed by himself and those he served with and being ordered to do those atrocities by his chain of command and with full knowledge of his chain of command in front of the Fulbright Senate Committee.

Each of these falsehoods has undermined Senator Kerry's credibility in my opinion.

On the other hand, the book "Unfit for Command" is pretty well documented and provides testimony from a great number of soldiers that fought near by and/or were in his direct chain of command. Their testimony covered most of the time that Lt. Kerry was serving in country. It depicted Lt. Kerry's character over time in a very consistent manner. This does not make it true, however. But it certainly bears some weight and has not really been discredited like the above three instances of Senator Kerry's versions above.

I read the Washington Post article that Mr. Dobbs recently wrote. I cannot rule out the possiblity that the words on Mr. Thurnow (sp)'s citation were not Lt. Kerry's words in actuality. Mr. Thurnow has stated very emphatically that he did not submit any paperwork for a citation.

Should Senator Kerry and the Swiftboat Vets all submit Form 180 to release all of their medical records, then an objective (hopefully) investigation could be conducted to determine if Lt. Kerry was submitting his own reports and justification for his awards or if it was just a normal result of his duty.

In any event, I cannot think of a more important issue than a President's or would-be President's character.

No matter what the ideological positions that one takes, it is ultimately one's character that determines how much trust, power and responsibility that one should be given.

Let me suggest that you put your energies into investigating the matter and not ambushing guests who offer no real expertise on the matter and who are on your show for an entirely different subject.

It seems that this is a much more honorable and responsible way to conduct your show.
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiyall,

Great letter.

One little correction. It's Thurlow rather than Thurnow.
Dafydd
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: My apologies Reply with quote

I didn't notice this topic here, so I started a new one up above, "Michelle Malkin's Self-Inflicted Wound."

My thesis -- after just watching the replay of that section of the segment on Hardball a few moments ago -- was that Malkin was the one who screwed up, alas.

When Matthews demanded whether she was claiming (or the book claimed) that Kerry's wounds were intentionally self-inflicted, she should have just answered the way O'Neill did on the Jim Lehrer News Hour: no, two of his wounds were unintentionally self-inflicted in the absence of enemy fire, which means they did not qualify for a Purple Heart.

Instead, she fumfahed around and finally blurted out that the book claimed they were intentionally self-inflicted, which of course it does not.

I was not impressed with her appearance... sorry!
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted the duplicate topic, dafydd.

You've made three posts about how abysmally you believe Michelle Malkin performed.

If you had Chris Matthews in your face asking you rapid-fire questions about which things that you weren't completely conversant, wouldn't you stumble?

Chris Matthews almost had a stroke. Twisted Evil

Michelle stayed pretty cool, despite not being able to get a word in edgewise.

Chrissie had to take the day off today - first he couldn't throw Thurlow off of his game and then he was done in by a GIRL, one he had repeatedly derided before the show as being too young to be on his show.

Pretty good day's work. Wink
Frenchconnection
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it is just hilarious!

First Carville goes nuts on Crossfire, and now Chris Mathews goes nuts on Hardball (I thought that she did okay, considering). You guys are getting to them. Keep up the good work!

My theory is that they haven't been able to debunk the true accounts of SVFT, so last resort is for Kerry to file against the FEC. What a pansy! Bush sat there for a year taking a beating from the presidential hopefuls and the 527s, and said nothing. Kerry gets one on his glass jaw and goes crying to the FEC.

Sheesh! A potential CIC that can't fight for himself. *shivers*
Sun Tzu
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthews was absent Friday...the temp said he would be back Monday. Perhaps, he took the time off to read the book? Smile

To the best of my knowledge Malkin was on Hardball to promote her new book...she was asked at the very last minute (literally) to sit-in on the Swiftvets segment...and she was in the middle of reading the book. So, what's your point Dafy?
Redview
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Matthews Reply with quote

Well he is probably finally reading the book (he must have been afraid to read in the first place), and sitting in the corner of his room with his thumb in his mouth and his blanky.

It is illogical to think a man with his staff, could not, find, buy, or borrow this book to read. He could hire some underling to read the blasted thing to him while he ate his lunch, or whatever.

He was AFRAID to look, nothing else make any sense.
I wonder who he bet that Kerry would win, and how much he has
riding on the bet.
hiyall
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye Thurlow it is. I wrote the letter from memory and had missed the first part of the Matthews show when I think there was an interview with Mr. Thurlow. I sent the email before the Hardball show completed and I apologize to Mr. Thurlow for the spelling gaff.

It would be admirable if the media talking heads did some research and actually read the book before embarking on such a discourse. Even better, if they had the eyewitnesses on to grill and required all participants to read the book before commenting on it.

In my opinion, I am not an expert even after reading the book. I have no first hand knowledge of anything regarding Senator Kerry. The only experts in this area are the Swift Vets and Senator Kerry and those Vets that support him who served on his boat. That is who should be interviewed and allowed to debate.
lrb111
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My apologies Reply with quote

Dafydd wrote:

When Matthews demanded whether she was claiming (or the book claimed) that Kerry's wounds were intentionally self-inflicted, she should have just answered the way O'Neill did on the Jim Lehrer News Hour: no, two of his wounds were unintentionally self-inflicted in the absence of enemy fire, which means they did not qualify for a Purple Heart.

Instead, she fumfahed around and finally blurted out that the book claimed they were intentionally self-inflicted, which of course it does not.

I was not impressed with her appearance... sorry!

Well, straight up the right anser for the Situation, is Ms Malkin should not have been treated as an expert byCM. But, since he had not read the book, he had no basis to ask questions of her either.
I really doubt that she thought she was going to be treated as an expert witness, in such a foreign topic to her.

Bottom line, a few more people will read the book, and that's good.
gkdechow
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to Hiyall

Your letter is a beautiful thing to behold. It reminded me of a day several summers ago when I was driving and a guy cut me off. I pulled up beside him and ranted and raved at him for a couple of minutes. He turned to me and said in a very calm normal and sensere voice "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't see you. It made me feel all of about 2 inches high and I have never forgotten it to this day.

Thanks again for your letter.
Sue Bob
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Instead, she fumfahed around and finally blurted out that the book claimed they were intentionally self-inflicted, which of course it does not

Where did you come up with that? That is what Matthews said--not Michelle.

According to her, she never said that the wounds were self-inflicted intentionally.

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/000418.htm
Sue Bob
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Instead, she fumfahed around and finally blurted out that the book claimed they were intentionally self-inflicted, which of course it does not

Where did you come up with that? That is what Matthews said--not Michelle.

According to her, she never said that the wounds were self-inflicted intentionally.

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/000418.htm
Dafydd
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Well actually.... Reply with quote

Warning! Danger!

Fair warning: I can be a cold-blooded, calculating, typical "Spockian," with logic but without normal human emotions (and my posts will usually be too long)... but I never lose sight of the most important goal -- which at the moment is keeping John Kerry out of the Oval Office.

Quote:
If you had Chris Matthews in your face asking you rapid-fire questions about which things that you weren't completely conversant, wouldn't you stumble?

Well actually, no, I wouldn't. I've been in similar situations many times, usually as the one anti-Leftist in a vast sea of Stalinism Shocked , and I always obey standing order #1: never let the bad guys take control of the conversation.

Anybody Not Of the Left who debates or even expresses his opinion in public (or on TV or radio) has to assume he'll receive the Matthews treatment: attacks ranging from snide and sarcastic to hysterical, chair-jumping incoherence. You also must expect the Carville approach, the "wall of words" technique, where the other guy literally never stops talking so nobody can hear your points. It's inevitable; it's the only way the Left can "argue."

I've been in those situations many times, as a panelist at many conventions debating some very controversial topics (such as 1950s McCarthyism, which I completely support Cool ) . And much as I love Michelle's columns, and given that she thought she was going to be asked about her own book, still and all, she should have responded the way John O'Neill did: he calmly answered the question from an unusually angry Jim Lehrer and popped him like a balloon.

Those of us on the Right have to be letter perfect and ready for anything. If Lanny Davis is on Hairball and can't answer a question, Matthews-the-former-Carter-speechwriter will feed him the answer in a follow-up. But a guest on the Right will not get any help at all, and Matthews will go for blood. It's unfair, but it's reality.

One of the best of our guys is Newt Gingrich; I've never seen him thrown for even a second, not by Chris Matthews, not by Alan Colmes. Anyone from our side contemplating a TV or radio gig on a topic that will get the Left frothy should (a) watch that Michelle Malkin interview to see what not to do, then (b) watch Newt (or John O'Neill, or Don Rumsfeld) to see how to handle the inevitable debate-stifling tactic that will come our way.

Think of it as a duty: be prepared!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: