SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

McCain's nastiness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magliano
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: McCain's nastiness Reply with quote

It has taken me a while to fully absorb the nastiness of John McCain's comments about the Swift vets. The only person we know for sure was dishonest and dishonorable was John Kerry. McCain's comments were nothing less than a slander of all veterans who served honorably and are now trying to set the record straight about someone they knew very well and wants to become Commander in Chief. McCain has no standing criticizing the Swift vets when he was no where near Kerry or the Swift boat units in Vietnam. McCain is beginning to look like a great example of how being in Washington to long corrupts ones values and viewpoint.

If I lived in Arizona, there is no way I would vote for this guy, POW or not. He is a phony whose ego has been pumped up by Chris Matthews, Tim Russert and the other media sychophants who sniff around him. At the very least, his office should be swamped with letters expressing our disgust with his ridiculous comments.
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: McCain's nastiness Reply with quote

magliano wrote:
John McCain's comments

This site really isn't about John McCain - it's about John KERRY.

We ought to try and stay on target!
magliano
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: McCain Reply with quote

Air_vet,

I respect your opinion but could not disagree with it more. This is just as much about the credibility of the Swift boat vets as it is about John Kerry's. When a person, especially a high profile politician, makes an ad hominem attack on the Swift boat vets(accusing them of being dishonest and dishonorable) without factual foundation, that person should be open to discussion even if it is John McCain. To do otherwise would be to give tacit consent to these kinds of attacks.
AiredaleUSN
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: McCain Reply with quote

magliano wrote:
Air_vet,

I respect your opinion but could not disagree with it more. This is just as much about the credibility of the Swift boat vets as it is about John Kerry's. When a person, especially a high profile politician, makes an ad hominem attack on the Swift boat vets(accusing them of being dishonest and dishonorable) without factual foundation, that person should be open to discussion even if it is John McCain. To do otherwise would be to give tacit consent to these kinds of attacks.

The agenda of any vet supporting Kerry should be suspect. This includes McCain and Bush.
magliano
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Veterans supporting Kerry suspect Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more. Sometimes I think Bush is operating under the illusion that he will win this election by being the nice guy. His comment that Kerry served admirably was not as hateful but almost as ridiculous as McCain's. How would he know? For a baseball guy he should take heed of what Leo Durocher once said, "Nice guys finish last."
Truegrit
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply to Magliano on McCain Reply with quote

Magliano,

Right on! I've sent an email to McCain complaining about his unfairness. I simply don't understand his position. He was in the Hanoi Hilton with other POWs who were suspended by their arms, in horrible pain, until they came forward with "war crimes" confessions. How he can possibly accuse the Swifties of dishonorable behavior, in mobilizing Americans to wake up to just who Kerry is -- and the facts of his betrayal -- I don't get it. I would never vote for him, in Arizona or on the national stage. Keep the protest letters from Vets to McCain going!
jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: McCain's nastiness Reply with quote

magliano wrote:
It has taken me a while to fully absorb the nastiness of John McCain's comments about the Swift vets. The only person we know for sure was dishonest and dishonorable was John Kerry. McCain's comments were nothing less than a slander of all veterans who served honorably and are now trying to set the record straight about someone they knew very well and wants to become Commander in Chief. McCain has no standing criticizing the Swift vets when he was no where near Kerry or the Swift boat units in Vietnam. McCain is beginning to look like a great example of how being in Washington to long corrupts ones values and viewpoint.

If I lived in Arizona, there is no way I would vote for this guy, POW or not. He is a phony whose ego has been pumped up by Chris Matthews, Tim Russert and the other media sychophants who sniff around him. At the very least, his office should be swamped with letters expressing our disgust with his ridiculous comments.

I believe McCain blames his failure to get the 2000 presidential nomination on what he considered unfair personal attacks on him. I didn't follow the Republican nomination fight that closely, but I think it's far more likely that Bush's success was more the result of voter's feelings about his father and inheritance of his father's supporters and organization. Personal attacks usually only work when a candidate fails to present an effective positive image to offset the attacks.

Personal attacks on presidential candidates are nothing new nor are they unAmerican. Censorship of those criticizing candidates(like Kerry is attempting to do) is what is unAmerican.
"That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoe making and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poor house."
-- Mark Twain
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: