SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John O'Neill's WSJ Op-Ed piece: Kerry Unfit to be President
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
all3
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: John O'Neill's WSJ Op-Ed piece: Kerry Unfit to be President Reply with quote

Unfit for Office
I was on Mr. Kerry's boat in Vietnam. He doesn't deserve to be commander in chief.

HOUSTON--In 1971, I debated John Kerry, then a national spokesman for the Vietnam Veterans Against the War, for 90 minutes on "The Dick Cavett Show." The key issue in that debate was Mr. Kerry's claim that American troops were committing war crimes in Vietnam "on a day-to-day basis with the full awareness of officers at all levels of command." Now, as Sen. Kerry emerges as the presumptive Democratic nominee for the presidency, I've chosen to re-enter the fray.

Like John Kerry, I served in Vietnam as a Swift Boat commander. Ironically, John Kerry and I served much of our time, a full 12 months in my case and a controversial four months in his, commanding the exact same six-man boat, PCF-94, which I took over after he requested early departure. Despite our shared experience, I still believe what I believed 33 years ago--that John Kerry slandered America's military by inventing or repeating grossly exaggerated claims of atrocities and war crimes in order to advance his own political career as an antiwar activist. His misrepresentations played a significant role in creating the negative and false image of Vietnam vets that has persisted for over three decades.

Neither I, nor any man I served with, ever committed any atrocity or war crime in Vietnam. The opposite was the truth. Rather than use excessive force, we suffered casualty after casualty because we chose to refrain from firing rather than risk injuring civilians. More than once, I saw friends die in areas we entered with loudspeakers rather than guns. John Kerry's accusations then and now were an injustice that struck at the soul of anyone who served there.

During my 1971 televised debate with John Kerry, I accused him of lying. I urged him to come forth with affidavits from the soldiers who had claimed to have committed or witnessed atrocities. To date no such affidavits have been filed. Recently, Sen. Kerry has attempted to reframe his comments as youthful or "over the top." Yet always there has been a calculated coolness to the way he has sought to destroy the record of our honorable service in the interest of promoting his political ambitions of the moment.

John Kennedy's book, "Profiles in Courage," and Dwight Eisenhower's "Crusade in Europe" inspired generations. Not so John Kerry, who has suppressed his book, "The New Soldier," prohibiting its reprinting. There is a clear reason for this. The book repeats John Kerry's insults to the American military, beginning with its front-cover image of the American flag being carried upside down by a band of bearded renegades in uniform--a clear slap at the brave Marines in their combat gear who raised our flag at Iwo Jima. Allow me the reprint rights to your book, Sen. Kerry, and I will make sure copies of "The New Soldier" are available in bookstores throughout America.

Vietnam was a long time ago. Why does it matter today? Since the days of the Roman Empire, the concept of military loyalty up and down the chain of command has been indispensable. The commander's loyalty to the troops is the price a commander pays for the loyalty of the troops in return. How can a man be commander in chief who for over 30 years has accused his "Band of Brothers," as well as himself, of being war criminals? On a practical basis, John Kerry's breach of loyalty is a prescription of disaster for our armed forces.

John Kerry's recent admissions caused me to realize that I was most likely in Vietnam dodging enemy rockets on the very day he met in Paris with Madame Binh, the representative of the Viet Cong to the Paris Peace Conference. John Kerry returned to the U.S. to become a national spokesperson for the Vietnam Veterans Against the War, a radical fringe of the antiwar movement, an organization set upon propagating the myth of war crimes through demonstrably false assertions. Who was the last American POW to die languishing in a North Vietnamese prison forced to listen to the recorded voice of John Kerry disgracing their service by his dishonest testimony before the Senate?

Since 1971, I have refused many offers from John Kerry's political opponents to speak out against him. My reluctance to become involved once again in politics is outweighed now by my profound conviction that John Kerry is simply not fit to be America's commander in chief. Nobody has recruited me to come forward. My decision is the inevitable result of my own personal beliefs and life experience.

Today, America is engaged in a new war, against the militant Islamist terrorists who attacked us on our own soil. Reasonable people may differ about how best to proceed, but I'm sure of one thing--John Kerry is the wrong man to put in charge.

Mr. O'Neill served in Coastal Division 11 in 1969-70, winning two Bronze Stars and additional decorations for his service in Vietnam.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110005036
Real_Patriot
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: John O'Neill's WSJ Op-Ed piece: Kerry Unfit to be Presid Reply with quote

all3 wrote:
Unfit for Office
I was on Mr. Kerry's boat in Vietnam. He doesn't deserve to be commander in chief.

Is this quote really attributed to O'Neill? Perhaps he should state for the record whether he was actually on Kerry's boat, or only took over command of it after Kerry left.

In fact, let's hear a yes or no on whether O'Neill ever actually served with Kerry at all. The article certainly implies it but there are no facts there to back it up.
all3
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: John O'Neill's WSJ Op-Ed piece: Kerry Unfit to be Presid Reply with quote

They never served together but they did serve in the same unit.
Ex-Military Capitalist
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: Kerry is more unfit to lead the Miltary than Clinton was Reply with quote

At least Clinton honestly didn't care for the Military, and Hillary despised them. They didn't hide it. Hillary HATED men in uniform, and ordered Full bird colonels to serve them coffee.

At the DNC convention, that year, the military honor guard was spit upon.

Kerry is pretending, Clinton family demonstrated it.

As much as I loath hillary, Kerry is pretending, and will be worse. If that is possible.

Hanoi Jane buddy in charge of the Military. Good God.
reasonable
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pull quote was a bad job of editting. O'Neill never said "I was on Mr. Kerry's boat in Vietnam."
proud_liberal
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John O'Neill wrote:

"During my 1971 televised debate with John Kerry, I accused him of lying. I urged him to come forth with affidavits from the soldiers who had claimed to have committed or witnessed atrocities. "

I'd say that the recent incidents in Iraq are evidence that under frustrating, foreign conditions, soldiers are apt to act in the most "abhorrent" of ways (to quote Bush). If the events at My Lai ( http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/vietnam/trenches/mylai.html ) aren't documentation evidence enough that atrocities occurred in Vietnam, what would convince you?

It's curious that you can contend that speaking out against an ill-conceived war -- and all the terrible things that came with the war -- can be twisted into a tidy little phrase of "unfit for office".

Sydney J. Harris wrote: "Patriotism is proud of a country's virtues and eager to correct its deficiencies; it also acknowledges the legitimate patriotism of other countries, with their own specific virtues. The pride of nationalism, however, trumpets its country's virtues and denies its deficiencies, while it is contemptuous toward the virtues of other countries. It wants to be, and proclaims itself to be, "the greatest," but greatness is not required of a country; only goodness is."
rbshirley
Founder

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

proud_liberal wrote:

proud_liberal wrote:

It's curious that you can contend that speaking out against an ill-
conceived war -- and all the terrible things that came with the war
-- can be twisted into a tidy little phrase of "unfit for office".

Sydney J. Harris wrote: "Patriotism is proud of a country's virtues and
eager to correct its deficiencies; it also acknowledges the legitimate
patriotism of other countries, with their own specific virtues. The pride of
nationalism, however, trumpets its country's virtues and denies its
deficiencies, while it is contemptuous toward the virtues of other
countries. It wants to be, and proclaims itself to be, "the greatest," but
greatness is not required of a country; only goodness is."

I am sure that Sydney J. Harris would agree that "truth" would be high
on the list virtues associated with patriotism. Disgracing an entire group
of millions of Americans with the broad brush of "war criminal" based on
the unsubstantiated (and rehearsed) rantings of a few hardly qualifies as
"eager to correct deficiencies." (Winter Soldier, financed by Jane Fonda)

And does "acknowledges the legitimate patriotism of other countries"
include meeting with North Vienam negotiators (legislated adversaries
of the US), while still under the terms of his military obligation, and then
actively advocating that same adversaries terms for surrender? (See
Kerry's testimony before the Armed Services Committee, April 22 1971)

The man will say anything and do anything to silence contrary opinion to
his "Hollywood Versus History" approach to furthering his political career.

He did it to the Swift Boat discussion group and he is trying (and so far
succeeding) to do the same with Swift Boat Veterans for Truth.

These FACTS are what makes the man "unfit to be Commander-in-Chief"
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

proud_liberal wrote:
It's curious that you can contend that speaking out against an ill-conceived war -- and all the terrible things that came with the war -- can be twisted into a tidy little phrase of "unfit for office".

Well, you've just proved that you've missed the point, entirely.

Speaking out against the war was not the issue.

Slandering an entire generation of solders was part of the issue.

Lying and engineering the WSI into gathering more lies and frauds was part of the issue.

Field-maneuvering black theatre such as Operations Dewey Canyon or RAW was part of the issue.

Helping to make it acceptable to shun, impugn or slander all Vietnam vets as drug-crazed homicidal maniacs with a hair-trigger temper was part of the issue.

For you to twist it into a simple matter of "speaking out against the war" is disingenuous at best.
eecee
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Kerry is more unfit to lead the Miltary than Clinton was Reply with quote

Amazing how much bad information can be squeezed into one post.

I will correct you on one thing, however. One cannot "put himself in" for a Purple Heart. Only a commanding officer can do so.
all3
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reasonable wrote:
The pull quote was a bad job of editting. O'Neill never said "I was on Mr. Kerry's boat in Vietnam."

I agree but they did serve in the same unit so he was an excellent choice to challenge Kerry's claims of atrocities on the Dick Cavett Show.
sparky
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...although we now see O'Neill's credibility weakened when he used phrasing suggestive of his having served on the same boat at the same time as Kerry. Did he literally say this? No. He used language deliberately suggestive of it.

This isn't surprising considering how the GOP is worried that Kerry's actual crewmates speak so highly of him. They're probably tickled to find a Kerry critic who can say he "served on the same boat" as Kerry while hoping that the public doesn't catch the sophistry.
all3
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky wrote:
...although we now see O'Neill's credibility weakened when he used phrasing suggestive of his having served on the same boat at the same time as Kerry. Did he literally say this? No. He used language deliberately suggestive of it.

This isn't surprising considering how the GOP is worried that Kerry's actual crewmates speak so highly of him. They're probably tickled to find a Kerry critic who can say he "served on the same boat" as Kerry while hoping that the public doesn't catch the sophistry.

O'Neill never says that they served together. He took over the same boat after Kerry left Vietnam after 4 months using the 3 Purple Hearts loophole.

"Like John Kerry, I served in Vietnam as a Swift Boat commander. Ironically, John Kerry and I served much of our time, a full 12 months in my case and a controversial four months in his, commanding the exact same six-man boat, PCF-94, which I took over after he requested early departure."
sparky
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, you really have to read closely to realize they never met until back in the US.

Rather than saying, "I replaced Kerry and served after him on that same boat," he comes up with this cryptic babble:

Quote:
Ironically, John Kerry and I served much of our time, a full 12 months in my case and a controversial four months in his, commanding the exact same six-man boat, PCF-94, which I took over after he requested early departure."

I think the manipulative phrasing is pinned down with "much of our time" and "exact same boat." He's trying to make the average person conclude that those on that boat with Kerry couldn't stand him.

But we all know better, don't we?
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky wrote:
Man, you really have to read closely to realize they never met until back in the US.

LOL! Nice try! Only if your comprehension level is low.

Quote:
Ironically, John Kerry and I served much of our time, a full 12 months in my case and a controversial four months in his, commanding the exact same six-man boat, PCF-94, which I took over after he requested early departure."

Now, what part of "which I took over after he requested early departure" is giving you trouble, sparky? Wink
sparky
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quote I consider the most cleverly deceptive is this:

Quote:
"I was on Mr. Kerry's boat in Vietnam. He doesn't deserve to be commander in chief. "

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110005036

Even with a team of linguists, I couldn't have come up with such a clever way to make it sound like I knew Kerry very well and very closely even though I didn't meet him until much later back in the US.

And to think, he's not even lying. It's true! He was on Mr. Kerry's boat in Vietnam. The GOP focus group method has been taken to new levels.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: