SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who takes a movie camera to war??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doubleh
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Who takes a movie camera to war?? Reply with quote

What kind of soldier takes a movie camera to War? More importantly why?

To create a memento of their exploits? Unlikely - war is an experience most soldiers would assume forget.

In war you try to kill as many of the enemy as possible while trying to avoid them killing you! This is as close to Hell as a living person could ever get. So why would anyone ever want a memento of these experiences - especially if they went beyond them to commit war atrocities? Would they be proud of having done that? Wouldn't they want to forget about that? Think about it! If you were in Vietnam and had committed war crimes against humanity, would you want to be reminded of it by a home movie? Indeed what kind of person would? What kind of a person would be comfortable with this checkered experience as the principle accolade in their resume for Commander in Chief? If Senator Kerry truly felt remorse for alleged 'atrocities' committed by he and his comrades, would not that very remorse be sufficient to make him uncomfortable with the self-aggrandizing laudation of this accolade?

It is likely therefore that the alleged atrocities were greatly exaggerated. If this were not the case, how is it that Senator Kerry could be so content to trumpet his 'war hero' status knowing full well that his participation in war crimes makes him a ‘war criminal’??

Finally, back to the question at hand: why did Senator Kerry take a movie camera to war? In full preponderance of the evidence, it can be concluded that this was done in order to capture footage of Kerry in Vietnam that could be used to portray him as a war hero later on in life - perhaps while running for President. Preposterous - you say? Is it really? It is very likely that this was the case considering just how this footage is being used today, which is to portray Senator Kerry as a war hero! However, this may or may not be the case. So in the interest of being fair and balanced in this matter, how about we ask Senator Kerry for an explanation? The Olympian flip-flops on that should prove very interesting if not hilarious!
Laughing
Heath Hunnicutt
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Who takes a movie camera to war?? Reply with quote

Doubleh wrote:
What kind of soldier takes a movie camera to War? More importantly why?

I have some relatives who also took movie film cameras to the war. My closest Vietnam vet relative had a still film camera and a reel-to-reel tape deck. He had diaries and so forth that he kept on the tapes and played some of them for me. He had photos from the war.

My guess is that someone would take these things to the war because they wanted to record what was happening to them. They might want to leave a journal for their family.

This is one reason I don't get too incensed about "facts" reported based on letters home written by Kerry. I don't think everybody writes home to mom about all the times they have been shot at.

I thought Kerry testified that he had been told there were atrocities and that during a shore leave, he went to the edges of town and saw humanitarian disasters. I did not think he has been quoted saying he saw in atrocities.
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Who takes a movie camera to war?? Reply with quote

Heath Hunnicutt wrote:
My closest Vietnam vet relative had a still film camera and a reel-to-reel tape deck.

A lot of us in-country did that, but you know, the pictures I have are of places, things, and OTHER people. I didn't go around asking someone else to film ME.
Tony
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some good photos of me and my buddies riding a camel in one of the Southern Gulf states during a port call while we were deployed to the Persian Gulf (during Earnest Will and Desert Shield). We're even wearing Arab head dress. If I ever run for office - I could use these to show that I have learned about other cultures and know how to hold my liquor...... Laughing Rolling Eyes

http://tonyk.smugmug.com/photos/1822816-L-1.jpg
USN 1983-1992
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: