SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to read a CAAR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OWP
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: How to read a CAAR Reply with quote

Can someone explain or is there a sit which explains the information on a CAAR? Is there information on the report as to who wrote the CAAR or who was OinC of the operation? Is there an identification number as to which crew was manning each boat?

Also, can a Swiftie here confirm whether it was normal for a boat to be assigned to more than one crew, such that a boat might make two trips in a day but have two different crews? Can it be answered for both cases of SOP and when the assigned PCF is in for repair (will crew go out on another boat?).
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a Swiftee; I'm a Navy vet from the Vietnam era. However, I can answer your questions, because I personally interviewed Joe Muharsky by telephone. Joe was a radarman on PCF-94, the same boat that Kerry commanded, during the same time that Kerry was in Vietnam, but Muharsky never served under Kerry.

He explained to me that they had multiple crews for boats, and when one crew was resting another would be patrolling using the same boat. Furthermore, they would use different boats when their main boat was in for repairs.

As far as reading the CAARs, a former Navy intelligence officer posted a full explanation of that the other day. The short answer is, the CAARs do identify who wrote them.
OWP
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baldeagl,

Thanks for the info. And thank you for your service in the Navy -- it's much appreciated.
stylin19
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldeagl wrote:
I'm not a Swiftee; I'm a Navy vet from the Vietnam era. However, I can answer your questions, because I personally interviewed Joe Muharsky by telephone. Joe was a radarman on PCF-94, the same boat that Kerry commanded, during the same time that Kerry was in Vietnam, but Muharsky never served under Kerry.

He explained to me that they had multiple crews for boats, and when one crew was resting another would be patrolling using the same boat. Furthermore, they would use different boats when their main boat was in for repairs.

As far as reading the CAARs, a former Navy intelligence officer posted a full explanation of that the other day. The short answer is, the CAARs do identify who wrote them.

Did all PCF's have a radarman ?
The reason I ask is, in "Unfit For Command", in "EYEWITNESS STEVE GARDNER",

In the incident where a father and child were killed in a sampan,
PCF-44 Kerry was supposedly monitoring radar, when a sampan came within radar range and closer, and Kerry didn't warn his crew.

Where was PCF-44's radarman ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: